cant read photos from sd card

March 28, 2005 9:59:06 PM

I have recently upgraded to SP2 and cannot read the jpg files or video files
from my camera through a sandisk card reader with a sandisk 256mb sd card. I
have a home built pentium 3 and everything was fine until sp2. I have tried
various fixes suggested here for similarly described problems such as
removal of
realplayer 10, the regsvr32 shimgvw.dll and the removal and reinstallation of
the usb devices as fixes with no sucess. The thumbnails will come up and say
preview not available or in paint shop pro 6 will say this is not a valid
JPEG file. The file also says this when it is transferred to the hard drive
of the comupter and i try to open it. The file is listed as a jpg file when I
check. It comes up on the camera fine when reinserted. The camera is a HP
735. The video from the sd card generated on the camera will say cannot play
the current file the player might not support the file type etc. Picture and
video from the camera downloaded froom the card prior to sp2 all are fine.
Any thoughts?

Expand AllCollapse All

More about : read photos card

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 1:05:14 AM

Hi Rob,

It may have something to do with SP2 and your card reader. Did you try
downlaoding the files in disk drive mode?

Step 1: Changing the USB configuration to Disk Drive mode

Changing the USB configuration to Disk Drive mode will allow the camera
to appear as a removable disk drive on the computer.

1. In the Playback menu or Capture menu, use the arrow buttons to
highlight the Setup option (wrench icon).
2. Press the OK button.
3. Use the arrow buttons to scroll through the Setup menu options
until the USB configuration option is highlighted.
4. Press the OK button.
5. Highlight and select the Disk Drive option.
6. Press the OK button to return to the Setup menu.
7. Exit the Capture or Playback menu and power off the camera.

Step 2: Connecting the camera to the computer and unloading the images

1. Connect the special USB cable that was shipped with your camera to
the computer and the camera. (The small end of the USB cable
should be connected to the camera.)
2. Power on the camera.
3. Double-click the My Computer icon on the Desktop. A "Removable
Disk" icon will be listed.
4. Double-click the Removable Disk icon.
5. Copy the image files from the Removable Disk on to the computer's
Hard disk.

Let us know if that works.

"Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recently upgraded to SP2 and cannot read the jpg files or video
>files
> from my camera through a sandisk card reader with a sandisk 256mb sd card.
> have a home built pentium 3 and everything was fine until sp2. I have
> tried
> various fixes suggested here for similarly described problems such as
> removal of
> realplayer 10, the regsvr32 shimgvw.dll and the removal and reinstallation
> of
> the usb devices as fixes with no sucess. The thumbnails will come up and
> say
> preview not available or in paint shop pro 6 will say this is not a valid
> JPEG file. The file also says this when it is transferred to the hard
> drive
> of the comupter and i try to open it. The file is listed as a jpg file
> when I
> check. It comes up on the camera fine when reinserted. The camera is a HP
> 735. The video from the sd card generated on the camera will say cannot
> play
> the current file the player might not support the file type etc. Picture
> and
> video from the camera downloaded froom the card prior to sp2 all are fine.
> Any thoughts?
>

> Expand AllCollapse All
March 30, 2005 9:37:01 PM

Hi Abhilash,

Your help and suggestions solved the problem. You wouldnt belive how long I
have been searching for an answer to this problem. Actually I hooked the
camera up with the card in it directly to the usb. I had previously only used
a card reader instead of the camera. I couldnt find the playback or capture
menu on the camera so i just gave it a try as is. It showed up as a camera
and not a drive in my computer. I could see the pictures and download and
view them. I tried both the wizard and manually downloading and they both
worked equally well. All this time it has been the card reader just as you
said and not xp sp2 as I had thought. Just for future reference for others
with the same problem as me I have a sandisk imagemate model SDDR-93 SD/MMC
card reader which apparently is not compatible with SP2 on my machine. Again
thanks so much for your help. Rob

"Abhilash Tibrewal" wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> It may have something to do with SP2 and your card reader. Did you try
> downlaoding the files in disk drive mode?
>
> Step 1: Changing the USB configuration to Disk Drive mode
>
> Changing the USB configuration to Disk Drive mode will allow the camera
> to appear as a removable disk drive on the computer.
>
> 1. In the Playback menu or Capture menu, use the arrow buttons to
> highlight the Setup option (wrench icon).
> 2. Press the OK button.
> 3. Use the arrow buttons to scroll through the Setup menu options
> until the USB configuration option is highlighted.
> 4. Press the OK button.
> 5. Highlight and select the Disk Drive option.
> 6. Press the OK button to return to the Setup menu.
> 7. Exit the Capture or Playback menu and power off the camera.
>
> Step 2: Connecting the camera to the computer and unloading the images
>
> 1. Connect the special USB cable that was shipped with your camera to
> the computer and the camera. (The small end of the USB cable
> should be connected to the camera.)
> 2. Power on the camera.
> 3. Double-click the My Computer icon on the Desktop. A "Removable
> Disk" icon will be listed.
> 4. Double-click the Removable Disk icon.
> 5. Copy the image files from the Removable Disk on to the computer's
> Hard disk.
>
> Let us know if that works.
>

> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have recently upgraded to SP2 and cannot read the jpg files or video
> >files
> > from my camera through a sandisk card reader with a sandisk 256mb sd card.
> > have a home built pentium 3 and everything was fine until sp2. I have
> > tried
> > various fixes suggested here for similarly described problems such as
> > removal of
> > realplayer 10, the regsvr32 shimgvw.dll and the removal and reinstallation
> > of
> > the usb devices as fixes with no sucess. The thumbnails will come up and
> > say
> > preview not available or in paint shop pro 6 will say this is not a valid
> > JPEG file. The file also says this when it is transferred to the hard
> > drive
> > of the comupter and i try to open it. The file is listed as a jpg file
> > when I
> > check. It comes up on the camera fine when reinserted. The camera is a HP
> > 735. The video from the sd card generated on the camera will say cannot
> > play
> > the current file the player might not support the file type etc. Picture
> > and
> > video from the camera downloaded froom the card prior to sp2 all are fine.
> > Any thoughts?
> >

> > Expand AllCollapse All

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 10:38:28 PM

You are welcome; I am glad my suggestions helped :)

----
Abhilash Tibrewal

!