64-bit driver for H-P LaserJet 6P

Solution
It's not the cable. If it printed under XP using that cable, it's not like Windows 7 broke your cable.

1) uninstall the dang printer
2) unplug it
3) go get the driver i mentioned a dozen times
4) add new printer
5) tell it you have the disk
6) point to the folder of said driver
7) install driver
8) connect printer
9) ???
10) PROFIT!

Derick3

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

I removed the printer and driver I had and powered down. I plugged the printer into the PCI card I previously installed. I went to "add a printer" and followed the instructions religiously. I installed it with the LaserJet 6P driver. All went well until I tried to print a test page. Nothing happened. I'm really puzzled.

Derick3

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

Your instructions were clear and I thank you for your response. I didn't see a "Universal HP PCL%" driver and supposed that the LJ 6P was the right one to use-correct me if I'm wrong.

I am able to use USB or PCI. I chose PCI since I paid $34 for a card and that's where I plugged in. If USB is the way to go, let me know. I really hate to buy a new Win7 printer when I'm sure the LJ 6P SHOULD work.

Thanks for your help.

mavroxur

Distinguished
I'd use the universal PCL5 driver myself. As far as USB, I don't recall the 6P having a USB connection on it. If you're refering to either A) using a USB to parallel adapter, or B) using a PCI parallel card, i'd recommend staying with the PCI parallel card. The USB to parallel adapters can be problematic unless you buy a nice one. The PCI parallel cards are fool-proof, and if you already have one, just stay with it.

Derick3

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

When I bought my new computer (ASUS Essentio CM5571 w/Intel E5400 dual core) it came with Win7 Home Premium OS. It also did not have a parallel connection. First, I bouget a Centronics-to-USB. That didn't work. Then I bought a StarTech PCI1PECPDV 1 Port Parallel PCI Card - Dual Voltage (S262-8026). I used the standard 25 pin connector (Centronics-to-PCI). Again, no go.

I guess those are the only options I have and nothing seems to work. I would like somebody to comment on Win7 Home Professional and see if I need to upgrade to that. That is the last option I can think of. Comments?

mavroxur

Distinguished
I don't understand why the PCI parallel card wouldn't work. Just make sure you installed the proper drivers for the parallel card. I'm not surprised the USB to Parallel adapter didn't work, since they're very hit-and-miss anyhow. As long as the parallel card has vista/7 drivers (either 32 or 64 bit, whichever you're using) the version of vista or 7 shouldn't make a bit of difference.

Derick3

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
At this point, I don't know what the proper drivers are!!! I have gone to the H-P site and downloaded what I thought were the proper drivers. I used the "proper drivers" from the default Win7 list and nothing works. I'll be damned if I'll buy a new printer just to hve the right driver. I'd rather have bamboo slivers jammed into my eyes. It's become a matter of principal with me. Why should I replace a perfectly good hardware device just to have a driver that works. That's like going to the doctor to "buy" a prescription for allergy pills.

Everybody tells me on several forums that it SHOULD work. Well, IT DOESN'T and I am really getting frustrated. I have a 12 year-old scanner that works just great. with Win7 so why shouldn't a 6 year-old H-P printer?

--Derick :fou:

mavroxur

Distinguished

That printer does work in Win 7. We use it here at work, so "Well, IT DOESN'T" isn't a true statement. The only thing I can recommend is maybe try uninstalling all existing HP drivers, add the printer, and when it asks for the make and model of printer, hit "windows updates" and get the PCL6 driver directly from microsoft and try that. But we use the universal PCL and it works great here. We don't just use it on that particular printer, we have it rolled into our image and use it on probably 75% of the different printers here and it works just great.

Derick3

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
I'm not challenging your statement, it's just that it doesn't work for me. Maybe the sequence in which I connect/disconnect the printer and the order in which I delete/reload the driver is my problem. Can you provide the chronological steps for a dummy?
Exactly how do I delete a driver? Do I just "remove device?" Will that take out the driver? Is the printer connected and powered up when I do this?
Remember, your dealing with a Win7 beginner (I never had this trouble with XP).

I really thank you for sticking with me this far and hope that with just a little more help that I'll get there. If I do, I'll give you my first-born child.

Duboat

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I was having the same issue and have concluded that the available drivers are fine but you need to have a high quality cable. When using a low quality usb conversion cable I was not able to print and when I installed the 6P with a higher quality cable all went well - good luck!

Derick3

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
How do I tell if it's a high-quality cable? I used the same one I did on my old XP computer and it worked with that. I plugged it into the newly-installed parallel PCI slot. I'm using Win7, 64 bit. No-go! :fou:

mavroxur

Distinguished
It's not the cable. If it printed under XP using that cable, it's not like Windows 7 broke your cable.

1) uninstall the dang printer
2) unplug it
3) go get the driver i mentioned a dozen times
4) add new printer
5) tell it you have the disk
6) point to the folder of said driver
7) install driver
8) connect printer
9) ???
10) PROFIT!

Solution

VEK

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Hi, I have a similar situation, but will be accessing the HP 6p over my (wired) LAN. The HP 6p is connected to a machine running 32 bit XP Pro. I want to print with the HP 6p from the Win 7 Pro 64bit machine (which will be dual booted with XP Pro 64bit as soon as the OS arrives in the mail), as well as couple of other XP pro machines on the network. I've downloaded the HP Universal print driver for PCL5. But am not sure whether to try to load it as an "additional driver" in the printer share application on the 32 bit XP Pro machine, or try to get the Win 7 Pro machine to "see" it and then load the driver to the Win 7 machine (or maybe there's some even better way to do it?).

amott

Honorable
May 31, 2012

Great news! Thanks

amott

Honorable
May 31, 2012

Have had a 6P connected to my laptops since 2007 at the minimum with USB cable. It may have been one of the first HP Laser Jets to have one other than the big industrial sized ......