USB 2.0 PCI Card Problems

I wanted to use a Thumb drive and USB external hard drive in high speed
mode so I bought a CompUSA (Ali) USB 2.0 expansion card, and installed
it in my PC (XP Pro, SP1, P IV 1.4, Intel chipset, USB 1.1 on moboard).

All went well at first. Then after about a month, when plug in USB
devices almost randomly saw blank screen, restarts, scan the USB
directories, etc. Sometimes plugged in USB devices and device seen, but
no files shown. (When I plug the same devices into the old 1.1 USB ports
they work fine, but slower, so it is not the thumb or the external drive.)

I thought perhaps the PCI USB card drivers were corrupted, so I removed
the card, removed the software (thru control panel), then went into Win
/System32, and renamed all Ali files and a file called OEM19.
Re-started and ran PC thru seveal cycles, then reinstalled the 2.0 PCI
card.

PC (P&P) doesnt detect the card, but I can see it in control panel
hardware, ran the Ali install disk, see all in hardware manager, but now
does not detect any USB devices when plugged in.

Any/all suggestions greatly appreciated. Truly stumped!!!
HH

Uninstall ALL USB (1.1 and 2.0) hubs, ports and controllers
[and USB devices such as printers and scanners] then reboot.
That should get you a clean install of USB. Then reinstall
any USB devices, such as your printer and scanner.