Shuttle XPC SB62G2 XP install gone wrong

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I had to reinstall XP so I decided to format and start from scratch.
That was last weekend. I have since tried installing over 20 times
and each time I get a different install error.

This is my 5th XPC I have worked on, I consider myself an
unprofessional computer expert BUT that doesn't mean I am not missing
something.

The system ran fine before I had to reinstall (software issue -
adware).
It has P4 2.4GHz HT, 1GB Mushkin PC3200 Memory, Seagate 160GB SATA HD,
and everything else is stock.

I have tried a different HD (smaller and IDE), different RAM, and 3
different CD Drives.

Sometimes it makes it through installation until the first reboot.
One time it took until I did the updates from Microsoft. I have the
most up to date BIOS, and I am quite certain it is set up correctly
(although I am going to look at the SATA settings one more time). I
have tried multiple XP CDs, and I have made sure that the HD is
partitioned to a small size b/c XP doesn't recognize over 137GB until
I get the update.

I do not know what else to try, I am open to suggestions.

Also, I have tried other things, but there have been so many attempts
I can't list every variation. Any help would be most appreciated.

I either get the blue screen o' death, or a warning that says "The
system has recovered from a serious error".

I am thinking of 0ing out the HD and trying that, but I have
reformatted every time I install.

Argh. Thanks for the help.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Well, I did most of those things you suggested. The BIOS one did the
trick, sort of... I now have the OS loaded and most of my software
back on it. A great leap after a week of being without my main PC,
and spending close to 30 hours in the evenings on it (my wife hates
computers now!)

However, it is still crashing every once in a while. The only
warnings that Microsoft gives me, after I report the crash, is that it
is associated with the device driver. Interesting that I am using the
same one I used for the 6 months the computer worked fine.

So I am going to get another Video Card and give it a shot, not sure
if it will improve squat, but if it fixes it I'll be happy.

One weird thing is that Shuttle says the comp can put up to 64mb of
shared RAM into the video using the onboard vga, but it only lets me
put up to 16mb. I am not sure what this means, also I think this
setting was part of my problem. I had to change it back to 8mb to get
the thing to stay running while I loaded the OS.

a slightly smaller argh!

If you install a new video card, don't forget to remove the existing
drivers first or you might be right back in the s#*t. BTW my wife
hates computers too. I think all wives hate computers!
DD
"It's easy when you know how..."
Johnny Shines

Hi David,

"David DeCristoforo" <david@privacy.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> If you install a new video card, don't forget to remove the existing
> drivers first or you might be right back in the s#*t. BTW my wife
> hates computers too. I think all wives hate computers!

Well, my GF plays online-games all day......but Ill take this as another
reason to never marry :)

Read ya,

Ralf.

I bought a Shuttle and installed their recommended memory..... twice but it
didn't work. I finaly got it to work on the third set of memory. Don't
scrimp on the memory, buy the best.....