Closed

USB Flash Disk write protected

On my old Win 2k system I can Access my files on my USB Flash Disk, however
in Windows XP Home system when ever I try to change a file I get a write
protection error. Any assistance would be appreciated

Thank you very much,
Stephen Hill
10 answers Last reply
More about flash disk write protected

    Is this unit formatted NTFS perchance?

    Stephen Hill wrote:

    > On my old Win 2k system I can Access my files on my USB Flash Disk, however
    > in Windows XP Home system when ever I try to change a file I get a write
    > protection error. Any assistance would be appreciated
    >
    > Thank you very much,
    > Stephen Hill

    Not NTFS, however late last night I just got it to work. My flash disk has a
    switch for Floppy mode or Hard Drive mode, as well as, write protect mode. If
    I was 20 years younger I would have seen that itty bitty button on the other
    side.

    Thanks for the response,
    Stephen Hill

    "Bob I" wrote:

    > Is this unit formatted NTFS perchance?
    >
    > Stephen Hill wrote:
    >
    > > On my old Win 2k system I can Access my files on my USB Flash Disk, however
    > > in Windows XP Home system when ever I try to change a file I get a write
    > > protection error. Any assistance would be appreciated
    > >
    > > Thank you very much,
    > > Stephen Hill

    I never seen a USB flash drive where you can format it as NTFS. Removable
    drives seem to not be allowed to be formatted as NTFS.

    Stephen, what make of USB drive? Some models offer a write protect mode
    (either software or a hardware switch.)

    > Is this unit formatted NTFS perchance?
    >
    > Stephen Hill wrote:
    >
    >> On my old Win 2k system I can Access my files on my USB Flash Disk,
    >> however in Windows XP Home system when ever I try to change a file I get
    >> a write protection error. Any assistance would be appreciated
    >>
    >> Thank you very much,
    >> Stephen Hill

    Actually I used this from HP:

    http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqdt/us/download/20306.html

    I have an HP at work but I also worked on my custom made pc at home and my
    Flash Disk is a 32MB ASUS from my Black Pearl Motherboard.

    "Yves Leclerc" wrote:

    > I never seen a USB flash drive where you can format it as NTFS. Removable
    > drives seem to not be allowed to be formatted as NTFS.
    >
    > Stephen, what make of USB drive? Some models offer a write protect mode
    > (either software or a hardware switch.)
    >

    > "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Is this unit formatted NTFS perchance?
    > >
    > > Stephen Hill wrote:
    > >
    > >> On my old Win 2k system I can Access my files on my USB Flash Disk,
    > >> however in Windows XP Home system when ever I try to change a file I get
    > >> a write protection error. Any assistance would be appreciated
    > >>
    > >> Thank you very much,
    > >> Stephen Hill

    Thank you for posting back the resolution.

    Stephen Hill wrote:

    > Not NTFS, however late last night I just got it to work. My flash disk has a
    > switch for Floppy mode or Hard Drive mode, as well as, write protect mode. If
    > I was 20 years younger I would have seen that itty bitty button on the other
    > side.
    >
    > Thanks for the response,
    > Stephen Hill
    >
    > "Bob I" wrote:
    >

    >>Is this unit formatted NTFS perchance?
    >>
    >>Stephen Hill wrote:
    >>

    >>>On my old Win 2k system I can Access my files on my USB Flash Disk, however
    >>>in Windows XP Home system when ever I try to change a file I get a write
    >>>protection error. Any assistance would be appreciated
    >>>
    >>>Thank you very much,
    >>>Stephen Hill

    Simple really, you just set it to look like a HD

    here's a quick How to
    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1676&page=8

    Yves Leclerc wrote:

    > I never seen a USB flash drive where you can format it as NTFS. Removable
    > drives seem to not be allowed to be formatted as NTFS.
    >
    > Stephen, what make of USB drive? Some models offer a write protect mode
    > (either software or a hardware switch.)
    >

    > "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Is this unit formatted NTFS perchance?
    >>
    >>Stephen Hill wrote:
    >>

    >>>On my old Win 2k system I can Access my files on my USB Flash Disk,
    >>>however in Windows XP Home system when ever I try to change a file I get
    >>>a write protection error. Any assistance would be appreciated
    >>>
    >>>Thank you very much,
    >>>Stephen Hill

  7. The same problem i m facine that my USB Drive is showing it is write protected how to get foem it. Please Help Somebody

    Thanks & Regards

    Balram Nayak

    Quote:

  8. balramnayak said:
    The same problem i m facine that my USB Drive is showing it is write protected how to get foem it. Please Help Somebody

    Thanks & Regards

    Balram Nayak

    Hello friends
    Its Possible to format any removable drive in NTFS, i just did it in the morning today,
    right click on my computer on the desktop, click on manager double click on disk drives, then open Flash disk/USB Device, select Policies, then select Optimize for performance
    then OK

    Good luck
    :love: :love:

    regards

    Magomu Yusuf(IUIU-Mbale)
    magyusuf[at]gmail.comNTFS :love:
  9. hello, its doesnt work for me. if u have more idea, plz help me.
  10. This topic has been closed by Buwish

Hardware USB Flash Microsoft Windows XP