Second hard drive read-only

Hello all.

About six months ago, I purchased and installed a 250GB hard drive in my
Dell Dimension desktop. I am running XP Pro. After I did the
installation, I installed XP into the new drive and began using my old
60GB drive as a backup drive. Everything went smoothly, and I have been
using both drives since.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to to a clean install of XP. I
installed the OS onto the same drive, and everything appeared to work
fine. Unfortunately, My old (backup) drive is now acting as if it is
read-only. I can access all of the data on the drive, but cannot delete
any files, copy them to another location, or save anything to the drive.
I have checked all of the security permissions and I am listed as the
owner of the drive along with all of its contents.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Jonathan

This may not be the problem, but see for yourself.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

r.

"Jonathan Ciabotti" <jciabotti@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hello all.
>
> About six months ago, I purchased and installed a 250GB hard drive in my
> Dell Dimension desktop. I am running XP Pro. After I did the
> installation, I installed XP into the new drive and began using my old
> 60GB drive as a backup drive. Everything went smoothly, and I have been
> using both drives since.
>
> A couple of weeks ago I decided to to a clean install of XP. I installed
> the OS onto the same drive, and everything appeared to work fine.
> Unfortunately, My old (backup) drive is now acting as if it is read-only.
> I can access all of the data on the drive, but cannot delete any files,
> copy them to another location, or save anything to the drive. I have
> checked all of the security permissions and I am listed as the owner of
> the drive along with all of its contents.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
>
> Jonathan

Thanks, but I've tried all of that. I am indeed the owner of every file
on the drive.

Anyone else?

namniar wrote:
> This may not be the problem, but see for yourself.
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
>
> r.
>
> "Jonathan Ciabotti" <jciabotti@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>
>>Hello all.
>>
>>About six months ago, I purchased and installed a 250GB hard drive in my
>>Dell Dimension desktop. I am running XP Pro. After I did the
>>installation, I installed XP into the new drive and began using my old
>>60GB drive as a backup drive. Everything went smoothly, and I have been
>>using both drives since.
>>
>>A couple of weeks ago I decided to to a clean install of XP. I installed
>>the OS onto the same drive, and everything appeared to work fine.
>>Unfortunately, My old (backup) drive is now acting as if it is read-only.
>>I can access all of the data on the drive, but cannot delete any files,
>>copy them to another location, or save anything to the drive. I have
>>checked all of the security permissions and I am listed as the owner of
>>the drive along with all of its contents.
>>
>>Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>Jonathan

TRENDING THREADS