System with AK12A freeze

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2004 1:09:57 PM

Hello,
I have a Shuttle AK12A motherboard with latest BIOS (AK12A0K), Geforce 256
grafic card, 3 x 128 MB RAM, a 1200 MHz AMD, Realtek 8139 based Network
card, 40 and 80 GB harddisk, 300 W power supply. The OS is Winodws XP Home +
SP1 + latest patches.
The system freezes sometimes, even with no execution of programs.
I made a RAM test for 7 h and a CPU test for 5 h. The system works. During
CPU test its tempature was no more than 51 C.
I found that every time I want to copy something through network the system
freezes. During copy from partition to partition or from CD/ DVD to harddisk
it works well. I changed the network card with the same result of freezing.
I remember the same problem was with Win98SE.
Did anyone hear about such a problem ?

thank you

Nils

More about : system ak12a freeze

June 7, 2004 6:55:34 PM

Nils Vogel wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a Shuttle AK12A motherboard with latest BIOS (AK12A0K), Geforce 256
> grafic card, 3 x 128 MB RAM, a 1200 MHz AMD, Realtek 8139 based Network
> card, 40 and 80 GB harddisk, 300 W power supply. The OS is Winodws XP Home +
> SP1 + latest patches.
> The system freezes sometimes, even with no execution of programs.
> I made a RAM test for 7 h and a CPU test for 5 h. The system works. During
> CPU test its tempature was no more than 51 C.
> I found that every time I want to copy something through network the system
> freezes. During copy from partition to partition or from CD/ DVD to harddisk
> it works well. I changed the network card with the same result of freezing.
> I remember the same problem was with Win98SE.
> Did anyone hear about such a problem ?
>
> thank you
>
> Nils

No, but it certainly sounds like the network card is involved. Did you
replace with the same type or a different one? If you used the same
type, it's possible there's a flaw with those drivers.

Another possibility is that your NIC in the slot in which you have it
installed is sharing interrupts with something else with high traffic.
You could try putting the NIC in another slot.

FWIW, I've had good results with Intel cards (or IBM, which, I believe,
is the same thing, as are some HP cards I think).

The AK12A I have here is one of the most reliable motherboards I've ever
had. I wish they still made it.

a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2004 9:00:00 PM

"CJT" <abujlehc@prodigy.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Nils Vogel wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I have a Shuttle AK12A motherboard with latest BIOS (AK12A0K), Geforce
256
> > grafic card, 3 x 128 MB RAM, a 1200 MHz AMD, Realtek 8139 based Network
> > card, 40 and 80 GB harddisk, 300 W power supply. The OS is Winodws XP
Home +
> > SP1 + latest patches.
> > The system freezes sometimes, even with no execution of programs.
> > I made a RAM test for 7 h and a CPU test for 5 h. The system works.
During
> > CPU test its tempature was no more than 51 C.
> > I found that every time I want to copy something through network the
system
> > freezes. During copy from partition to partition or from CD/ DVD to
harddisk
> > it works well. I changed the network card with the same result of
freezing.
> > I remember the same problem was with Win98SE.
> > Did anyone hear about such a problem ?
> >
> > thank you
> >
> > Nils
> >

> No, but it certainly sounds like the network card is involved. Did you
> replace with the same type or a different one? If you used the same
> type, it's possible there's a flaw with those drivers.
>
> Another possibility is that your NIC in the slot in which you have it
> installed is sharing interrupts with something else with high traffic.
> You could try putting the NIC in another slot.
>
> FWIW, I've had good results with Intel cards (or IBM, which, I believe,
> is the same thing, as are some HP cards I think).
>
> The AK12A I have here is one of the most reliable motherboards I've ever
> had. I wish they still made it.
>
> --
> The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
> minimize spam. Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.

The changed network card is with a DEC chip. I already tried another slot.
All components have their own interrupt. I will try other PCI slots. May be
?

Thank you
June 7, 2004 9:37:30 PM

Nils Vogel wrote:

> "CJT" <abujlehc@prodigy.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>>Nils Vogel wrote:
>>

>>>Hello,
>>>I have a Shuttle AK12A motherboard with latest BIOS (AK12A0K), Geforce
>
> 256
>
>>>grafic card, 3 x 128 MB RAM, a 1200 MHz AMD, Realtek 8139 based Network
>>>card, 40 and 80 GB harddisk, 300 W power supply. The OS is Winodws XP
>
> Home +
>
>>>SP1 + latest patches.
>>>The system freezes sometimes, even with no execution of programs.
>>>I made a RAM test for 7 h and a CPU test for 5 h. The system works.
>
> During
>
>>>CPU test its tempature was no more than 51 C.
>>>I found that every time I want to copy something through network the
>
> system
>
>>>freezes. During copy from partition to partition or from CD/ DVD to
>
> harddisk
>
>>>it works well. I changed the network card with the same result of
>
> freezing.
>
>>>I remember the same problem was with Win98SE.
>>>Did anyone hear about such a problem ?
>>>
>>>thank you
>>>
>>>Nils
>>>

>>No, but it certainly sounds like the network card is involved. Did you
>>replace with the same type or a different one? If you used the same
>>type, it's possible there's a flaw with those drivers.
>>
>>Another possibility is that your NIC in the slot in which you have it
>>installed is sharing interrupts with something else with high traffic.
>>You could try putting the NIC in another slot.
>>
>>FWIW, I've had good results with Intel cards (or IBM, which, I believe,
>>is the same thing, as are some HP cards I think).
>>
>>The AK12A I have here is one of the most reliable motherboards I've ever
>>had. I wish they still made it.
>>
>>--
>>The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
>>minimize spam. Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
>

> The changed network card is with a DEC chip. I already tried another slot.
> All components have their own interrupt. I will try other PCI slots. May be
> ?
>
> Thank you

The DEC tulip should be pretty well debugged by now! I'm afraid I don't
have anything to add, except good luck. Perhaps somebody else will have
some ideas.