SN45GV2 - will POST, won't POST

Hi All
I just got the above as a barebone system with a 3200 400 fsb cpu and
matching memory installed by the vendor. I have added the hard drive,
the floppy and the cd.
9 times out of 10 the thing will not POST - it hunts the cd rom as the
first boot device and then dies - leaving the power light on and
(strangely) the hard drive led on (though no noise from the hard
drive). If I leave it a random amount of time (but quite long, say 24
hours) then it will POST once. I used this today and successfully
went through a full windows installation - including a number of
software soft resets - with no problem. The thing worked flawlessly
for 2 hours or so. Then I turned it off (from windows). Half an hour
later I turned it back on - back to the no POST problem. In the
interim I hadn't touched the thing - aside from pressing the power on
button.
Any help much appreciated - a search of this board showed one other
with an issue like mine, but no answer. So very grateful if someone
can give me a clue.
Many thanks
Chris

Chris Davies wrote:

> Hi All
> I just got the above as a barebone system with a 3200 400 fsb cpu and
> matching memory installed by the vendor. I have added the hard drive,
> the floppy and the cd.

Could it be your computer is consuming too much energy? Try
disconnecting stuff you don't need (cdrom, floppy).

Hope this helps,

Jan

Thanks Jan
I will try that - but since I only have a graphics card, a single hdd,
a cd and a floppy attached, it would seem unlikely. It is working at
the moment, but once it dies I will try.
One other thing I forgot to mention - sometimes when it does POST (but
not always) I get a message along the lines
"Warning! Now system is in safe mode
Please re-setting CPU or memory ratio frequency in CMOS setup"
I should add that I have not changed the set up provided by the vendor
-which looks right to me.
Chris

cjpd@btclick.com (Chris Davies) wrote in message news:<9484bfe4.0408102124.2da749a9@posting.google.com>...
> Well I tried disconnecting the floppy, the CD and even the hdd - no dice, no difference. Any other thoughts anyone?
Chris

Chris Davies wrote:

> cjpd@btclick.com (Chris Davies) wrote in message news:<9484bfe4.0408102124.2da749a9@posting.google.com>...
> > Well I tried disconnecting the floppy, the CD and even the hdd - no dice, no difference. Any other thoughts anyone?
> Chris

OK, this is just wild guessing now: Could it be that the CPU overheats
and switches itself off? In other words, did you connect the heatpipe
and the (don't know the proper term) heat paste properly?

Is the mainboard power connector properly attached?

Otherwise, it could be a problem with the power supply itself. Do you
have a spare one you can use for testing?

Bye,

Jan

Have you checked the over temperature light situated on the motherboard...
Dom