Best chip for an AK35GT-Raid (Thornton, Thoroughbred, Bart..

I purchased a used AK35GT-Raid board for $20 and need to get a chip
for it now.

I understand that the board supports 266FSB chips and want to know
what family's of chips this board might work with.

Looking on Newegg, I see lot's of different core's to choose from.
This is what Shuttle says the board supports
http://www.shuttle.com/hq/support/faq/supportlist2.asp?model=AK35GT/R

I also noticed that Newegg carried other core's as well, such
Thornton, Thoroughbred, Barton, etc...

Would any of the newer cores work in this board, such as the Mobile
Athlon XP Barton core chips? Newegg sells these processors for the 266
bus speed, but will the KT266a support these chips? Could someone
clarify this for me?

The board is a revision 1.2 by the way.

thanks

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 03:44:40 GMT, MHz Tweaker <Clint@Smith&Wesson.com>
wrote:

>I purchased a used AK35GT-Raid board for $20 and need to get a chip
>for it now.
>
>I understand that the board supports 266FSB chips and want to know
>what family's of chips this board might work with.
>
>Looking on Newegg, I see lot's of different core's to choose from.
>This is what Shuttle says the board supports
>http://www.shuttle.com/hq/support/faq/supportlist2.asp?model=AK35GT/R
>
>I also noticed that Newegg carried other core's as well, such
>Thornton, Thoroughbred, Barton, etc...
>
>Would any of the newer cores work in this board, such as the Mobile
>Athlon XP Barton core chips? Newegg sells these processors for the 266
>bus speed, but will the KT266a support these chips? Could someone
>clarify this for me?
>
>The board is a revision 1.2 by the way.
>
>thanks

Well I bit the bullet and bought a new XP2400 chip for it. I believe
it's a thoroughbred core chip running at 266FSB. After a BIOS flash,
it seems to be working great. Installing XP on an IBM 10k RPM boot
drive and so far I like what I see. This will be my first Athlon chip
and I will have to say I was a bit hesitant to go AMD after all these
years in the Intel chip camp but I am pleasantly surprised so far.