Motherboard crashed

My Motherboard just quit. If I replace it, do I have to buy new Windows O.S.?

If XP was pre-installed, like on a Dell, Gateway, etc, you must either get a
new motherboard from the PC maker, or you will need to buy a new copy of XP.
If you deal with the PC maker, be sure that they agree that the old XP will
work with the new motherboard, without an license/activation problems. They
may alternaively ship you a new CD with a new motherboard. They might even
want the whole PC, and will install a new motherboard, wipe the disk, and
reinstall XP and anything else you bought form them. But, be warned, one
way or another their solution they give you may involve automatically
formating your hard disk, so be sure to backup personal files off the PC.

If you purchased an OEM copy of XP and used it to build your own PC, then
you are out of luck, since that sort of XP can only be installed once, on
the "original equipment".

But, if you bought a full retail version of XP (or retail upgrade to XP),
then you can transfer that license as many times as you want. In the case
of the upgrade version, it may ask you to provide proof of a prior
qualifying version of windows, meaning 98, ME, or 2000. So, have the
appropriate CD handy.

In any case, you will likely need to do a "repair" installation of XP to get
the hardware drivers changed for the new motherboard, which usually means
new CPU, new RAM, new disk controllers, new USB, maybe new video chip, etc,
etc. Do this before attempting to boot into XP with the new motherboard.
Note that it is after you get to the XP desktop that you will be asked about
activation.

Finallyl, if you have the retail version of XP, do not worry about failing
the on-line activation. Just call the 800 number that will appear and
explain what happened. I have found the Microsoft representatives to be
quite reasonable.

"Oskee San" <Oskee San@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Motherboard just quit. If I replace it, do I have to buy new Windows
> O.S.?

anna

"Bob Harris" <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com> wrote in message
(snipped non-relevant portions)
> > In any case, you will likely need to do a "repair" installation of XP to
> > get
> the hardware drivers changed for the new motherboard, which usually means
> new CPU, new RAM, new disk controllers, new USB, maybe new video chip, >
> etc, etc. Do this before attempting to boot into XP with the new
> motherboard. Note that it is after you get to the XP desktop that you will
> be asked about activation.
(snipped)

Bob:
Good information re a Repair install that you furnished the OP who inquired
about what to do following a motherboard change.

I would like you to clarify your comment re your cautionary note about not
attempting to boot into XP following a motherboard change, but first perform
a Repair install. At least I think that's what you were indicating.

I have come across a few commentators, including the popular Michael Stevens
website, that also advise that course of action, and I'm somewhat puzzled by
it. As a matter of fact I've seen comments that to perform an initial boot
following a motherboard change invites the possibility of some "fatal"
occurrence (although it's never clear exactly what this means). Do you
foresee any problems arising from the fact that a user will attempt a
initial boot following a motherboard change? In my own experience - I've
installed or participated in the installation of scores of motherboard
changes - I've *always* attempted a initial boot following such change.
We've found that in a significant minority of cases the system *will* boot,
obviating the need for a Repair install. Admittedly, in the majority of
cases a Repair install *will* be necessary as well as the need to load
drivers. I have never encountered a single instance where performing either
a successful or failed initial boot following a major component change,
including a motherboard change, caused any subsequent problems involving the
operating system that could be traced to such a first boot in this
situation. Has your experience differed from mine?
Anna

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 07:53:03 -0800, Oskee San wrote:

> My Motherboard just quit. If I replace it, do I have to buy new Windows
> O.S.?

Replacement of a motherboard is considered considered within the licensing
agreement by Microsoft. If your computer has a OEM install and is BIOS
Locked, you may have problems.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

"Bob Harris" <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>If you purchased an OEM copy of XP and used it to build your own PC, then
>you are out of luck, since that sort of XP can only be installed once, on
>the "original equipment".

That is not correct. The generic OEM versions, such as are supplied
to small assemblers/distributors, will allow a motherboard replacement
and repair install, although a manual activation by telephone may be
required.

It is the BIOS locked OEM versions distributed by the larger
manufacturers that are affected by the changes in activation with
regard to motherboard replacements.

Hope this clarifies the situation.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada