Bios chip help

I have a SK41G, and sadly made a complete mess of chip when flashing (first
time ever had problem, other manufacturers boards no problem) , have found a
company that says it can supply replacement chip, my questions are 1, is
removing chip fairly easy and 2, if i do get it going again how do you flash
shuttle boards.
Other thing that is a first was how unhelpful both shuttle and vendor have
been, in the past have been lucky with getting help to solve problems is it
general with shuttle or have I just been unlucky.

regards Mike

"Mike Geary" <mikegeary@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have a SK41G, and sadly made a complete mess of chip when flashing
(first
> time ever had problem, other manufacturers boards no problem) , have found
> company that says it can supply replacement chip, my questions are 1, is
> removing chip fairly easy and 2, if i do get it going again how do you
flash
> shuttle boards.
> Other thing that is a first was how unhelpful both shuttle and vendor have
> been, in the past have been lucky with getting help to solve problems is
it
> general with shuttle or have I just been unlucky.
>
> regards Mike

Mike,
The bios is the square shaped "PLCC type" chip in a small socket
near the CPU under the fan. (May need to remove CPU heatsink and the fan to
get good access)
You are advised to use a special extractor tool.
It is possible BUT NOT RECOMMENDED to use two very small screwdrivers or
paperclips instead, inserted into the recesses at two corners. There is a
risk that you could crack the socket or damage the motherboard if you use
this method!
See this guide http://www.thehistoryofcomputers.com/items/3460014432.html
and here http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=194 (just for the chip removal
pictures - I don't advise hot-swapping the chips)

I found the bios flashing to be no different to other machines - but I
always use the DOS method, I don't trust it in Windows.
Did you follow the instructions from Shuttle -

To flash a BIOS under DOS, download the BIOS file from the Download pages or
ftp://ftp.shuttle.com/ in zip format (the zip file will contain for example;
fb51s034.bin and awdflash.exe.). Extract the file onto a bootable floppy
disk or onto the hard drive. Restart the system with a bootable floppy disk
or bootable CD into PURE DOS mode. At the DOS prompt, type awdflash
fb51s034.bin. When the update is complete, restart and enter CMOS Setup
Utility (hold down delete at start up). Select "Load Optimized Defaults?
then "Save & Exit Setup?

Dave

Thanks for advice will give it ago, have flashed about 6 boards both using
dos and windows the last time on a gigabyte board never a problem this is
first time ever gone wrong. Had problems finding file to start with as a lot
of the pages were not live on shuttle site, these things happen though, but
what has wound me up is lack of proper support both from shuttle and vendor,
will think twice before I brought anything else from them,.shame as love the
concept.
"logized" <no-one@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> "Mike Geary" <mikegeary@nospamblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I have a SK41G, and sadly made a complete mess of chip when flashing
> (first
> > time ever had problem, other manufacturers boards no problem) , have
found
> > company that says it can supply replacement chip, my questions are 1, is
> > removing chip fairly easy and 2, if i do get it going again how do you
> flash
> > shuttle boards.
> > Other thing that is a first was how unhelpful both shuttle and vendor
have
> > been, in the past have been lucky with getting help to solve problems is
> it
> > general with shuttle or have I just been unlucky.
> >
> > regards Mike
> >

> Mike,
> The bios is the square shaped "PLCC type" chip in a small
socket
> near the CPU under the fan. (May need to remove CPU heatsink and the fan
> get good access)
> You are advised to use a special extractor tool.
> It is possible BUT NOT RECOMMENDED to use two very small screwdrivers or
> paperclips instead, inserted into the recesses at two corners. There is a
> risk that you could crack the socket or damage the motherboard if you use
> this method!
> See this guide http://www.thehistoryofcomputers.com/items/3460014432.html
> and here http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=194 (just for the chip removal
> pictures - I don't advise hot-swapping the chips)
>
> I found the bios flashing to be no different to other machines - but I
> always use the DOS method, I don't trust it in Windows.
> Did you follow the instructions from Shuttle -
>
> To flash a BIOS under DOS, download the BIOS file from the Download pages
or
> ftp://ftp.shuttle.com/ in zip format (the zip file will contain for
example;
> fb51s034.bin and awdflash.exe.). Extract the file onto a bootable floppy
> disk or onto the hard drive. Restart the system with a bootable floppy
disk
> or bootable CD into PURE DOS mode. At the DOS prompt, type awdflash
> fb51s034.bin. When the update is complete, restart and enter CMOS Setup
> Utility (hold down delete at start up). Select "Load Optimized Defaults?
> then "Save & Exit Setup?
>
> Dave

TRENDING THREADS