Drive letter assignment problems with ST61G4

Hi

I recently set this system up running Win XP Pro. However, because of the
built in CF card slots etc, the syatem set the primary partition to F,
rather than C. Is there any way of changing this, without running fdisk and
doing a full re-install.

Thanks in advance.

Gene
4 answers Last reply
More about drive letter assignment problems st61g4
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    In article <carn2r$to$1$830fa7b3@news.demon.co.uk>,
    "Gene Hammond" <gene.hammond@pennyanderson.com> wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I recently set this system up running Win XP Pro. However, because of the
    > built in CF card slots etc, the syatem set the primary partition to F,
    > rather than C. Is there any way of changing this, without running fdisk and
    > doing a full re-install.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Gene

    There is a Disk Management control panel for formatting drives and
    creating partitions. I think you can change the drive letter and
    description there.

    hth
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    >the syatem set the primary partition to F, rather than C
    > Is there any way of changing this, without running fdisk and
    >doing a full re-install.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

    Before you reformat, try changing all of the drive letters. On mine, I
    had four seperate assignments, one for each of the media card reader
    slots. So start by changing the letter assignments for these drives to
    something like G, H, I & J. Then you can free up "C" for your primary
    drive.
    DD
    "It's easy when you know how..."
    Johnny Shines
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:03:05 +0100, "Gene Hammond"
    <gene.hammond@pennyanderson.com> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I recently set this system up running Win XP Pro. However, because of the
    >built in CF card slots etc, the syatem set the primary partition to F,
    >rather than C. Is there any way of changing this, without running fdisk and
    >doing a full re-install.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Gene

    I've done the same thing myself before. I think the best way is to
    reformat & start again. It only takes an hour (and you can sleep for
    most of that!)
    --

    Trev (Milnrow, UK)
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    > I recently set this system up running Win XP Pro. However, because of
    the
    > built in CF card slots etc, the syatem set the primary partition to F,
    > rather than C. Is there any way of changing this, without running
    fdisk and
    > doing a full re-install.

    I'd guess it would work to boot Windows XP into rescue mode (command
    prompt) using the installation disc. You can then run the diskpart.exe
    software to change letters (mount-point) of the drives. There is a built
    in help funtion in diskpart if you type help.

    Best regards, Magnus

Shuttle Motherboards