AN35N Sound Problem

I'd really appreciate some help with this, as it's driving me nuts. I
have a Shuttle 35N Ultra MB with Realtek ALC650 6 channel on-board. I
bought Logitech Z-640 speakers, and I can't get any sound out of the
center *or* rear speakers. I know the speakers are fine, since I
hooked the rear into the front speaker jack and they worked, and I
tested the "Matrix" feature which gives sound out of the center
speaker without using true surround, and the center was fine too. The
front speakers and the sub are working fine, and I just get an
extremely faint whisper on one of the rear, but that's it.

I have the green (front) cable connected to the "line out" jack, the
black (rear) to the "line in" jack, and the orange to the center jack,
which I'm 99% sure is correct. I know the center shares it's jack with
"mic in" and the rear with the "line in" - NVidia's driver has an
advanced menu where you can check off that selection. I also changed
the menu to "5.1 surround speakers" - still nothing. Is this a jumper
setting? A driver issue? If that's the case, is there a download that
would help?

As I said, this is driving me nuts - any help would be much
appreciated.

Dan

In article <6e9a2035.0408032001.6c7c326b@posting.google.com>, Guardian Enzo
says...

>I'd really appreciate some help with this, as it's driving me nuts. I
>have a Shuttle 35N Ultra MB with Realtek ALC650 6 channel on-board. I
>bought Logitech Z-640 speakers, and I can't get any sound out of the
>center *or* rear speakers. I know the speakers are fine, since I
>hooked the rear into the front speaker jack and they worked, and I
>tested the "Matrix" feature which gives sound out of the center
>speaker without using true surround, and the center was fine too. The
>front speakers and the sub are working fine, and I just get an
>extremely faint whisper on one of the rear, but that's it.
>
>I have the green (front) cable connected to the "line out" jack, the
>black (rear) to the "line in" jack, and the orange to the center jack,
>which I'm 99% sure is correct. I know the center shares it's jack with
>"mic in" and the rear with the "line in" - NVidia's driver has an
>advanced menu where you can check off that selection. I also changed
>the menu to "5.1 surround speakers" - still nothing. Is this a jumper
>setting? A driver issue? If that's the case, is there a download that
>would help?
>
>As I said, this is driving me nuts - any help would be much
>appreciated.
>
>Dan

Did you use the apeaker wizard in the Nvidia NVMixer to set up your speakers and
test them? What driver version are you running? If you use the wizard it will
do a sound test on all of your speakers.

Ed

Ed_ <eddie4664deletethis@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ceuqk90i1e@drn.newsguy.com>...
> In article <6e9a2035.0408032001.6c7c326b@posting.google.com>, Guardian Enzo
> says...
> >
> >I'd really appreciate some help with this, as it's driving me nuts. I
> >have a Shuttle 35N Ultra MB with Realtek ALC650 6 channel on-board. I
> >bought Logitech Z-640 speakers, and I can't get any sound out of the
> >center *or* rear speakers. I know the speakers are fine, since I
> >hooked the rear into the front speaker jack and they worked, and I
> >tested the "Matrix" feature which gives sound out of the center
> >speaker without using true surround, and the center was fine too. The
> >front speakers and the sub are working fine, and I just get an
> >extremely faint whisper on one of the rear, but that's it.
> >
> >I have the green (front) cable connected to the "line out" jack, the
> >black (rear) to the "line in" jack, and the orange to the center jack,
> >which I'm 99% sure is correct. I know the center shares it's jack with
> >"mic in" and the rear with the "line in" - NVidia's driver has an
> >advanced menu where you can check off that selection. I also changed
> >the menu to "5.1 surround speakers" - still nothing. Is this a jumper
> >setting? A driver issue? If that's the case, is there a download that
> >would help?
> >
> >As I said, this is driving me nuts - any help would be much
> >appreciated.
> >
> >Dan
>

> Did you use the apeaker wizard in the Nvidia NVMixer to set up your speakers and
> test them? What driver version are you running? If you use the wizard it will
> do a sound test on all of your speakers.
>
> Ed

Ed, that was the problem - the NVidia driver didn't have any kind of
speaker test or anything. I set it for 5.1 surround - no luck. I
finally downloaded Realtek's driver, and that, happily, fixed the
problem.

Ed_ <eddie4664deletethis@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<ceuqk90i1e@drn.newsguy.com>...
> In article <6e9a2035.0408032001.6c7c326b@posting.google.com>, Guardian Enzo
> says...
> >
> >I'd really appreciate some help with this, as it's driving me nuts. I
> >have a Shuttle 35N Ultra MB with Realtek ALC650 6 channel on-board. I
> >bought Logitech Z-640 speakers, and I can't get any sound out of the
> >center *or* rear speakers. I know the speakers are fine, since I
> >hooked the rear into the front speaker jack and they worked, and I
> >tested the "Matrix" feature which gives sound out of the center
> >speaker without using true surround, and the center was fine too. The
> >front speakers and the sub are working fine, and I just get an
> >extremely faint whisper on one of the rear, but that's it.
> >
> >I have the green (front) cable connected to the "line out" jack, the
> >black (rear) to the "line in" jack, and the orange to the center jack,
> >which I'm 99% sure is correct. I know the center shares it's jack with
> >"mic in" and the rear with the "line in" - NVidia's driver has an
> >advanced menu where you can check off that selection. I also changed
> >the menu to "5.1 surround speakers" - still nothing. Is this a jumper
> >setting? A driver issue? If that's the case, is there a download that
> >would help?
> >
> >As I said, this is driving me nuts - any help would be much
> >appreciated.
> >
> >Dan
>

> Did you use the apeaker wizard in the Nvidia NVMixer to set up your speakers and
> test them? What driver version are you running? If you use the wizard it will
> do a sound test on all of your speakers.
>
> Ed

Ed, that was the problem - the NVidia driver didn't have any kind of
speaker test or anything. I set it for 5.1 surround - no luck. I
finally downloaded Realtek's driver, and that, happily, fixed the
problem.

I'm not sure from the post which chipset/audio drivers you are using;
on all my 35N boards I had the junky realtec drivers on the board CD;
did you download/install the NVIDIA chipset drivers from their
website? When I did my audio improved dramatically.