Router

Okay, here I go again. About a year ago I had to get a router for my
daughter and her laptop - it was a nightmare, to the point where i said
"screw it", you can't have one.
Well, she is moving home from college and definitley needs one now.
I have a Gateway computer, Windows XP, She has a Dell laptop with Windows
XP. WHAT brand of router do I get. We tried Dell's and then another and
they were both a piece of junk and we could never keep a connection. Dell
kept saying it was Gateway's fault and vice versa and then they were both
saying it was the cable company's fault. I am on cable modem.
So what suggestions does anyone have for a happy and successful year or more
of router life.
Thank you,

I used a Linksys router for about one year with Time Warner Cable access.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

If you knew half as much as you think you know,

"PattiChati" <PattiChati@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Okay, here I go again. About a year ago I had to get a router for my
> daughter and her laptop - it was a nightmare, to the point where i said
> "screw it", you can't have one.
> Well, she is moving home from college and definitley needs one now.
> I have a Gateway computer, Windows XP, She has a Dell laptop with Windows
> XP. WHAT brand of router do I get. We tried Dell's and then another and
> they were both a piece of junk and we could never keep a connection. Dell
> kept saying it was Gateway's fault and vice versa and then they were both
> saying it was the cable company's fault. I am on cable modem.
> So what suggestions does anyone have for a happy and successful year or
> more of router life.
> Thank you,

Don't worry about any branded of router. Try to run the wizard for Home
Network, when it's done, try to reconfigure the router, sometimes using
address from Internet Explorer : 192.168.0.1 Just check your router manual
for the address.
And then it should be done. I got the same problem a year half ago, but it's
running well even i use 4 more computers (my friend's)

Good luck

Yudi

"PattiChati" <PattiChati@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Okay, here I go again. About a year ago I had to get a router for my
> daughter and her laptop - it was a nightmare, to the point where i said
> "screw it", you can't have one.
> Well, she is moving home from college and definitley needs one now.
> I have a Gateway computer, Windows XP, She has a Dell laptop with Windows
> XP. WHAT brand of router do I get. We tried Dell's and then another and
> they were both a piece of junk and we could never keep a connection. Dell
> kept saying it was Gateway's fault and vice versa and then they were both
> saying it was the cable company's fault. I am on cable modem.
> So what suggestions does anyone have for a happy and successful year or
> more of router life.
> Thank you,

bar

Given that she has a Laptop, I would expect if it is a newer unit, then it
has Wireless built in.

If that is the case buy a wireless router.

Linksys, D-Link, Netcomm all are good brands.

"Michael Kho" wrote:

> Don't worry about any branded of router. Try to run the wizard for Home
> Network, when it's done, try to reconfigure the router, sometimes using
> address from Internet Explorer : 192.168.0.1 Just check your router manual
> for the address.
> And then it should be done. I got the same problem a year half ago, but it's
> running well even i use 4 more computers (my friend's)
>
> Good luck
>
> Yudi
>

> "PattiChati" <PattiChati@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Okay, here I go again. About a year ago I had to get a router for my
> > daughter and her laptop - it was a nightmare, to the point where i said
> > "screw it", you can't have one.
> > Well, she is moving home from college and definitley needs one now.
> > I have a Gateway computer, Windows XP, She has a Dell laptop with Windows
> > XP. WHAT brand of router do I get. We tried Dell's and then another and
> > they were both a piece of junk and we could never keep a connection. Dell
> > kept saying it was Gateway's fault and vice versa and then they were both
> > saying it was the cable company's fault. I am on cable modem.
> > So what suggestions does anyone have for a happy and successful year or
> > more of router life.
> > Thank you,

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

BAR wrote:
> Given that she has a Laptop, I would expect if it is a newer unit, then it
> has Wireless built in.
>
> If that is the case buy a wireless router.
>
> Linksys, D-Link, Netcomm all are good brands.
>
> "Michael Kho" wrote:
>

>>Don't worry about any branded of router. Try to run the wizard for Home
>>Network, when it's done, try to reconfigure the router, sometimes using
>>address from Internet Explorer : 192.168.0.1 Just check your router manual
>>for the address.
>>And then it should be done. I got the same problem a year half ago, but it's
>>running well even i use 4 more computers (my friend's)
>>
>>Good luck
>>
>>Yudi
>>

>>"PattiChati" <PattiChati@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Okay, here I go again. About a year ago I had to get a router for my
>>>daughter and her laptop - it was a nightmare, to the point where i said
>>>"screw it", you can't have one.
>>>Well, she is moving home from college and definitley needs one now.
>>>I have a Gateway computer, Windows XP, She has a Dell laptop with Windows
>>>XP. WHAT brand of router do I get. We tried Dell's and then another and
>>>they were both a piece of junk and we could never keep a connection. Dell
>>>kept saying it was Gateway's fault and vice versa and then they were both
>>>saying it was the cable company's fault. I am on cable modem.
>>>So what suggestions does anyone have for a happy and successful year or
>>>more of router life.
>>>Thank you,

I have a linksys router that works all over the house with a laptop
(Dell 810).

Rick