problem with onboard broadcom lan in shuttle sb75g2

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
July 17, 2004 7:53:39 PM

This is a brand new barebones system I put together Thursday. Here's what's
inside:
p4 3.0 800mhz prescott
1 gb ram
radeon 9800pro
broadcom netxtreme gigabit lan (onboard)
realtek audio (onboard)
usb, firewire, sata, etc
sata hard drive, liteon dvd
phoenix bios

The problem I am having occurs with both XP Pro sp1 and Win2k sp2 (didn't
bother to patch when the same behavior as XP occured immediately). After
applying sp1 to xp, I go to install the latest broadcom drivers (march of
this year), the drivers install, then the system becomes unstable eventually
blue screening. If I disable the device via the hardware manager it works
fine. However, even after adding an old 3c905 xp will not recognize/install
it. So esentially, I have a system that will do everything but get on the
network.

I have read some about people having irq conflicts with onboard broadcom
chips, mostly on asus board. However, I am at a loss on how to resolve the
problem in the SB75G2. I am about ready to drop this thing out the window,
or maybe return it, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Sean
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 18, 2004 2:52:47 AM

".." <.@.com> wrote in message news:XtfKc.1421$tR1.550@lakeread07...
> This is a brand new barebones system I put together Thursday. Here's
what's
> inside:
> p4 3.0 800mhz prescott
> 1 gb ram
> radeon 9800pro
> broadcom netxtreme gigabit lan (onboard)
> realtek audio (onboard)
> usb, firewire, sata, etc
> sata hard drive, liteon dvd
> phoenix bios
>
> The problem I am having occurs with both XP Pro sp1 and Win2k sp2 (didn't
> bother to patch when the same behavior as XP occured immediately). After
> applying sp1 to xp, I go to install the latest broadcom drivers (march of
> this year), the drivers install, then the system becomes unstable
eventually
> blue screening. If I disable the device via the hardware manager it works
> fine. However, even after adding an old 3c905 xp will not
recognize/install
> it. So esentially, I have a system that will do everything but get on the
> network.
>
> I have read some about people having irq conflicts with onboard broadcom
> chips, mostly on asus board. However, I am at a loss on how to resolve
the
> problem in the SB75G2. I am about ready to drop this thing out the
window,
> or maybe return it, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> -Sean

Did the problem occur with the Shuttle supplied drivers on the CD? Although
the shuttle driver version is older, it may be better for the onboard
version of the broadcom 5788.
Also, there is a Broadcom management/diags utility "BACS" supplied on the CD
\MgmtApps subdirectory which can be installed.
I don't have this machine, is it possible to change the irq from the bios? -
you may have to use ctrl-s to access the network bios.
If all else fails, there is a DOS diags utility available from Broadcom's
site - http://www.broadcom.com/drivers/downloaddrivers.php

Dave
!