Wrong setting blanks the monitor screen

I just inadvertently changed one of the settings (ATI Utilities) and the
screen suddenly went blank and I have been unable to get the video back
after many reboots. I can't figure out how you can do anything with a PC if
you're unable to see anything on your monitor. Any help would certainly be
appreciated. In case you're wondering, I'm using my Mac right now.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You boot into Safe Mode, which loads a minimum set of drivers, and fix your
problem from there.

"jgvp" <jgvp@cogeco.ca> wrote in message news:BE6DDD7A.258%jgvp@cogeco.ca...
>I just inadvertently changed one of the settings (ATI Utilities) and the
> screen suddenly went blank and I have been unable to get the video back
> after many reboots. I can't figure out how you can do anything with a PC
> if
> you're unable to see anything on your monitor. Any help would certainly be
> appreciated. In case you're wondering, I'm using my Mac right now.

woody

Boot in safe mode. Open display properties. Change all ATI settings to
default. Reboot.

Good luck.

Woody

"jgvp" <jgvp@cogeco.ca> wrote in message news:BE6DDD7A.258%jgvp@cogeco.ca...
>I just inadvertently changed one of the settings (ATI Utilities) and the
> screen suddenly went blank and I have been unable to get the video back
> after many reboots. I can't figure out how you can do anything with a PC
> if
> you're unable to see anything on your monitor. Any help would certainly be
> appreciated. In case you're wondering, I'm using my Mac right now.

you must boot into safe mode by pressing the F8 key right after the first
bios screen,
and then lower the resolution and refresh rate.

If you do not want this to happen again, you must find the drivers for your
screen,
that will tell XP what resolutions/refresh rates it is capable of.

-
Kenny

"jgvp" <jgvp@cogeco.ca> wrote in message news:BE6DDD7A.258%jgvp@cogeco.ca...
>I just inadvertently changed one of the settings (ATI Utilities) and the
> screen suddenly went blank and I have been unable to get the video back
> after many reboots. I can't figure out how you can do anything with a PC
> if
> you're unable to see anything on your monitor. Any help would certainly be
> appreciated. In case you're wondering, I'm using my Mac right now.

Before I received all your responses, and I want to thank you all for your
VGA Mode, and the Last normal boot up (sic), but the problem was that they
didn't work for one reason or another. Safe Mode, and VGA Mode don't present
you with the ATI Control Panel, and the Latest normal.... (?) just didn't
work at all since I had tried to reboot many times in the interim.

It seems, to me at least, that I will never be presented with the ability
to reverse the settings in the ATI Control Panel until I can at least access
the ATI CP again. Is it possible to download the ATI CP in Safe Mode ?
Failing that, it looks like yet another Recovery process only this time
without any opportunity to backup my files.

in article u6dLZx9MFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl, Kenny S at
hotmail@coldmail.com wrote on 3/28/05 4:19 PM:

> you must boot into safe mode by pressing the F8 key right after the first
> bios screen,
> and then lower the resolution and refresh rate.
>
> If you do not want this to happen again, you must find the drivers for your
> screen,
> that will tell XP what resolutions/refresh rates it is capable of.
>
> -
> Kenny
>

> "jgvp" <jgvp@cogeco.ca> wrote in message news:BE6DDD7A.258%jgvp@cogeco.ca...
>> I just inadvertently changed one of the settings (ATI Utilities) and the
>> screen suddenly went blank and I have been unable to get the video back
>> after many reboots. I can't figure out how you can do anything with a PC
>> if
>> you're unable to see anything on your monitor. Any help would certainly be
>> appreciated. In case you're wondering, I'm using my Mac right now.

OK listen, in safe mode you will go and delete the display driver from the
device manager.
That will make XP reload it on its default settings when you restart.

Tell me if this helps

--
Kenny
"jgvp" <jgvp@cogeco.ca> wrote in message news:BE6E5CDB.5D6%jgvp@cogeco.ca...
> Before I received all your responses, and I want to thank you all for your
> Mode,
> VGA Mode, and the Last normal boot up (sic), but the problem was that they
> didn't work for one reason or another. Safe Mode, and VGA Mode don't
> present
> you with the ATI Control Panel, and the Latest normal.... (?) just didn't
> work at all since I had tried to reboot many times in the interim.
>
> It seems, to me at least, that I will never be presented with the ability
> to reverse the settings in the ATI Control Panel until I can at least
> access
> the ATI CP again. Is it possible to download the ATI CP in Safe Mode ?
> Failing that, it looks like yet another Recovery process only this time
> without any opportunity to backup my files.
>

> in article u6dLZx9MFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl, Kenny S at
> hotmail@coldmail.com wrote on 3/28/05 4:19 PM:
>
>> you must boot into safe mode by pressing the F8 key right after the first
>> bios screen,
>> and then lower the resolution and refresh rate.
>>
>> If you do not want this to happen again, you must find the drivers for
>> your
>> screen,
>> that will tell XP what resolutions/refresh rates it is capable of.
>>
>> -
>> Kenny
>>

>> "jgvp" <jgvp@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>>> I just inadvertently changed one of the settings (ATI Utilities) and the
>>> screen suddenly went blank and I have been unable to get the video back
>>> after many reboots. I can't figure out how you can do anything with a PC
>>> if
>>> you're unable to see anything on your monitor. Any help would certainly
>>> be
>>> appreciated. In case you're wondering, I'm using my Mac right now.

You can also do a system restore to a time BEFORE you made the resolution
change (from safe mode)

--
Kenny
"jgvp" <jgvp@cogeco.ca> wrote in message news:BE6E5CDB.5D6%jgvp@cogeco.ca...
> Before I received all your responses, and I want to thank you all for your
> Mode,
> VGA Mode, and the Last normal boot up (sic), but the problem was that they
> didn't work for one reason or another. Safe Mode, and VGA Mode don't
> present
> you with the ATI Control Panel, and the Latest normal.... (?) just didn't
> work at all since I had tried to reboot many times in the interim.
>
> It seems, to me at least, that I will never be presented with the ability
> to reverse the settings in the ATI Control Panel until I can at least
> access
> the ATI CP again. Is it possible to download the ATI CP in Safe Mode ?
> Failing that, it looks like yet another Recovery process only this time
> without any opportunity to backup my files.
>

> in article u6dLZx9MFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl, Kenny S at
> hotmail@coldmail.com wrote on 3/28/05 4:19 PM:
>
>> you must boot into safe mode by pressing the F8 key right after the first
>> bios screen,
>> and then lower the resolution and refresh rate.
>>
>> If you do not want this to happen again, you must find the drivers for
>> your
>> screen,
>> that will tell XP what resolutions/refresh rates it is capable of.
>>
>> -
>> Kenny
>>

>> "jgvp" <jgvp@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>>> I just inadvertently changed one of the settings (ATI Utilities) and the
>>> screen suddenly went blank and I have been unable to get the video back
>>> after many reboots. I can't figure out how you can do anything with a PC
>>> if
>>> you're unable to see anything on your monitor. Any help would certainly
>>> be
>>> appreciated. In case you're wondering, I'm using my Mac right now.

I'm relieved to be able to say that I eventually was able to resurrect my
monitor screen via the VGA Mode route and then proceeding to the ATI web
site. My grateful thanks to Kenny S, Jerry and Woody for their kind
submissions, they were certainly appreciated.

in article BE6DDD7A.258%jgvp@cogeco.ca, jgvp at jgvp@cogeco.ca wrote on
3/28/05 4:12 PM:

"jgvp" wrote:
> I just inadvertently changed one of the settings (ATI
> Utilities) and the
> screen suddenly went blank and I have been unable to get the
> video back
> after many reboots. I can't figure out how you can do anything
> with a PC if
> you're unable to see anything on your monitor. Any help would
> certainly be
> appreciated. In case you're wondering, I'm using my Mac right
> now.

I’ve a similar problem, maybe easier or more difficult than jgvp’s,
I’ve bothe win2k/win xp installed, accidently changed winxp’s
"display settings" to something blank the screen, however, I can
choose to boot from win2k, which is still OK, anyway to reset display
settings of winxp from win2k in the same PC?
otherwise, press F8 how to guarrantee to boot from winxp’s safemode,
not win2k’s safe mode?
any helps greetly appreciated.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-Wrong-setting-blanks-monitor-screen-ftopict350511.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1117294

I don't know, as I haven't a dual boot system now, by my guess:
Either that F8 gives the same choice of W2k or XP and then the boot menu for
that OS,
os
you get the default OS's boot menu..

--