Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have a problem that occurs in Windows XP Home when I boot it on a computer
I built myself. It restarts after I boot it. I see something blue (never
good) flash on the screen, and then it just restarts. This always happens
without fail. I believe I have narrowed it down to either the motherboard
or processor. I replaced the power supply, but that didn't help. I know
its not the HDD because I've used it on another PC. I've tried it without
any extras (CD, FDD, NIC's, USB devices), but nothing helps. I have the
Shuttle AV42. Will I have to buy another motherboard?

Thanks,
Adam

Adam Stoffel wrote:
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> I have a problem that occurs in Windows XP Home when I boot it on a computer
> I built myself. It restarts after I boot it. I see something blue (never
> good) flash on the screen, and then it just restarts. This always happens
> without fail. I believe I have narrowed it down to either the motherboard
> or processor. I replaced the power supply, but that didn't help. I know
> its not the HDD because I've used it on another PC. I've tried it without
> any extras (CD, FDD, NIC's, USB devices), but nothing helps. I have the
> Shuttle AV42. Will I have to buy another motherboard?
>
> Thanks,
> Adam

When you built the computer did you do a fresh install of WinXP? If not
you should! I suspect a software problem, not motherboard or CPU. Also
try setting the BIOS to Fail Safe Defaults and restart (after fresh
install of WinXP).

--
FRH

You are not alone with problem, to try and overcome it I flashed the bios,
but something went wrong, have just replaced bios chip. So far it has
happened a couple of times (the rebooting) but last couple of days it seems
to be ok. The change that seems to be different this time is that when i
brought down the updates from Microsoft site after re-installing xp home
edition there was 2 driver updates and I installed those as well. Other odd
thing about it, problem was worse when using flat screen monitor not sure
how relevent observation is, but wonder if there is problem with onboard
video and flat screen monitors. Now using a Sony monitor that is not flat
screen see how we go.

regards mike

Frank Hagan wrote:
> When you built the computer did you do a fresh install of WinXP? If
> not you should! I suspect a software problem, not motherboard or CPU.
> Also try setting the BIOS to Fail Safe Defaults and restart (after fresh
> install of WinXP).

If you can ever get that far, (maybe try safe mode?):
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=DSuHW3TtzNA%24EAEO%40from.is.invalid

If it is trying to load drivers for hardware that is not present- problem.