Where to put external harddiscs ? / avoiding deletion by m..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.win2000.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

I have an external USB hard disc with a lot of backup files on it.
Where should I put (or better: where should I NOT put) this external harddisc in order
be safe to not accidential delete the contents?

I could imagine that e.g putting it on top of a monitor would delete the contents because
of the magnetic field of the monitor.

What about TVs or magnetic transformator for halogen lamps or laser printers?

What distance from these devices is safe?

Tom

"Thomas Jerkins" <tomjerk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have an external USB hard disc with a lot of backup files on it.
> Where should I put (or better: where should I NOT put) this external
> harddisc in order
> be safe to not accidential delete the contents?
>
> I could imagine that e.g putting it on top of a monitor would delete the
> contents because
> of the magnetic field of the monitor.
>
> What about TVs or magnetic transformator for halogen lamps or laser
> printers?
>
> What distance from these devices is safe?
>
> Tom

Personally I wouldn't rely on a HDD (any sort) as a backup medium because
what happens if you drop it? (and accidents do happen). Also if the drive is
keep static for a long time (don't ask me to quantify that), there's a
chance the motor wont start up again. Things such as tapes and DVD RW media
are the best way to go. If you must go with a HDD the safest bet would be to
put it in a drawer somewhere well clear (at least a foot or two) of all or
the above. Precisely how close you could put it will depend on the
individual machine characteristics - how close did you intend to put it -
and close to which of the items listed? Do you not have drawers that aren't
near any of these things?

Paul

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:47:03 +0200, tomjerk@hotmail.com (Thomas
Jerkins) wrote:

>I have an external USB hard disc with a lot of backup files on it.
>Where should I put (or better: where should I NOT put) this external harddisc in order
>be safe to not accidential delete the contents?
>
>I could imagine that e.g putting it on top of a monitor would delete the contents because
>of the magnetic field of the monitor.
>
>What about TVs or magnetic transformator for halogen lamps or laser printers?
>
>What distance from these devices is safe?
>
>Tom

Fields fall off very fast. A few inches away is probably OK from
anything but an MRI machine.
If you think about it you are writing on one side of a diskette and
not bothering the data on the other side. Certainly if you put this
disk back in the padded shipping box it should be invulnerable.

Thomas Jerkins wrote:

> I have an external USB hard disc with a lot of backup files on it.
> Where should I put (or better: where should I NOT put) this external harddisc in order
> be safe to not accidential delete the contents?
>
> I could imagine that e.g putting it on top of a monitor would delete the contents because
> of the magnetic field of the monitor.
>
> What about TVs or magnetic transformator for halogen lamps or laser printers?
>
> What distance from these devices is safe?
>
> Tom

hello, i'm no expert, but have always been told tvs, radios, or
anything else that has a magnet in it could erase a disk. and that
also could include power supplies and transformers that has or
produces a such field. as for safe distance maybe aleast a couple
feet or more. John P.

Jerkins) wrote:

>I have an external USB hard disc with a lot of backup files on it.
>Where should I put (or better: where should I NOT put) this external harddisc in order
>be safe to not accidential delete the contents?
>
>I could imagine that e.g putting it on top of a monitor would delete the contents because
>of the magnetic field of the monitor.
>
>What about TVs or magnetic transformator for halogen lamps or laser printers?
>
>What distance from these devices is safe?
>
>Tom

Besides the best place on top of a unshielded massive subwoofer I
guess any obvious place thats cool , vibration free and not close to
any magnetic field sources - I would think.

Those were interesting and well-written posts. Thank you both.

Modem Ani

> In article <gPe2e.81055$Q83.33053@bignews5.bellsouth.net>,
> John McGaw <nobody@nowh.ere> wrote:
> >Thomas Jerkins wrote:
> >> I have an external USB hard disc with a lot of backup files on it.
> >> Where should I put (or better: where should I NOT put) this external
harddisc in order
> >> be safe to not accidential delete the contents?
> >>
> >> I could imagine that e.g putting it on top of a monitor would delete
the contents because
> >> of the magnetic field of the monitor.
> >>
> >> What about TVs or magnetic transformator for halogen lamps or laser
printers?

> >> What distance from these devices is safe?
> >>
> >> Tom
> >>
> >Put is someplace dry and cool and where it is safe from being knocked
> >about. I would worry very little about external magnetic fields unless I
> >was intending to place it inside an operating MRI machine or degaussing
> >device. The fields emitted by normal household or office equipment are
> >weak enough that the field that actually penetrates to the inside of a
> >drive is not enough to make any difference. If you don't believe me,
> >find a dead drive and disassemble it -- inside you will find some of the
> >strongest permanent magnets that you are likely to come across. If these
> >magnets do no harm to the data being literally inside the drive the weak
> >field from an external source isn't likely to matter.
> >--
> >John McGaw
> >[Knoxville, TN, USA]
> >http://johnmcgaw.com
>

> Agreed. If you look at the specs for the strenght of the field
> necessary to write on a modern disk (gauss-oerstads is une unit of
> measure) you'd find it's thousands of times stronger than the earth's
> magnetic field and is you walked by a a device that made such a field
> it would pull your belt buckle, watchband or anything else made of a
> magnetic material. Iron objects in the vicinity become flying hazards
> when a magnet this powerfull is energized. The only magnets outsine
> laboratories anywhere near powerfull enough to affect a disk drive are
> MRI machines. See the third page here, for hazards;
> http://www.mbi.ufl.edu/facilities/amris/safety.pdf
>

> The disk drive has an electromagnet that's as powerfull as an MRI
> machine. The reason you don't notice is that it's litterally
> microscopic and the field is effective over distances measured in
> millions of an inch before it falls off.
> --
> a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
>
> Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Tim

In a fireproof safe!

Nowhere else!

John P. Streetman Wrote:
> Thomas Jerkins wrote:-
>
> I have an external USB hard disc with a lot of backup files on it.
> Where should I put (or better: where should I NOT put) this external
> harddisc in order
> be safe to not accidential delete the contents?
>
> I could imagine that e.g putting it on top of a monitor would delete
> the contents because
> of the magnetic field of the monitor.
>
> What about TVs or magnetic transformator for halogen lamps or laser
> printers?
>
> What distance from these devices is safe?
>
> Tom-
>
> hello, i'm no expert, but have always been told tvs, radios, or
> anything else that has a magnet in it could erase a disk. and that
> also could include power supplies and transformers that has or
> produces a such field. as for safe distance maybe aleast a couple
> feet or more. John P.

You folks didn't tell him about magnetic fields from solar flares on
the sun!
Treeman

--
Treeman

dl

Dont be paronoid, apart from putting it on top of something where it could
fall off. Just keep it on you desk, if allways connected, otherwise in a
draw.

"Thomas Jerkins" <tomjerk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have an external USB hard disc with a lot of backup files on it.
> Where should I put (or better: where should I NOT put) this external
harddisc in order
> be safe to not accidential delete the contents?
>
> I could imagine that e.g putting it on top of a monitor would delete the
contents because
> of the magnetic field of the monitor.
>
> What about TVs or magnetic transformator for halogen lamps or laser
printers?

> What distance from these devices is safe?
>
> Tom

HDDs are reasonably well shielded, if you think about the one(s) inside your
PC, it's surrounded by transformers, power leads etc.
As long as you are sensible, and don't put it right on top of the monitor or
right next to a large pair of speakers or transformer you should be fine.
Even if you did, you would probably be ok, but it doesn't do to tempt
fate...