install and boot windows xp on external usb harddrive

Hey

I'm trying to install windows XP SP2 on an external WD 160GB
harddrive. But when Im partitioning the drive, I dont get the
alternative to format the drive, and the installtions program says
that the drive not is a compatible windows XP partition.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Or is it impossible?

Regards

/Axel
3 answers Last reply
More about install boot windows external harddrive

    > You cannot install Windows XP on an external drive.
    > Windows XP can only be installed on an internal drive.
    > External drives are designed for file backups and storage only.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    Axel...
    Hey.
    Carey is correct in that you cannot *directly* install Windows XP onto an
    external hard drive; however, using a disk imaging program, e.g., Symantec's
    Ghost, Acronis True Image, etc., you can clone the contents of your internal
    HD containing the XP OS to your EHD. Understand that the EHD will not be
    bootable (at least in my experience), but you could re:clone the contents
    back to your internal HD should the need arise.
    Anna

    Carey:

    Is it true that WindowsXP can't be installed to an USB 2.0 harddisk?
    I have tried to start the setup, the harddisk works, but durint the
    installation procedure Windows does not even recognize a partition on
    the USB HD and I get the message that Windows also can't create a
    partition without further software. So is there any controller like
    RAID or SCSI which I can add so that Windows can be installed on an
    external USB HD?
    If not, how can I make an UDB HD bootable with WindowsXP?

    "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message news:<uCmw8KjNFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
    > > | Hey
    > > |
    > > | I'm trying to install windows XP SP2 on an external WD 160GB
    > > | harddrive. But when Im partitioning the drive, I dont get the
    > > | alternative to format the drive, and the installtions program says
    > > | that the drive not is a compatible windows XP partition.
    > > |
    > > | Does anyone know how to fix this? Or is it impossible?
    > > |

    > > | Regards
    > > |
    > > | /Axel

    > > You cannot install Windows XP on an external drive.
    > > Windows XP can only be installed on an internal drive.
    > > External drives are designed for file backups and storage only.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Carey Frisch
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > > Microsoft Newsgroups
    >

    > Axel...
    > Hey.
    > Carey is correct in that you cannot *directly* install Windows XP onto an
    > external hard drive; however, using a disk imaging program, e.g., Symantec's
    > Ghost, Acronis True Image, etc., you can clone the contents of your internal
    > HD containing the XP OS to your EHD. Understand that the EHD will not be
    > bootable (at least in my experience), but you could re:clone the contents
    > back to your internal HD should the need arise.
    > Anna

    Hi

    My problem is that I can't have windows on my internal HD.
    Would it be possible to temporary install WXP on an internal HD and
    then clone it to the usbdrive, (try to) make that partition bootable,
    and thu an external bootloader, boot the usbdrive ?

    Is it impossible to install W2k directly on to the EHD too?

    Regards

    /axel

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message news:<#e38GKHOFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
    > Q. "Is it true that WindowsXP can't be installed to an USB 2.0 harddisk?"
    >
    > A. That is correct. Windows XP cannot be installed on any external drive.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Arcane" wrote:
    >
    > | Carey:
    > |
    > | Is it true that WindowsXP can't be installed to an USB 2.0 harddisk?
    > | I have tried to start the setup, the harddisk works, but durint the
    > | installation procedure Windows does not even recognize a partition on
    > | the USB HD and I get the message that Windows also can't create a
    > | partition without further software. So is there any controller like
    > | RAID or SCSI which I can add so that Windows can be installed on an
    > | external USB HD?
    > | If not, how can I make an UDB HD bootable with WindowsXP?

Windows XP Hard Drives