XerXes

Distinguished
May 20, 2001

Hey, I was thinking of purchasing the model ST61G4L barebones and
building myself a computer. I got one question though, I wanted to
stick a ATI X800 Pro 256mb video card in this bad boy, and was
wondering if the power supply in there is enough to handle it? a 250W
powersupply leaves me wondering. Also, if it can't, anyone know a
powersupply that will do the trick? Thanks for the time...

Although the ATI X800 Pro is not on the Shuttle list of cards, one can't
expect it to be there yet as it's new. However, the X800 uses the .13 micron
technology that uses less power and produces less heat. In fact, it uses
about the same amount of power under load (68 watts) as the Radeon 9800XT
which is on the approved Shuttle list.

A 250 watt PS doesn't seem like much but, on the other hand, you can't get
too much into a Shuttle to begin with. It simply doesn't have the space or
slots. Shuttle doesn't give much head room for overcloking either so power
consumption do to overclocking isn't a consideration either.

There's no guarantee here but I believe you're going to be just fine with
this particular graphics card. On the other hand, stay away from the
competing Gforce FX 6800 Ultra...that puppy is hungry and consumes 120 watts
under load. Any graphics card that recommends a PS of 480 watts or more is a
looser in my mind.

Hope this helps....Mark

Shuttle SN41G2
200 watt PS