help! Overheating XPC and other oddities

I've got a recently purchased XPC SK41G here. From the start it has
exhibited strange fan control behavior. If I leave it on "Smart Fan" it
will waver the speed an excessive amount, even when the changes in CPU
temperature should not be affecting it. And that brings me to my next
problem, which is heat.

In a 75F room, the case temperature is around 46C and the CPU
temperature is around 55C. Very high for just sitting in the BIOS
health monitor screen. I have an Athlon XP 2400+, 120GB hard drive, DVD
ROM and ATI AIW 9600 in there. By contrast I also have an XPC (of
another model) with an Athlon XP 3000+ that runs about 6C cooler in the
same room.

If I open the case, the system does not cool off very much, so even
though it has poor ventilation, that doesn't seem to be the problem. I
have re-applied the thermal compound and it didn't make much of a
difference.

The 200W power supply is almost too hot to touch. That I can accept.
What's very unusual to me is that when I have the system powered off, if
I put my ear close to the back of the power supply I can hear an
intermittent and consistent buzzing or beeping noise going at the rate
about twice a second. Is it supposed to be like that? Does anyone else
have the 200W PSU that could check? I have it unplugged now because I
am worried of a fire or such.

At the very least, I can say that while I did use it, it was stable.

Any comments would be appreciated !
Thanks

jld
8 answers Last reply
More about help overheating oddities
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    "jon l. dawson" <jldawson91@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've got a recently purchased XPC SK41G here. From the start it has
    > exhibited strange fan control behavior. If I leave it on "Smart Fan" it
    > will waver the speed an excessive amount, even when the changes in CPU
    > temperature should not be affecting it. And that brings me to my next
    > problem, which is heat.
    >
    > In a 75F room, the case temperature is around 46C and the CPU
    > temperature is around 55C. Very high for just sitting in the BIOS
    > health monitor screen. I have an Athlon XP 2400+, 120GB hard drive, DVD
    > ROM and ATI AIW 9600 in there. By contrast I also have an XPC (of
    > another model) with an Athlon XP 3000+ that runs about 6C cooler in the
    > same room.
    >
    > If I open the case, the system does not cool off very much, so even
    > though it has poor ventilation, that doesn't seem to be the problem. I
    > have re-applied the thermal compound and it didn't make much of a
    > difference.
    >
    > The 200W power supply is almost too hot to touch. That I can accept.
    > What's very unusual to me is that when I have the system powered off, if
    > I put my ear close to the back of the power supply I can hear an
    > intermittent and consistent buzzing or beeping noise going at the rate
    > about twice a second. Is it supposed to be like that? Does anyone else
    > have the 200W PSU that could check? I have it unplugged now because I
    > am worried of a fire or such.
    >
    > At the very least, I can say that while I did use it, it was stable.
    >
    > Any comments would be appreciated !
    > Thanks
    >
    > jld

    Jon,
    I have checked my SK41G and yes I can hear a noise from the PSU when
    I listen next to the fan outlet. It is a quite buzz with a clicking sound,
    the clicks seem to be faster, about 5 or 6 per second. I suppose this is
    normal because even when switched off, the psu has to produce a small amount
    of power to the MB to detect the power button being pressed.
    My machine is a much lower spec, but the smart fan does sometimes speed-up
    and down rapidly and I attributed it to times when the cpu was working at
    100% utilisation.
    Although you would expect the XP3000 should run hotter than the 2400, they
    use different technologies. The Barton chips have a larger surface area
    which helps heat dissipation,
    see http://www.silentpcreview.com/article31-page1.html
    However, your cpu is running hot for just idling, have you used a good
    quality thermal compound such as arctic silver and follow the manufactures
    instructions to ensure it is only applied thinly -
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm
    If your PSU is hot to touch, then it could have a faulty fan, check that the
    fan is always running ok.

    Dave
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    logized wrote:

    > I have checked my SK41G and yes I can hear a noise from the PSU when
    > I listen next to the fan outlet. It is a quite buzz with a clicking sound,
    > the clicks seem to be faster, about 5 or 6 per second. I suppose this is
    > normal because even when switched off, the psu has to produce a small amount
    > of power to the MB to detect the power button being pressed.
    > My machine is a much lower spec, but the smart fan does sometimes speed-up
    > and down rapidly and I attributed it to times when the cpu was working at
    > 100% utilisation.
    > Although you would expect the XP3000 should run hotter than the 2400, they
    > use different technologies. The Barton chips have a larger surface area
    > which helps heat dissipation,
    > see http://www.silentpcreview.com/article31-page1.html
    > However, your cpu is running hot for just idling, have you used a good
    > quality thermal compound such as arctic silver and follow the manufactures
    > instructions to ensure it is only applied thinly -
    > http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm
    > If your PSU is hot to touch, then it could have a faulty fan, check that the
    > fan is always running ok.

    Hey !

    Thanks for the info. I think maybe the combination of processor, video
    card and PSU are driving up the case temperature. I added a small fan
    (not sure the dimension, like half the size of a regular case fan) and
    sort of lodged it in there between the video card and front of the case.
    It only seems to be helping in reducing the hard drive temperature,
    which is better than nothing. The rest is still really hot, even though
    I feel cool air circulating around the vents on the sides.

    I'm using the thermal compound that came with it. It's white, came in a
    packet. I read that there's only maybe a 3C max. difference in types of
    thermal compounds? Is that true? Even so maybe it's worth a try.

    The PSU fan seems to be running ok. It's blowing some really hot air
    out of it. If I put my hand on the PSU itself (either on back near the
    fan or on the side with the caseo ff), it's kind of like grabbing the
    steering wheel of your car when it's been baking out in the sun for
    hours. Not the kind of thing you want to keep holding on to, but not
    hot enough to cause burns.

    I've set the fan speed to medium now. It's been sitting idle in Windows
    for the past hour or so. The room temperature is 78.7 F or 25.9 C.
    Temperature is 47/54/47. If I set it in the BIOS to "Smart Fan" and
    "52C", it shoots right up to 56C and hovers in that area, constantly
    switching between low and medium fan speed. It never really a normal
    transition though, it kind of revs up and down and doesn't like to
    settle on anything. Is this the same as yours?

    The only weird part is that I've heard the fan do the revving thing- I
    don't know how else to describe it- even when set to a constant "medium"
    speed. And it hadn't reached 60C, so it shouldn't have changed.

    It's relieving to know that the noise when powered off is probably
    normal. Don't have to live in fear of it exploding or something :)

    -jld
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    --snip

    > Hey !
    >
    > Thanks for the info. I think maybe the combination of processor,
    > video
    > card and PSU are driving up the case temperature. I added a small fan
    > (not sure the dimension, like half the size of a regular case fan) and
    > sort of lodged it in there between the video card and front of the
    > case. It only seems to be helping in reducing the hard drive
    > temperature,
    > which is better than nothing. The rest is still really hot, even
    > though
    > I feel cool air circulating around the vents on the sides.
    >
    > I'm using the thermal compound that came with it. It's white, came
    > in a packet. I read that there's only maybe a 3C max. difference in
    > types of thermal compounds? Is that true? Even so maybe it's worth
    > a try.
    >
    > The PSU fan seems to be running ok. It's blowing some really hot air
    > out of it. If I put my hand on the PSU itself (either on back near
    > the
    > fan or on the side with the caseo ff), it's kind of like grabbing the
    > steering wheel of your car when it's been baking out in the sun for
    > hours. Not the kind of thing you want to keep holding on to, but not
    > hot enough to cause burns.
    >
    > I've set the fan speed to medium now. It's been sitting idle in
    > Windows
    > for the past hour or so. The room temperature is 78.7 F or 25.9 C.
    > Temperature is 47/54/47. If I set it in the BIOS to "Smart Fan" and
    > "52C", it shoots right up to 56C and hovers in that area, constantly
    > switching between low and medium fan speed. It never really a normal
    > transition though, it kind of revs up and down and doesn't like to
    > settle on anything. Is this the same as yours?
    >
    > The only weird part is that I've heard the fan do the revving thing- I
    > don't know how else to describe it- even when set to a constant
    > "medium" speed. And it hadn't reached 60C, so it shouldn't have
    > changed.
    >
    > It's relieving to know that the noise when powered off is probably
    > normal. Don't have to live in fear of it exploding or something :)

    I just took apart my heat sink etc and found that virtually none of the
    thermal paste that came with the Shuttle was actually between chip and
    plate. Cleaned it all up and added a ShinEtsu Thermal Pad. The fan hasn't
    even sped up once since I did this, previously it ran at fast speed nearly
    all the time. Well worth checking that the Suttle's cooling devices are
    actually working. Shuttle also claim air flow is better with case on.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    > --snip
    Another thing to check - the CPU shim is supplied with a thin blue plastic
    protective film on the top side to prevent the copper surface being
    scratched.
    If you have not removed this, then it will raise the CPU temperature.

    Dave
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    logized wrote:
    >>--snip
    >
    > Another thing to check - the CPU shim is supplied with a thin blue plastic
    > protective film on the top side to prevent the copper surface being
    > scratched.
    > If you have not removed this, then it will raise the CPU temperature.

    Nah, that wasn't on there. The case and processor was actually assembled
    and tested by Multiwave (mwave.com) where I bought it. It ran hot when
    I got it and continues to run hot now that I've re-applied the thermal
    compound a bunch of times.

    I ordered Arctic Silver 5 and should be getting it this week. I'm
    hoping for a miracle ;)

    Thanks
    -jld
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    quick update- Shuttle USA and also the reseller of my XPC have both
    suggested I replace the PSU based on the noise it's making when powered
    down. A tech support rep from Shuttle said it should be silent. Maybe
    something to consider for yours...
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    > quick update- Shuttle USA and also the reseller of my XPC have both
    > suggested I replace the PSU based on the noise it's making when powered
    > down. A tech support rep from Shuttle said it should be silent. Maybe
    > something to consider for yours...

    Jon,
    Thanks for the info, I decided to do a search on google and found
    many reports of shuttle PSU clicking - see
    http://www.sfftech.com/showfaqs.cfm?fid=18&fcid=32#369
    Many say it is not a problem and I am happy to accept the noise so long as
    it does not get worse - as you have got Shuttle to aggree that yours is
    faulty, then hopefully you can get them to replace it with the latest 250W
    type?

    Dave
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    logized wrote:
    Thanks for the info, I decided to do a search on google and found
    > many reports of shuttle PSU clicking - see
    > http://www.sfftech.com/showfaqs.cfm?fid=18&fcid=32#369
    > Many say it is not a problem and I am happy to accept the noise so long as
    > it does not get worse - as you have got Shuttle to aggree that yours is
    > faulty, then hopefully you can get them to replace it with the latest 250W
    > type?

    My main concern isn't as much the noise as the heat, but now that I
    think of it, it's probably just being raised up by other factors in the
    case. Shuttle didn't say anything about upgrading the PSU, just that
    they'd replace it, and it'll cost me $10 S&H to do it, so now I'm not so
    sure...

    -jld

Temperature Motherboards