SB62G2 fan noise

SB62G2
P4 2.x Ghz
1GB RAM
Seagate SATA 80GB for system
Seagate SATA 160GB for everything else
Replaced the Heat Pipe fan with Vantec

Right after replacing the main fan, above, the machine was much more
quiet. After a few minutes of operation the noise returned.

Today I worked up the nerve to stop the PSU fan with a small stick.
Noise gone. Woo hoo!

Are there replacement fans for the PSU that are worthwhile?
While I am not exactly all thumbs is it wise to futz around with the PSU
fan?

I have read of a new PSU that is either less noisy or external (or
both). Does this work as a retrofit in a SB62G2?

All replies greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I assume you have the original 220 W power supply unit. You can try to use
the PC40 250W SilentX PSU. It's supposed to be quieter, and cooler. Probably
not as quiet as you can get via invasive PSU fan replacements, though.

-Paul.

bad hair wrote:
> SB62G2
> Replaced the Heat Pipe fan with Vantec

I replaced the heat-pipe fan with Noiseblocker UltraSilentFan S2. It has
less than 19 dB, which is quite good, I suppose. Replaced the PSU fan
with Titan TFD-4010M12B. It's not too powerfull, but the heat remains at
42 °C (according to the hardware sensors). (BTW, it's an SN41G2, but I
think, that doesn't make a difference.)

Bye!