Best replacement motherboard for my SV24

My kids decided to water their SV24 to see if it would grow. You can
imagine the results. It boots, but hangs while attempting to detect
the harddrive. When I powered it up, I got a loud pop, so I believe
that the mobo is shot. I am going to fool with it a bit more, but have
started looking for a replacement motherboard. FV24/25 availability is
pretty limited. I am thinking that maybe one of the newer mobos will
fit in the case and maybe allow a bit more performance. I couldn't
tell from looking at Shuttles site, so if you have any 'been there,
done that' advice, I would appreciate it. I don't want to do much
hacking on the back to fit a mobo in. It doesn't have to be a Shuttle
mobo. Thanks.

Skier

Hi,

First, your options are limited. Replacement FV24 or FV25 (newer that
accept the Tualatin CPUs) are expensive and hard to find. They also had
troubles with the capacitors on many of them. I have seen many posts where
the boards have fried. The power supply is only 150 watts and may not hold
up with a newer board and faster processor. I haven't seen a larger power
supply for that case. You can find some of the "newer" XPCs for about the
same as you would find a FV24/25 motherboard. To salvage it, you could get
a much slower VIA mini board, but they are sssllllooooowwww. I recommend
you look for a newer XPC. I have seen a number for less than $200 that
accept either P4 or Athlon. You could sell your SV24 on ebay for salvage
(case floppy etc.).

Tom