8603. PS/2 Pointing device error or not connected

April 1, 2005 12:49:01 AM

When I boot XP pro, I get this error message just before the XP start up
screen,

8603. PS/2 Pointing device error or not connected

I press OK and the computer boots normally and the mouse works fine.

My mouse is a Logitech MouseMan wheel , it's plugged in USB.
I got the latest drivers and software for the mouse.
In the Hardware Manager of the system properties, in the mouse and pointing
devices section, it only lists:

HID-compliant MouseMan Wheel

I know for sure it used to show a second mouse, named PS/2 Compatible
Pointing Device or something like that... That is before I update the
mouseware... however, I was still getting this 8603 error at startup with the
older mouseware.

specs:
Aptiva - Pentium III 550MHz
128MB RAM
Windows XP pro

Thanks.
April 1, 2005 4:40:57 AM

sam wrote:

> When I boot XP pro, I get this error message just before the XP start up
> screen,
>
> 8603. PS/2 Pointing device error or not connected

That's your motherboard's BIOS telling you there's nothing plugged in to
the PS/2 mouse port. Since you are using a USB mouse, this message is of
no concern, but probably cannot be supressed. You'll just have to ignore it.

Sunny

> I press OK and the computer boots normally and the mouse works fine.
>
> My mouse is a Logitech MouseMan wheel , it's plugged in USB.
> I got the latest drivers and software for the mouse.
> In the Hardware Manager of the system properties, in the mouse and pointing
> devices section, it only lists:
>
> HID-compliant MouseMan Wheel
>
> I know for sure it used to show a second mouse, named PS/2 Compatible
> Pointing Device or something like that... That is before I update the
> mouseware... however, I was still getting this 8603 error at startup with the
> older mouseware.
>

> specs:
> Aptiva - Pentium III 550MHz
> 128MB RAM
> Windows XP pro
>

> Thanks.
April 1, 2005 9:39:06 AM

Hi,

Try boot into BIOS and then disable the PS/2 port, enable the USB support
then save and exit BIOS setup.

Note: Remember this setting and enable the PS/2 port in BIOS when you want
to use PS/2 mouse sometimes later.

Peter

"sam" wrote:

> When I boot XP pro, I get this error message just before the XP start up
> screen,
>
> 8603. PS/2 Pointing device error or not connected
>
> I press OK and the computer boots normally and the mouse works fine.
>
> My mouse is a Logitech MouseMan wheel , it's plugged in USB.
> I got the latest drivers and software for the mouse.
> In the Hardware Manager of the system properties, in the mouse and pointing
> devices section, it only lists:
>
> HID-compliant MouseMan Wheel
>
> I know for sure it used to show a second mouse, named PS/2 Compatible
> Pointing Device or something like that... That is before I update the
> mouseware... however, I was still getting this 8603 error at startup with the
> older mouseware.
>

> specs:
> Aptiva - Pentium III 550MHz
> 128MB RAM
> Windows XP pro
>

> Thanks.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 11:44:23 AM

Did you look in the BIOS to see if the Mouse is being reserved or set on
the PS/2 port or IRQ 12? If it's set there, then disable it.

!