microdirect.co.uk = thieves!

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.peripherals.misc,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

Ordered some parts in April to build a new computer, never received
anything,
asked for a refund/credit several times. They said that it might take up to
28 days to process! I have received refunds on my credit card in the past,
after 4 or 5 days.
Anyway, I never received any credit, and they were very rude and arrogant on
the phone

I then had to ask my credit card company to recover the money for me. They
said it may
take up to 6 months, which I don't understand as the only thing required is
ask for proof of delivery (which they won't have). Today, 15th August (5
months later), still no money. Money has been credited, but is frozen so
can't be used.

Annoying when it's for several hundred pounds, and when you still need to
get the parts from elsewhere.

Conclusion: avoid micro direct (www.microdirect.co.uk), they are just plain
dishonest and cow boys! It is not worth taking the risk of loosing several
hundred pounds, to save a few.

Tom
22 answers Last reply
More about microdirect thieves
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.peripherals.misc,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    "Tom" <Tom@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Ordered some parts in April to build a new computer, never received
    > anything,
    > asked for a refund/credit several times. They said that it might take up
    > 28 days to process! I have received refunds on my credit card in the past,
    > after 4 or 5 days.
    > Anyway, I never received any credit, and they were very rude and arrogant
    on
    > the phone
    >
    > I then had to ask my credit card company to recover the money for me. They
    > said it may
    > take up to 6 months, which I don't understand as the only thing required
    is
    > ask for proof of delivery (which they won't have). Today, 15th August (5
    > months later), still no money. Money has been credited, but is frozen so
    > can't be used.
    >
    > Annoying when it's for several hundred pounds, and when you still need to
    > get the parts from elsewhere.
    >
    > Conclusion: avoid micro direct (www.microdirect.co.uk), they are just
    plain
    > dishonest and cow boys! It is not worth taking the risk of loosing several
    > hundred pounds, to save a few.
    >
    > Tom

    Last time i went down, the place was overrun with the owners kids. I got
    the impression its owned and
    run by a large indian family and just about the entire family works there.
  2. Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.peripherals.misc,uk.comp.vendors,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:10:39 UTC in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle,
    "Tom" <Tom@nospam.com> wrote:

    > Conclusion: avoid micro direct (www.microdirect.co.uk), they are just plain
    > dishonest and cow boys! It is not worth taking the risk of loosing several
    > hundred pounds, to save a few.

    Never had a problem with them, ordered several thousand pounds of stuff
    from them, delivery's been prompt, usually quicker than quoted and
    everything has worked perfectly.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley@dial.pipex.com

    > Annoying when it's for several hundred pounds, and when you still need to
    > get the parts from elsewhere.
    >
    > Conclusion: avoid micro direct (www.microdirect.co.uk), they are just plain
    > dishonest and cow boys! It is not worth taking the risk of loosing several
    > hundred pounds, to save a few.
    >
    > Tom

    i returned a moniitor recently that was no longer required - collection
    was prompt and refund sorted with no trouble at all
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.peripherals.misc,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    Tom wrote:

    > Conclusion: avoid micro direct (www.microdirect.co.uk), they are just plain
    > dishonest and cow boys! It is not worth taking the risk of loosing several
    > hundred pounds, to save a few.
    >
    > Tom

    Conclusion: microdirect probably sent the items and the courier either
    lost or nicked it. Not uncommon - its now in the hands of your credit
    card company so why post about it here?

    Second conclusion: Why is that scoobies who post OTT messages about
    suppliers can never spell the word 'lose' or 'losing'?

    g.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.peripherals.misc,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 11:58:54 +0100, Fat Freddy's Cat <port_26@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Second conclusion: Why is that scoobies who post OTT messages about
    >suppliers can never spell the word 'lose' or 'losing'?

    The money's frozen, so he just might mean loose !

    --

    Jock.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.peripherals.misc,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    "jas" <no@email.here> wrote in message
    > > Annoying when it's for several hundred pounds, and when you still need
    > > get the parts from elsewhere.

    > i returned a moniitor recently that was no longer required - collection
    was prompt and refund sorted with no trouble at all

    May I be so brave as to suggest that you are Asian and therefore were
    treated better by the firm.

    That is not a racist comment, just a cynical observation

    (Jas is an Indian name eh?)
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.peripherals.misc,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    I don't know why it was never received, but it's not really my job to check
    with their courrier company, is it? Looking at other posts on various
    groups, it seems that they are using one of worst courrier in the UK anyway.

    I sent a number of emails to micro direct, and they never replied, so I
    wonder why they display email addresses on their site. Then I called them
    several times, and they never issues a refund, which is not normal
    behaviour... I can understand those things can happen from time to time, but
    then you just expect to get a refund for the £600 you paid.

    Sorry for the spelling mistakes, I sware I wo'nt do itt agein.

    "Fat Freddy's Cat" <port_26@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Tom wrote:
    >

    >> Conclusion: avoid micro direct (www.microdirect.co.uk), they are just
    >> plain
    >> dishonest and cow boys! It is not worth taking the risk of loosing
    >> several hundred pounds, to save a few.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >>

    > Conclusion: microdirect probably sent the items and the courier either
    > lost or nicked it. Not uncommon - its now in the hands of your credit card
    > company so why post about it here?
    >
    > Second conclusion: Why is that scoobies who post OTT messages about
    > suppliers can never spell the word 'lose' or 'losing'?
    >
    > g.
  8. Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.peripherals.misc,uk.comp.vendors,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    well, congratulations to you then.

    I think you can only measure the true quality of a company regarding
    customer service when something unusual occurs. Even if only 1 out of 100
    micro direct customers is losing his/her money when buying from them, it is
    still not normal and risky compared to mainstream competitors. I personally
    don't think that ordering online should be anything to do with gambling...

    "Trevor Hemsley" <Trevor-Hemsley@no.spam.dial.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:10:39 UTC in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle,
    > "Tom" <Tom@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Conclusion: avoid micro direct (www.microdirect.co.uk), they are just
    >> plain
    >> dishonest and cow boys! It is not worth taking the risk of loosing
    >> several
    >> hundred pounds, to save a few.
    >
    > Never had a problem with them, ordered several thousand pounds of stuff
    > from them, delivery's been prompt, usually quicker than quoted and
    > everything has worked perfectly.
    >
    > --
    > Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    > Trevor-Hemsley@dial.pipex.com
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.peripherals.misc,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    In article <2o8v7kF7u1vsU1@uni-berlin.de>,
    mark@SPAMGAURDatholmarketing.com says...

    > "jas" <no@email.here> wrote in message
    > > > Annoying when it's for several hundred pounds, and when you still need
    > > > get the parts from elsewhere.
    >
    > > i returned a moniitor recently that was no longer required - collection
    > was prompt and refund sorted with no trouble at all
    >
    > May I be so brave as to suggest that you are Asian and therefore were
    > treated better by the firm.
    >
    > That is not a racist comment, just a cynical observation
    >
    > (Jas is an Indian name eh?)

    ;o) .... Jas in my case is short for Jason, a white born and raised in
    the dark depths of Birmingham.
  10. Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.peripherals.misc,uk.comp.vendors,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    In message <gjxI70UYBlcC-pn2-WN5dWXkCWdKO@trevor2.dsl.pipex.com>, Trevor
    Hemsley <Trevor-Hemsley@no.spam.dial.pipex.com> writes
    >On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:10:39 UTC in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle,
    >"Tom" <Tom@nospam.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Conclusion: avoid micro direct (www.microdirect.co.uk), they are just plain
    >> dishonest and cow boys! It is not worth taking the risk of loosing several
    >> hundred pounds, to save a few.
    >
    >Never had a problem with them, ordered several thousand pounds of stuff
    >from them, delivery's been prompt, usually quicker than quoted and
    >everything has worked perfectly.

    Thieving lying scumbags robbed me a few years back and never dealt with
    them since..

    Under £30 so not worth chasing
    --
    Nigel J Carron
  11. Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.peripherals.misc,uk.comp.vendors,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Tom thanks for the warning!

    When Iclaim a refund from visa it takes 6 weeks for the money to go back to
    my account and then they have 6 weeks to dispute it but visa say "they
    better have a damn good reason if they want to dispute it"

    Why your cc company say 6 months I dont know

    Take a small claims action against them to claim compo for their negligence!

    You are quite right to post these people as bad traders so ignore the
    idiots!

    "nigel. carron" <nigel.carron@buchanbroad.org.uk> wrote in message
    > In message <gjxI70UYBlcC-pn2-WN5dWXkCWdKO@trevor2.dsl.pipex.com>, Trevor
    > Hemsley <Trevor-Hemsley@no.spam.dial.pipex.com> writes
    > >On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:10:39 UTC in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle,
    > >"Tom" <Tom@nospam.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Conclusion: avoid micro direct (www.microdirect.co.uk), they are just
    plain
    > >> dishonest and cow boys! It is not worth taking the risk of loosing
    several
    > >> hundred pounds, to save a few.
    > >
    > >Never had a problem with them, ordered several thousand pounds of stuff
    > >from them, delivery's been prompt, usually quicker than quoted and
    > >everything has worked perfectly.
    > >

    > Thieving lying scumbags robbed me a few years back and never dealt with
    > them since..
    >
    > Under £30 so not worth chasing
    > --
    > Nigel J Carron

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.peripherals.misc,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    In article <MPG.1b8950605f33d68e9896b3@news.gradwell.com>, no@email.here
    says...
    > > Annoying when it's for several hundred pounds, and when you still need to
    > > get the parts from elsewhere.
    > >
    > > Conclusion: avoid micro direct (www.microdirect.co.uk), they are just plain
    > > dishonest and cow boys! It is not worth taking the risk of loosing several
    > > hundred pounds, to save a few.
    > >
    > > Tom
    >
    > i returned a moniitor recently that was no longer required - collection
    > was prompt and refund sorted with no trouble at all

    humble apologies ... i 'retract' what i said as i got it confused with:-

    microwarehouse.co.uk

    i have never dealt with microdirect ..... sorry!
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.peripherals.misc,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    jas <no@email.here> wrote:

    >> i returned a moniitor recently that was no longer required - collection
    >> was prompt and refund sorted with no trouble at all

    >humble apologies ... i 'retract' what i said as i got it confused with:-

    >microwarehouse.co.uk

    >i have never dealt with microdirect ..... sorry!

    Had plenty of dealings with Micro Warehouse and found their returns
    service top notch. Quick pickup and refunds normally sorted out
    within a few days.

    Never dealt with Microdirect tho' so don't know if the OPs experience
    in typical.

    --
    >iv< Paul >iv<
  14. Archived from groups: uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.peripherals.misc,uk.comp.vendors,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    "nigel. carron" <nigel.carron@buchanbroad.org.uk> wrote in message
    > In message <gjxI70UYBlcC-pn2-WN5dWXkCWdKO@trevor2.dsl.pipex.com>, Trevor
    > Hemsley <Trevor-Hemsley@no.spam.dial.pipex.com> writes
    > >On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:10:39 UTC in alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle,
    > >"Tom" <Tom@nospam.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Conclusion: avoid micro direct (www.microdirect.co.uk), they are just
    plain
    > >> dishonest and cow boys! It is not worth taking the risk of loosing
    several
    > >> hundred pounds, to save a few.
    > >
    > >Never had a problem with them, ordered several thousand pounds of stuff
    > >from them, delivery's been prompt, usually quicker than quoted and
    > >everything has worked perfectly.
    > >

    > Thieving lying scumbags robbed me a few years back and never dealt with
    > them since..
    >
    > Under £30 so not worth chasing
    > --
    > Nigel J Carron

    Used to use them a lot about 5 years back, then i had some missong hard
    disks from a package, and will never use them again.

    andy
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.peripherals.misc,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    Fat Freddy's Cat <port_26@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >Tom wrote:
    >>
    >> Conclusion: avoid micro direct (www.microdirect.co.uk), they are just plain
    >> dishonest and cow boys! It is not worth taking the risk of loosing several
    >> hundred pounds, to save a few.
    >
    >Conclusion: microdirect probably sent the items and the courier either
    >lost or nicked it. Not uncommon - its now in the hands of your credit
    >card company so why post about it here?
    >
    >Second conclusion: Why is that scoobies who post OTT messages about
    >suppliers can never spell the word 'lose' or 'losing'?

    Perhaps they just choose to spell it that way ;-)

    Tim
    --
    Google is not the only search engine.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.peripherals.misc,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    > In article <2o8v7kF7u1vsU1@uni-berlin.de>,
    > mark@SPAMGAURDatholmarketing.com says...
    > >
    > > "jas" <no@email.here> wrote in message
    >
    > ;o) .... Jas in my case is short for Jason, a white born and raised in
    the dark depths of Birmingham.

    apologies

    lol
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.peripherals.misc,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    Tom wrote:
    > I don't know why it was never received, but it's not really my job to check
    > with their courrier company, is it? Looking at other posts on various
    > groups, it seems that they are using one of worst courrier in the UK anyway.

    Would that be securicor (Omega) then?

    --
    http://gymratz.co.uk - UK's best bodybuilding supplements,gym equipment.
    http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam!

    "Tom" <Tom@nospam.com> wrote in

    > Ordered some parts in April to build a new computer, never
    > received anything,
    > asked for a refund/credit several times. They said that it might
    > take up to 28 days to process! I have received refunds on my
    > credit card in the past, after 4 or 5 days.
    > Anyway, I never received any credit, and they were very rude and
    > arrogant on the phone
    >
    > I then had to ask my credit card company to recover the money
    > for me.

    I've never had any sort of problem with them. Have you tried speaking
    to Trading Standards or your Citizens Advice Bureau?
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    well, by looking at a number of messages of this threads, there are issues
    with them!

    I am trying first to get the money back from the credit card company, if
    this is unsuccessful, I shall investigate other means...

    Thanks,
    Tom

    "Quentin Stephens" <stq@stq.gro.ku.invalid> wrote in message
    > "Tom" <Tom@nospam.com> wrote in
    >
    >> Ordered some parts in April to build a new computer, never
    >> received anything,
    >> asked for a refund/credit several times. They said that it might
    >> take up to 28 days to process! I have received refunds on my
    >> credit card in the past, after 4 or 5 days.
    >> Anyway, I never received any credit, and they were very rude and
    >> arrogant on the phone
    >>
    >> I then had to ask my credit card company to recover the money
    >> for me.
    >
    > I've never had any sort of problem with them. Have you tried speaking
    > to Trading Standards or your Citizens Advice Bureau?
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc,uk.comp.peripherals.misc,uk.comp.vendors (More info?)

    Well, now, I got my credit card refund, only 6 months after the claim!!!

    Surely, microdirect did everything they could to delay the process!!

    "Tom" <Tom@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Ordered some parts in April to build a new computer, never received
    > anything,
    > asked for a refund/credit several times. They said that it might take up
    > to 28 days to process! I have received refunds on my credit card in the
    > past, after 4 or 5 days.
    > Anyway, I never received any credit, and they were very rude and arrogant
    > on the phone
    >
    > I then had to ask my credit card company to recover the money for me. They
    > said it may
    > take up to 6 months, which I don't understand as the only thing required
    > is ask for proof of delivery (which they won't have). Today, 15th August
    > (5 months later), still no money. Money has been credited, but is frozen
    > so can't be used.
    >
    > Annoying when it's for several hundred pounds, and when you still need to
    > get the parts from elsewhere.
    >
    > Conclusion: avoid micro direct (www.microdirect.co.uk), they are just
    > plain
    > dishonest and cow boys! It is not worth taking the risk of loosing several
    > hundred pounds, to save a few.
    >
    > Tom

  21. I've purchased well over 10 thousand pounds worth of hardware from Microdirect over the last several years and am still buying from then preferentially both online and going direct to their warehouse in Manchester off the A6 and have always had good service. They have been curtious when in shop and when ordering online I've always received my orders within 2 days, and sometime the next day.

    I've never had any problems with returns, usually they have exchanged them in shop the same day apart from a memory card and a MoBo, which I had to wait four days for them to test the hardware.
  22. I have placed an order 2 weeks ago. It's status on my account is 'dispatched'. Nothing arrived here since then and when I came to their shop today I saw only 'refurbishment' sign attached on a closed door. I cannot contact them by the phone since 2 days as well. This stinks.

Motherboards