XPSP Locks on bootup

I installed XPSP2 on all my XP machines. No problems except the Windows MCE
2004 PC on the shuttle locked up on reboot.

* I have a Shuttle ST61G4 PC / Prescott 2.8GHz CPU / 2x Seagate 80G SATA
Raid 0 configuration / 1G Ram
* Install Windows MCE Disk 1 & 2.
* Install the new XPSP2 and I can no longer boot (locks up loading drivers)
* In Safe mode it tells me loading atisgkaf.sys then locks. I renamed this
file and now it says loading driver MUP.sys and locks, so its the driver
after this causing the problem.
* I reinstalled SP1 and have blocked XP2 updates via the registry setting.

From looking at all the similar posts on
microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
I think we can count out Windows MCE.

The Shuttles only a few months old -- Under SP2 its now a door stop.

Some other PC have had success with updating the Bios.

Anyone other Shuttle owners seeing this problem?

Rob

Hi Rob,

I just bought today my SP61G2V3 machine, and as I installed Windows XP
Pro just fine, after installing XP SP2, it can only boot half way
through. I tried to boot in Safe mode with no much luck - in my case
it locks when loading "agp440.sys". I have removed my ATI 9600XT and
tried to boot again with the onboard Intel graphics, locking again
when loading "agp440.sys" - quite weird.

I just started looking through websites and forums, lucky me I still
have my old PIII desktop :) I'll come back with an update if I'm able
to find a solution.

Dan

"Rob Chandler" <robertc@helpwareREMOVETHISTEXT.net> wrote in message news:<411d866f$0$2090$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>...
> I installed XPSP2 on all my XP machines. No problems except the Windows MCE
> 2004 PC on the shuttle locked up on reboot.
>
> * I have a Shuttle ST61G4 PC / Prescott 2.8GHz CPU / 2x Seagate 80G SATA
> Raid 0 configuration / 1G Ram
> * Install Windows MCE Disk 1 & 2.
> * Install the new XPSP2 and I can no longer boot (locks up loading drivers)
> * In Safe mode it tells me loading atisgkaf.sys then locks. I renamed this
> file and now it says loading driver MUP.sys and locks, so its the driver
> after this causing the problem.
> * I reinstalled SP1 and have blocked XP2 updates via the registry setting.
>
> From looking at all the similar posts on
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
> I think we can count out Windows MCE.
>
> The Shuttles only a few months old -- Under SP2 its now a door stop.
>
> Some other PC have had success with updating the Bios.
>
> Anyone other Shuttle owners seeing this problem?
>
> Rob

I had the problem with atisgkaf.sys also. I was not running SP2. I am not
sure how I fixed it but I did at least the following.
It was very hot and humid at the time. I removed the case cover and made
sure the IC fan was turning.
I removed my modem card and software. It was a voice/fax modem.
I un-overclocked the CPU.
My feeling is that it is a problem with the ATI chipset or software.
Good Luck.......

"Rob Chandler" <robertc@helpwareREMOVETHISTEXT.net> wrote in message
> I installed XPSP2 on all my XP machines. No problems except the Windows
MCE
> 2004 PC on the shuttle locked up on reboot.
>
> * I have a Shuttle ST61G4 PC / Prescott 2.8GHz CPU / 2x Seagate 80G SATA
> Raid 0 configuration / 1G Ram
> * Install Windows MCE Disk 1 & 2.
> * Install the new XPSP2 and I can no longer boot (locks up loading
drivers)
> * In Safe mode it tells me loading atisgkaf.sys then locks. I renamed this
> file and now it says loading driver MUP.sys and locks, so its the driver
> after this causing the problem.
> * I reinstalled SP1 and have blocked XP2 updates via the registry setting.
>
> From looking at all the similar posts on
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
> I think we can count out Windows MCE.
>
> The Shuttles only a few months old -- Under SP2 its now a door stop.
>
> Some other PC have had success with updating the Bios.
>
> Anyone other Shuttle owners seeing this problem?
>
> Rob

FYI Information Shuttle sent me a Beta Bios version and that is happy under
SP2
Rob