chkdsk failure question.

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

I made a boo boo when I installed a second hard drive. I forgot to change the
jumper to slave. I booted the computer and it hung up and sent me to chkdsk.
Well the screen says it will perform three operations and it goes thought the
first 100% no problem. When it starts to check the index it reports index
failure and then eventually starts up win xp. Well, I see the error of my
ways and I change the jumper to slave and it works fine now. But I still get
the chkdsk utility each time I start the computer. It always fails the index
test, then starts. Everything seems to work fine, but I want to fix the error
message and the long boot time of going through chkdsk each time.

How do I fix the index problem or change whatever I need to change in order
to get the system to start normally?

George, check at Kelly's. http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
Select C and scroll to
Check Disk - Disk Checking Runs Upon Boot

"George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I made a boo boo when I installed a second hard drive. I forgot to change
>the
> jumper to slave. I booted the computer and it hung up and sent me to
> chkdsk.
> Well the screen says it will perform three operations and it goes thought
> the
> first 100% no problem. When it starts to check the index it reports index
> failure and then eventually starts up win xp. Well, I see the error of my
> ways and I change the jumper to slave and it works fine now. But I still
> get
> the chkdsk utility each time I start the computer. It always fails the
> test, then starts. Everything seems to work fine, but I want to fix the
> error
> message and the long boot time of going through chkdsk each time.
>
> How do I fix the index problem or change whatever I need to change in
> order
> to get the system to start normally?

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Rich, that is a great site. I ran the prompt suggestions.
I checked and the drive is listed as dirty. And chkdsk still runs on every
restart.

There is no schedule to run chkdsk, it is doing it because it sees the disk
as dirty. How do I fix the problem. The message I get is "C volume is dirty.
Unspecified error while verifying indexes." This happens just as chkdsk is
starting the index verification.

How do I fix the indexes?

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> George, check at Kelly's. http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
> Select C and scroll to
> Check Disk - Disk Checking Runs Upon Boot

George, take a look here.
http://castlecops.com/postp504557.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q218461/ This maybe of some help

"George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I made a boo boo when I installed a second hard drive. I forgot to change
>the
> jumper to slave. I booted the computer and it hung up and sent me to
> chkdsk.
> Well the screen says it will perform three operations and it goes thought
> the
> first 100% no problem. When it starts to check the index it reports index
> failure and then eventually starts up win xp. Well, I see the error of my
> ways and I change the jumper to slave and it works fine now. But I still
> get
> the chkdsk utility each time I start the computer. It always fails the
> test, then starts. Everything seems to work fine, but I want to fix the
> error
> message and the long boot time of going through chkdsk each time.
>
> How do I fix the index problem or change whatever I need to change in
> order
> to get the system to start normally?

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Thanks Rich,
That is a pretty gloomy scenario...
I will keep checking. Thanks for the great links.