Printing a .PRN file to an LPR TCP/IP printer

April 1, 2005 11:09:07 AM

To print a large family tree on a commercial large format plotter, I
installed the printer driver for that large format plotter on my home PC
(running XP professional). I then printed the family tree to that printer
using the Print to File dialog box which then created a file called TREE.PRN.

I took this file to the commercial printer and asked that they copy that
file to the plotter to print my file in COMMAND mode using the syntax ...

copy /b C:\temp\tree.prn LPT1

Since this printer is networked and has a TCP/IP address, we used the
printer port address in place of LPT1. Unfortunately, it appears that this
COPY command only accepts LPT1 as the destination and will not function if an
IP address is entered in place of LPT1.

Does any onehave a suggestion on how to print a .PRN file to an IP addressed
printer?
--
Andy
Anonymous

net use LPT1 \\ipaddress\lpr

--
Jonah
"Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> To print a large family tree on a commercial large format plotter, I
> installed the printer driver for that large format plotter on my home PC
> (running XP professional). I then printed the family tree to that printer
> using the Print to File dialog box which then created a file called
> TREE.PRN.
>
> I took this file to the commercial printer and asked that they copy that
> file to the plotter to print my file in COMMAND mode using the syntax ...
>
> copy /b C:\temp\tree.prn LPT1
>
> Since this printer is networked and has a TCP/IP address, we used the
> printer port address in place of LPT1. Unfortunately, it appears that
> this
> COPY command only accepts LPT1 as the destination and will not function if
> an
> IP address is entered in place of LPT1.
>
> Does any onehave a suggestion on how to print a .PRN file to an IP
> addressed
> printer?
> --
> Andy
April 2, 2005 10:18:39 PM

Hi Jonah,

Thanks for the suggestion, which I will pass it on to the commercial print
shop I am dealing with.

After posting my query, I went searching for the answer to my question
within this community users group and found a number of similar questions to
the one I had posted. The good news is that the answers to those questions
were similar to your suggestion.

So I guess the moral of the story is to search deeper first.

Many thanks for giving up part of your night to provide this answer!

Andy

!