Confused

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

I'm having problems with my Hard Drive which plugs into my USB2 port not
been recognized. I have been all through the trouble shooter but that
doesn't fix the problem. I know that the USP2 is working because I have
tried my scanner, printer & flash drive in there & they all work. Sometimes
when I plug it in XP knows that I have plugged in a 'Mass Storage Device'
but still it's unable to get the connection made so that things work. I
have erased the yellow flags in Device Managed but they come back the next
time I plut the drive in.

I'm beginning to wonder if the master/slave switch or something like this
can be the cause. If I open up the case & make this change will this
increase the likelihood of BIOS or XP picking up this drive & getting to
work.

Thanks in advance

Did you format the drive in Disk Management(see Help and Support, Disk
Managment)? You mention "yellow flags" but you might want to read the
Error message provided for further clues as to the problem.

Confused Wrote:
> I'm having problems with my Hard Drive which plugs into my USB2 port
> not
> been recognized. I have been all through the trouble shooter but that
> doesn't fix the problem. I know that the USP2 is working because I
> have
> tried my scanner, printer & flash drive in there & they all work.
> Sometimes
> when I plug it in XP knows that I have plugged in a 'Mass Storage
> Device'
> but still it's unable to get the connection made so that things work.
> have erased the yellow flags in Device Managed but they come back the
> next
> time I plut the drive in.
>
> I'm beginning to wonder if the master/slave switch or something like
> this
> can be the cause. If I open up the case & make this change will this
> increase the likelihood of BIOS or XP picking up this drive & getting
> work.
>
> Thanks in advance

Could you let us know what brand & model this critter is?
Thanks,
Treeman

--
Treeman

Treeman Wrote:
> Could you let us know what brand & model this critter is?
> Thanks,
> Treeman

Just a thought . . . This little device has come in very handy to see
what your usb ports are actually doing.

'CyberGuys' (http://tinyurl.com/63umq)
It's only $7.95 but works like a charm.
Treeman

--
Treeman

Confused

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

The ctitter is a Western Digital WD1200 Enhanced IDE Hard drive 80GB 7200RPM
Hard Drive. It used to be my old 'c' drive & had worked without fault. I
also had a 80GB drive which I plugged into my USB2 port. I was having
problems with some programs & wished to do a complete reinstall of XP but
didn't wish to lose everything which was stored on this 'c' drive until I
had a new 'c' drive installed & operating. It was then the intention to
just take the what every data I still wished to retain & transfer it from my
external drive before reformatting this second drive.

I just uninstalled both drives & swapped them over & noted that both of
these drives were masters. I did a clean reinstall onto what would now be
my new 'c' drive. I have just a few programs installed on it at the moment,
dial up connection,antivirus,firewall & SP2. I was surprised to see that
both drives were masters. So last night I changed the problem drive to
slave & tried again but even though XP recognized a new USB mass storage
device it had problems. The problem reported was either code 10 or code 22
depending on whether or not I told it to make the device active.

Then I remember that I also had access to my wifes laptop which also has
USB2. Again the same results whether if was set to master or slave. I'm
wondering if it should not to set to neither master or slave. Could this be
the cause of probem? Could it be that my BIOS is fauly? I am now starting
to wonder if I were to try to swap the drives back to the way they were
would I at least get back to square on before trying again.

I also have available Partition Magic 8 which has some boot sequence
settings I'm led to believe. Could this be used to help detect the real
problem?

Bob I Wrote:
> Did you format the drive in Disk Management(see Help and Support, Disk
> Managment)? You mention "yellow flags" but you might want to read the
> Error message provided for further clues as to the problem.
>
> Confused wrote:
> -
> I'm having problems with my Hard Drive which plugs into my USB2 port
> not
> been recognized. I have been all through the trouble shooter but
> that
> doesn't fix the problem. I know that the USP2 is working because I
> have
> tried my scanner, printer & flash drive in there & they all work.
> Sometimes
> when I plug it in XP knows that I have plugged in a 'Mass Storage
> Device'
> but still it's unable to get the connection made so that things work.
> have erased the yellow flags in Device Managed but they come back the
> next
> time I plut the drive in.
>
> I'm beginning to wonder if the master/slave switch or something like
> this
> can be the cause. If I open up the case & make this change will this
> increase the likelihood of BIOS or XP picking up this drive & getting
> work.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> -

If you have an actual jumper on the drive, try it naked . . . no, not
you, the drive! In drive management my external Maxtor kept hanging the
computer, the error message was this: "0 data, 0 bytes, this drive is
functioning normally" Not much help there. Turns out SP2 dorked up the
MBR on the drive. Can't remember how to fix the Master Boot Record.
Maybe Partition Magic can?
Treeman

--
Treeman

I did try running the drive with no jumpers on but this didn't help. I have
now switched the drives back to the way they or at least to the way I
thought they were. The old 'c' drive is now functioning once again but the
second drive still isn't working. Now that it's back in the caddy it's
still not being seen my either my PC or laptop. Something has changed,
presumably either a jumper or BIOS or, or or etc. I guess that I will just
have to go back trying out as many combination as I can think of.