lost sound after a system restore

sound device no longer present, need to reinstall BIOS. The thing is, BIOS
software not compatable with Windows XP. No update is available. How do I
restart computer in DOS and run BIOS from my CD-ROM?

Baffled, Whoa!!! You don't need to mess with the Bios. If you had sound
before you did a Restore, then most likely you
have to reinstall the audio driver. If you don't know what you have (
PCI Sound Card or Integrated Sound chip on Motherboard ) you can find out by
going to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information.
Look under Components>Sound Device. In the rt hand Panel it should tell you
what you have. Post back here with info and I
will help u.
"Baffled" <Baffled@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> sound device no longer present, need to reinstall BIOS. The thing is,
> BIOS
> software not compatable with Windows XP. No update is available. How do
> restart computer in DOS and run BIOS from my CD-ROM?

Rich,
The same thing has happened to me. I have tried reinstalling the sound
driver, as far as the computer is concerned it works ok, but when i look in
sound and audio devices it says no devices.
I have taken a screenie of the system info if that'd help u. I will email it
to you if that is possible. I know its SoundMAX.
MJ

You may want to try a different PCI Slot. If you have integrated sound
on the Motherboard that should be disabled in
the Bios.