newbie

I have a $100 budget for a gaming card. Can anyone make the best
recommendation? My motherboard is only able to support AGP 8x slot.

Thanks

At that budget you're looking at something like a 128mb FX5200 nVidia
chipset.

--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a $100 budget for a gaming card. Can anyone make the best
>recommendation? My motherboard is only able to support AGP 8x slot.
>
> Thanks

Don't use price point to select your video/graphics card.
Pick the game you "must" play and see what video card is
required to run that game. Understand that such details as
refresh rate (frames per second, color level, and
resolution) will be better on the higher cost cards. If you
buy a "cheap" card it may not run the game you want, fast
enough or with a picture that satisfies your needs. Also, a
15 or 17 inch CRT monitor does not need as much graphics
power as a 19 inch or bigger monitor.

Check reviews at hardware sites such as
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/index.html They
also have prices search functions on the site.

Find a card that will do what you want and then shop for the
price by checking on-line prices at various web sites,
www.pricewatch.com www.pricegrabber.com are two such sites.

8x AGP is the fastest AGP, so you can run any of the current
cards.

"Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:u3u$DsBNFHA.2464@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
|I have a $100 budget for a gaming card. Can anyone make the
best
| recommendation? My motherboard is only able to support AGP
8x slot.

| Thanks

newbie

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately $100 is about what I can budget for a video card. So
obviously, I am going to want the best for my buck.

The games requirements I want to play is below:

2.0 Ghz CPU
Directx 9.0b
Geforce 4 128 MB (Not MX) or equivalent DirectX9 compatible videocard
512 Megabytes of RAM
2 GB free hard drive space
(additional space required for Windows swap-file and
DirectX 9.0b installation)
16x CD-ROM drive
Directx 9.0b Compatible Sound Card
MS compatible mouse
Keyboard

I have everything covered except the video card. Below are some video card
candidates I have in mind, with the first one listed as my top one. Let me
know if think otherwise. Thanks

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-145-110&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-240-041&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-240-021&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-295&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-320&depa=1

Newbie wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> Unfortunately $100 is about what I can budget for a video card. So
> obviously, I am going to want the best for my buck.
>
> The games requirements I want to play is below:
>
> 2.0 Ghz CPU
> Directx 9.0b
> Geforce 4 128 MB (Not MX) or equivalent DirectX9 compatible videocard
> 512 Megabytes of RAM
> 2 GB free hard drive space
> (additional space required for Windows swap-file and
> DirectX 9.0b installation)
> 16x CD-ROM drive
> Directx 9.0b Compatible Sound Card
> MS compatible mouse
> Keyboard
>
> I have everything covered except the video card. Below are some video card
> candidates I have in mind, with the first one listed as my top one. Let me
> know if think otherwise. Thanks

I think you will be happier with
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-127-152&depa=1
This has better specs than the other cards you listed for the same price.

> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-145-110&depa=1
>

> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-240-041&depa=1
>

> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-240-021&depa=1
>

> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-295&depa=1
>

> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-320&depa=1
>

> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
>
>>Don't use price point to select your video/graphics card.
>>Pick the game you "must" play and see what video card is
>>required to run that game. Understand that such details as
>>refresh rate (frames per second, color level, and
>>resolution) will be better on the higher cost cards. If you
>>buy a "cheap" card it may not run the game you want, fast
>>enough or with a picture that satisfies your needs. Also, a
>>15 or 17 inch CRT monitor does not need as much graphics
>>power as a 19 inch or bigger monitor.
>>
>>Check reviews at hardware sites such as
>>http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/index.html They
>>also have prices search functions on the site.
>>
>>Find a card that will do what you want and then shop for the
>>price by checking on-line prices at various web sites,
>>www.pricewatch.com www.pricegrabber.com are two such sites.
>>
>>8x AGP is the fastest AGP, so you can run any of the current
>>cards.
>>

>>--
>>The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
>>But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
>>

>>"Newbie" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>message news:u3u$DsBNFHA.2464@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>|I have a $100 budget for a gaming card. Can anyone make the
>>best
>>| recommendation? My motherboard is only able to support AGP
>>8x slot.
>>|
>>| Thanks

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:u3u$DsBNFHA.2464@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Newbie <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I have a $100 budget for a gaming card. Can anyone make the best
> recommendation? My motherboard is only able to support AGP 8x slot.
>
> Thanks

With all of the excelent advice given to you here I will add that you should
pay very close attention to Jim's advice. I set a $100 dollar limit on this
system BUT I am not a gamer. I ended up with an ATI Radeon 9600 with 256 MB
of RAM. Here's a good link to get you started as you can compare the actual
prices which will include shipping. Be sure to read the vendor reviews and
research the vendor before buying your product as not all companies seem to
be able to ship in a timely manner and I know that when I'm waiting for a
computer part I get really antsy :)

http://www.pricewatch.com/h/prc.aspx?i=37&a=5630

Galen

Scott

Recently I purchased a Sapphire Radeon 9600 256mb 8x AGP for about 100
Canadian...80 USD. I am quite pleased with it and it has added benefit
of no cooling fan.
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 20:52:04 -0800, "Newbie"