mas

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004

Life was so simple when the choice was colour or mono monitor, windows 3.1
or DOS and Intel Processor or nothing..

I am looking to build a 2nd PC for home and the Shuttle is a new beast to
me, I have always built and used std motherboard/case/CPU configurations to
date.

So which shuttle should I look at as a starting point?

I want something like
XP2700 or better CPU
512 DDR Ram
80Gb SATA hard disk
128mb Graphics card
CDRW/DVD combo
and a good 17in TFT monitor

I already have ADSL access to the net via my existing home PC but I am
looking to link the shuttle to the same line via an ADSL modem/router which
I assume will link to the shuttle via USB.

M.

Skier

Unless you are in love with the small format case and little ability to
upgrade or add more drives etc, I would stay with Shuttle's full size ATX
mobos. You see lots of complaints with the little beastie boxes. And, they
are pricey. You can get a "regular" ATX board and nice case for 1/2 the
cost of the little things. I had a SV24, the first shuttle little box. It
was loud as a lawnmower, well almost, and allowed for no upgrades or
additional drives. PS severely underpowered and burned out once. Unless
you have size constraints or want to move it around, get a ATX board and a
nice case such as an ANTEC. Then you can add two optical drives several
hard drives etc. I have a AB48 on my son's and I have a AV49 on mine, and
they work great. They are both not AMD mobos, but Shuttle makes several
that are AMD compatible.

Hope this helps.
Tom

In article <bBlzc.47$6C3.21@newsfe5-win>, "MAS" <panman_uk@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Life was so simple when the choice was colour or mono monitor, windows 3.1
> or DOS and Intel Processor or nothing..
>
> I am looking to build a 2nd PC for home and the Shuttle is a new beast to
> me, I have always built and used std motherboard/case/CPU configurations to
> date.
>
> So which shuttle should I look at as a starting point?
>
> I want something like
> XP2700 or better CPU
> 512 DDR Ram
> 80Gb SATA hard disk
> 128mb Graphics card
> CDRW/DVD combo
> and a good 17in TFT monitor
>
> I already have ADSL access to the net via my existing home PC but I am
> looking to link the shuttle to the same line via an ADSL modem/router which
> I assume will link to the shuttle via USB.
>
> M.

I have built two SB62G2, the Intel version. Both have been working quite
well and are stacked together in the space of standard box.

I bought the barebones kits three months apart. In the first box, the
fan noise is tolerable. The second was impossible to sit next to for
more than 30 minutes. What a difference a few months make.

The PSU fans that came in the kits I bought are rather loud. No louder
that the old Dell they replaced but still loud. If you go with an XPC, I
would suggest getting one of the newer models with an external PSU. No
fans at all in that case.

Also, plan on upgrading the main fan right off. You will be glad you
did. I replaced the main fan with a Vantec and installed it with a
vibration kit. Big reduction is sound from the machine. Total cost for
all parts was about US$12.

I chose the SB62G2 in part because it comes with two ethernet ports. I
use one machine as an internet gateway device handling NAT as well as
hosting the web server and internal DNS. It is up 24/7 and is working
well so far.

Trev

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2001

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 22:14:38 -0500, "Skier" <geoman39@charter.net>
wrote:

>Unless you are in love with the small format case and little ability to
>upgrade or add more drives etc, I would stay with Shuttle's full size ATX
>mobos. You see lots of complaints with the little beastie boxes. And, they
>are pricey. You can get a "regular" ATX board and nice case for 1/2 the
>cost of the little things. I had a SV24, the first shuttle little box. It
>was loud as a lawnmower, well almost, and allowed for no upgrades or
>additional drives. PS severely underpowered and burned out once. Unless
>you have size constraints or want to move it around, get a ATX board and a
>nice case such as an ANTEC. Then you can add two optical drives several
>hard drives etc. I have a AB48 on my son's and I have a AV49 on mine, and
>they work great. They are both not AMD mobos, but Shuttle makes several
>that are AMD compatible.
>
>Hope this helps.
>Tom

I totally disagree with this narrow-minded approach. The proposed spec
is well within the scope of a shuttle. I have had my Shuttle for
nearly 12 months with no problems. 2 hard disks, DVD writer, good
graphics card etc. And as far as upgradeabilty...what about USB?
Caddies are available for next to nothing these days so extra hard
drives and CD drives can be kept unplugged and put in away when not
being used.

Nah!...I like 'em!
--

Trev (Milnrow, UK)