Drive letter assignment problems with ST61G4

Tags:
  • Shuttle
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
June 17, 2004 2:03:05 PM

Hi

I recently set this system up running Win XP Pro. However, because of the
built in CF card slots etc, the syatem set the primary partition to F,
rather than C. Is there any way of changing this, without running fdisk and
doing a full re-install.

Thanks in advance.

Gene

More about : drive letter assignment problems st61g4

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 17, 2004 5:26:52 PM

In article <carn2r$to$1$830fa7b3@news.demon.co.uk>,
"Gene Hammond" <gene.hammond@pennyanderson.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I recently set this system up running Win XP Pro. However, because of the
> built in CF card slots etc, the syatem set the primary partition to F,
> rather than C. Is there any way of changing this, without running fdisk and
> doing a full re-install.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Gene

There is a Disk Management control panel for formatting drives and
creating partitions. I think you can change the drive letter and
description there.

hth
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 18, 2004 9:19:36 PM

>the syatem set the primary partition to F, rather than C
> Is there any way of changing this, without running fdisk and
>doing a full re-install.
>
>Thanks in advance.

Before you reformat, try changing all of the drive letters. On mine, I
had four seperate assignments, one for each of the media card reader
slots. So start by changing the letter assignments for these drives to
something like G, H, I & J. Then you can free up "C" for your primary
drive.
DD
"It's easy when you know how..."
Johnny Shines
Related resources
June 19, 2004 4:12:43 AM

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:03:05 +0100, "Gene Hammond"
<gene.hammond@pennyanderson.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I recently set this system up running Win XP Pro. However, because of the
>built in CF card slots etc, the syatem set the primary partition to F,
>rather than C. Is there any way of changing this, without running fdisk and
>doing a full re-install.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Gene

I've done the same thing myself before. I think the best way is to
reformat & start again. It only takes an hour (and you can sleep for
most of that!)
--

Trev (Milnrow, UK)
Anonymous

> I recently set this system up running Win XP Pro. However, because of
the
> built in CF card slots etc, the syatem set the primary partition to F,
> rather than C. Is there any way of changing this, without running
fdisk and
> doing a full re-install.

I'd guess it would work to boot Windows XP into rescue mode (command
prompt) using the installation disc. You can then run the diskpart.exe
software to change letters (mount-point) of the drives. There is a built
in help funtion in diskpart if you type help.

Best regards, Magnus
!