Apple CEO: I Want There to Be Apple Products Made in USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]bavman[/nom]Why? So they can charge an extra 50% on their crap for labor costs?[/citation]
Not really, it just means a lower profit margin at the same price .. and lower profits isn't Apple policy. I guess in the end, with all those billions of dollars the point is to take the money to your grave and don't give anything back to the community. Worked for Steve, will work for Tim aswell.

Plasmid

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Apple could easily make 50% of its stuff (manufacture) in the U.S and sell at current prices while maintaining a good profit.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Sure, iPhone 6 for $12,999 after $4,999 mail in rebate. Accessories add $299, manual add $99, extended warranty required add $499 per month

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]SpadeM[/nom]Not really, it just means a lower profit margin at the same price .. and lower profits isn't Apple policy. I guess in the end, with all those billions of dollars the point is to take the money to your grave and don't give anything back to the community. Worked for Steve, will work for Tim aswell.[/citation]
Tim is actually showing signs that he's not the money grubbing bastard Steve was. Donated $100M of Apple's money to charity earlier this year, and is actually investing Apple's money to help give Foxconn's worker's better working conditions, unlike Steve who just spouted the party line about "caring" and pretending to be auditing the factories regularly.

fudoka711

Distinguished
[citation][nom]SpadeM[/nom]Not really, it just means a lower profit margin at the same price .. and lower profits isn't Apple policy. I guess in the end, with all those billions of dollars the point is to take the money to your grave and don't give anything back to the community. Worked for Steve, will work for Tim aswell.[/citation]

For most companies, they would take the profit margin hit...but we're talking about Apple here, the company that already takes ~50% profit margins. They're gonna want to keep at least the same net profits. It will look like they're taking a hit in profits cuz their percent profit margin will be lower, but the actual dollar amount would be the same. This is what I think Apple would do if they do decide to build in the US (which is a good thing, we could use some more jobs).

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
We already have Apple products made in the USA.
They can easily be found in your local Super Market.

This reminds me to get an APPLE PIE MADE in the USA.... God forbid is made in China.
/Sarcasm

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
The glass for the Ipad is U.S. Made? Apple is really going above and beyond for it's country here.

ALTERNATE JOKE

no wonder the ipad glass shatters so easily.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
I always chuckled when I read the text that the iPhone for example was "designed" in the US (California)...is that the next best thing to made in the US??? loooool. Does this still have a nationalistic effect on the Apple-sheeple?!?

punahou1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
If Apple truly cares about every worker in its supply chain why would they allow 12 year olds to build iphones in the first place? Don't be fooled - like every company their executives are driven and bonused by maintaining profit margins.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation]Cook said it was because he didn't think Apple could do a better job.
[/citation]

meaning they couldn't exploit workers and get away with it. With Foxconn at least there is someone else to blame.

chaoski

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Crapple products are already way too overpriced. But if people are willing to pay MORE for "American made"....go nuts apple.

Just don't expect any business from me....EVER

G

"Last night, Tim Cook talked a little bit about why it's hard to reduce the number of overtime workers in China are doing."

That doesn't make any sense.

"When asked about the possibility of Apple one day producing a product that was both designed and assembled in the United States of America"

Assembled and manufactured are completely different things.

It's been noted that higher labor costs ultimately don't affect the price of a device much (see Steve Jobs' meeting with Obama over manufacturing jobs). This would be a great move if we could motivate people who ultimately don't want to work anymore or those who believe certain work is "below" them. Apple has the money to pay for and maintain manufacturing facilities - that is certain.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Plain and simple, companies can't just move back to the stateside. The consumer is driven by the lowest-cost denominator. Keeping in mind, when something is so much as just a few cents less than the product next to it on the shelf, that appeals more to the consumer in most every situation. Companies packed up and left because everything costs considerably more to manufacture in the USA, so profit margins drop and/or product prices increase. If there are a few companies that charge "X" amount for a product that they all produce, and then two of them leave for China and setup shop. That places those companies in a position to now charge less than the sole survivor who can only go as low as breaking even. Then those other two companies make shareholders/investors happy at record profits, while the other company is left to explain to their shareholders why they missed the mark as a "sell, sell, sell" mentality develops as company value drops.

It's an ugly situation but all too real. I give huge credit to the companies to move back to the USA because face it, it's a VERY large gamble - but a commendable one. Packing up and leaving with the promise of higher profits was the easy part, coming back is the real challenge.

As for Apple, it's obvious their profit margins are quite healthy, but hey, it makes their investors and shareholders very happy, right? I'd like to point the finger solely at them, but they aren't the only ones outsourcing like this (insert almost any company name) and charging a healthy price for their products.

lopez_liam25

Honorable
May 30, 2012
i honestly believe that in stead of using china and there resources we should use our own because apple is just being greedy think about it they are paying barely any thing for these people to work but charging people a whole bunch for their products ....

lopez_liam25

Honorable
May 30, 2012
i honestly believe that in stead of using china and there resources we should use our own because apple is just being greedy think about it they are paying barely any thing for these people to work but charging people a whole bunch for their products ....

Status
Not open for further replies.