an35n ultra problems

Hi all, I'm having a problem with my mb and was wondering if anyone
else has ran into similar with this one.

Ok, here is my setup,
an35-400 mb
512 mb ddr 400 mhz ram
wd 80 gb, and wd 160 gb hd (160 is master)
amd 2600+ cpu
dvd and cd rw drives
xp home edition

When I got the first mb everything was fine for about a month or so,
then I noticed it was getting slow booting up, would stay at the post
screen for a while, and then would finaly boot. After a few weeks,
suddenly it wouldn't boot at all, settings would default to factory
(100 mhz bus speed, etc...), but if I went into bios settings (which
took several minutes to bring up the menu) it would reload my
settings. Once I got past this point, the system would pause for
several min and would not finish loading windows (said my boot disk
wasn't a system disk). As if this all wasn't strange enough, if I put
my xp install disk in, it would pass where it asked if I wanted to
boot from cd, if I left it alone, it would boot normally. Now dsl
connection is going flaky. the same time that it started having
trouble booting, my connection speed reported by the built in network
card dropped from 100 to 28.8. even if I connect to my small network
in my house, it still says 28.8 instead of 100. My router and all
network cards are all 100 base.

I had the same problems with the first card, and returned it to the
shop I bought it, installed the new card and it worked fine for about
a month and a half, and now it has the same exact problems. I have all
the latest bios, drivers, and updates, but can't see that it makes any
difference.

Did I just get 2 bad motherboards, or is there something I'm missing?

Paul

Newbie observations.......
I guess you are using the correct cable from the motherboard to the HD.

What brand of ram are you running?
I had a problem with my new computer not fully booting or errors occuring.
I originally had a brand new Kingston ram module, but either it was
defective or ?? After I replaced it with another brand and then replaced
the Kingston all is fine!

Did you try to reseat everything?
How is that power supply? brand and wattage? In finding my problem, before
changing the ram, I purchased a better PS and noticed the errors did not
occur as quickly, but they still occured.

Any heat problems with it? Proper amount of cooling compound on the cpu?
Good A/C wiring in the house? :)
--
later,
dave

my system:
AK32VN v3.1 (set J2 jumper so CPU reads 2400+)
AMD XP 2400 with cooler fan
1 x 256 Centon ddr 266MHz PC2100
1 x 256 Kingston ddr 266MHz PC2100
Antec case (new Antec True Power 430 Watt Power Supply)
NEW WD 40 gig Hard Drive
Diamond Stealth 540III AGP 32MB
AVerDVD EZMaker Video Capture Card
XP Home

"Paul Bettes" <pbettes@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hi all, I'm having a problem with my mb and was wondering if anyone
> else has ran into similar with this one.
>
> Ok, here is my setup,
> an35-400 mb
> 512 mb ddr 400 mhz ram
> wd 80 gb, and wd 160 gb hd (160 is master)
> amd 2600+ cpu
> dvd and cd rw drives
> xp home edition
>
> When I got the first mb everything was fine for about a month or so,
> then I noticed it was getting slow booting up, would stay at the post
> screen for a while, and then would finaly boot. After a few weeks,
> suddenly it wouldn't boot at all, settings would default to factory
> (100 mhz bus speed, etc...), but if I went into bios settings (which
> took several minutes to bring up the menu) it would reload my
> settings. Once I got past this point, the system would pause for
> several min and would not finish loading windows (said my boot disk
> wasn't a system disk). As if this all wasn't strange enough, if I put
> my xp install disk in, it would pass where it asked if I wanted to
> boot from cd, if I left it alone, it would boot normally. Now dsl
> connection is going flaky. the same time that it started having
> trouble booting, my connection speed reported by the built in network
> card dropped from 100 to 28.8. even if I connect to my small network
> in my house, it still says 28.8 instead of 100. My router and all
> network cards are all 100 base.
>
> I had the same problems with the first card, and returned it to the
> shop I bought it, installed the new card and it worked fine for about
> a month and a half, and now it has the same exact problems. I have all
> the latest bios, drivers, and updates, but can't see that it makes any
> difference.
>
> Did I just get 2 bad motherboards, or is there something I'm missing?
>
> Paul

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 23:16:11 GMT, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
<NO_vwdoc1_SPAM_@hotmail.com_PLEASE> wrote:

>Newbie observations.......
>I guess you are using the correct cable from the motherboard to the HD.
>
>What brand of ram are you running?
>I had a problem with my new computer not fully booting or errors occuring.
>I originally had a brand new Kingston ram module, but either it was
>defective or ?? After I replaced it with another brand and then replaced
>the Kingston all is fine!
>
>Did you try to reseat everything?
>How is that power supply? brand and wattage? In finding my problem, before
>changing the ram, I purchased a better PS and noticed the errors did not
>occur as quickly, but they still occured.
>
>Any heat problems with it? Proper amount of cooling compound on the cpu?
>Good A/C wiring in the house? :)

I am using the ide cable that came with the drive (blue side on mb),
brand new kingston ddr memory (tested good with diagnostics)
new case/powersupply (350 w allied)
cpu cooler is rated for up to a 3200+ chip with thermal lake (if I
remember the name correctly) applied by the techs where I bought
everything
I have a surge supressor, uninturruptible power supply, and another
surge supressor/power distributor.

The errors are very repeatable, they happen every time.

I've tried reseating the ram/cpu/all cables/ and power connections,
still same problems. :(

Have you tried changing the CMOS battery?

Dom

"Paul Bettes" <pbettes@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hi all, I'm having a problem with my mb and was wondering if anyone
> else has ran into similar with this one.
>
> Ok, here is my setup,
> an35-400 mb
> 512 mb ddr 400 mhz ram
> wd 80 gb, and wd 160 gb hd (160 is master)
> amd 2600+ cpu
> dvd and cd rw drives
> xp home edition
>
> When I got the first mb everything was fine for about a month or so,
> then I noticed it was getting slow booting up, would stay at the post
> screen for a while, and then would finaly boot. After a few weeks,
> suddenly it wouldn't boot at all, settings would default to factory
> (100 mhz bus speed, etc...), but if I went into bios settings (which
> took several minutes to bring up the menu) it would reload my
> settings. Once I got past this point, the system would pause for
> several min and would not finish loading windows (said my boot disk
> wasn't a system disk). As if this all wasn't strange enough, if I put
> my xp install disk in, it would pass where it asked if I wanted to
> boot from cd, if I left it alone, it would boot normally. Now dsl
> connection is going flaky. the same time that it started having
> trouble booting, my connection speed reported by the built in network
> card dropped from 100 to 28.8. even if I connect to my small network
> in my house, it still says 28.8 instead of 100. My router and all
> network cards are all 100 base.
>
> I had the same problems with the first card, and returned it to the
> shop I bought it, installed the new card and it worked fine for about
> a month and a half, and now it has the same exact problems. I have all
> the latest bios, drivers, and updates, but can't see that it makes any
> difference.
>
> Did I just get 2 bad motherboards, or is there something I'm missing?
>
> Paul

Ok, this is strange, I was playing eve-online tody, and the graphics
corrupted, and the system rebooted, and when it started to come back
on, I got the blue screen of death (xp version), saying one of my
components had a problem. I removed my geforce mx400 ddr pci card, put
an old ati radeo 7200 in, and viola, the system booted perfectly. I
bought this card the same time I bought all the rest of the
components, and was surprised that it should go bad already, but I
tried it in another system and it wouldn't work there either. Time for
an exchange if I can find the receipt...

Ah ha,
congrats on finding the problem! :)
thanks for the update too!

BTW wouldn't an AGP card be better?

> Ok, this is strange, I was playing eve-online tody, and the graphics
> corrupted, and the system rebooted, and when it started to come back
> on, I got the blue screen of death (xp version), saying one of my
> components had a problem. I removed my geforce mx400 ddr pci card, put
> an old ati radeo 7200 in, and viola, the system booted perfectly. I
> bought this card the same time I bought all the rest of the
> components, and was surprised that it should go bad already, but I
> tried it in another system and it wouldn't work there either. Time for
> an exchange if I can find the receipt...

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 01:53:29 GMT, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
<NO_vwdoc1_SPAM_@hotmail.com_PLEASE> wrote:

>Ah ha,
>congrats on finding the problem! :)
>thanks for the update too!
>
>BTW wouldn't an AGP card be better?

it would have been, but I couldn't find one anywhere in town that I
could afford when I needed it, and that one was on sale at Walmart.

When I can afford to replace it, I will go with a decent agp card, any
suggestions (under $100)?

Well it depends on what you need it to do.
I think that gamers love to have the fastest cards that cost well over $100.

I am NOT a gamer though and 32mb of ram on the cards are fine for me.
I like the old Diamond Viper V770 cards myself. I can find them used at
very good prices. :)
Here is one on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5101968873&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

tigerdirect.com and newegg.com seem to sell some AGP cards with rebates.

I try to spend little, but still get value! My main/favorite computer is an
Asus P2B with a PII-400 CPU;-)
--
later,
dave

Paul Bettes wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 01:53:29 GMT, "dave AKA vwdoc1"
> <NO_vwdoc1_SPAM_@hotmail.com_PLEASE> wrote:
>

>>Ah ha,
>>congrats on finding the problem! :)
>>thanks for the update too!
>>
>>BTW wouldn't an AGP card be better?
>>

> it would have been, but I couldn't find one anywhere in town that I
> could afford when I needed it, and that one was on sale at Walmart.
>
> When I can afford to replace it, I will go with a decent agp card, any
> suggestions (under $100)?
I bought both my Ti4200's off eBay for $60-$70. Great card, easy
install. Over 80 FPS in Combat Flight Simulator 2 with all eye candy on.
For example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3666&item=3486143078&rd=1

--
FRH