Errors and warnings from event viewer

I've been experiencing problems with my PC involving the HD light on the
front of the tower staying on longer than normal, followed by the PC
completely freezing up. I looked at the event log and am seeing several
different warning & errors which makes me 99% sure the D:\ drive is failing
(a Maxtor that's less than 2 years old). Based on the descriptions below,
would any of the experts here disagree?

Also, are there other (better / different) tools I'm not aware of that's
similar to the event viewer?

Thanks,

David...

Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file
D:\System Volume

{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file
.. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your
computer hardware or network connection.

The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may
occur.

Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for
the file D:\$BitMap. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a
failure of your computer hardware or network connection.

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\D.

www.maxtor.com

look for diagnostic software.

r.