noise and the shuttle sn41gv2

ME

hi there,

after dickering around thinking about Apple Cubes and Shuttle Zens I
finally picked the sn41gv2 to run as a small home file server and media
pc.

But I'm a bit disappointed with the noise it makes.

I realize some fan noise is inevitable, but is there anyway to reduce
it? Has anyone replaced the cpu or psu fans?

Any recommendations greatfully received....

m.e.

ME

In article <bbbounce-2284F2.00395006072004@newstrial.btopenworld.com>,
me <bbbounce@mac.com> wrote:

> hi there,
>
> after dickering around thinking about Apple Cubes and Shuttle Zens I
> finally picked the sn41gv2 to run as a small home file server and media
> pc.
>
> But I'm a bit disappointed with the noise it makes.
>
> I realize some fan noise is inevitable, but is there anyway to reduce
> it? Has anyone replaced the cpu or psu fans?
>
> Any recommendations greatfully received....
>
> m.e.

or... should I just go back to my old cooler master case and try and
find a silent psu and cpu fan?

performance isn't really an issue... it'd be nice to use the (silent)
machine as a dvd player, digital tv recorder as well as jukebox and
fileserver, but I'm not going to be playing games on it.

m.e.

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"me" <bbbounce@mac.com> wrote in message
> In article <bbbounce-2284F2.00395006072004@newstrial.btopenworld.com>,
> me <bbbounce@mac.com> wrote:
>
> > hi there,
> >
> > after dickering around thinking about Apple Cubes and Shuttle Zens I
> > finally picked the sn41gv2 to run as a small home file server and media
> > pc.
> >
> > But I'm a bit disappointed with the noise it makes.
> >
> > I realize some fan noise is inevitable, but is there anyway to reduce
> > it? Has anyone replaced the cpu or psu fans?
> >
> > Any recommendations greatfully received....
> >
> > m.e.
>
> or... should I just go back to my old cooler master case and try and
> find a silent psu and cpu fan?
>
> performance isn't really an issue... it'd be nice to use the (silent)
> machine as a dvd player, digital tv recorder as well as jukebox and
> fileserver, but I'm not going to be playing games on it.
>

> m.e.

I've just got a SN45Gv2 (my first shuttle) and I was also very disappointed
with the noise. I've just put a quieter case/ICE fan in (I forget the make,
but it wasn't expensive), and its improved it massively. I've set it to
medium speed in the BIOS and I can hardly hear it. The old one was noisy
even on low.

Now the only noise left (exc. the DVD drive in full flow) is the PSU fan,
which isn't much of a problem.

Neil