clayton

Would a 4200RPM harddrive be quieter than a 5400RPM? I ask this question
because I upgraded a Toshiba notebook from a 20GB 4200RPM to a 40GB 5400RPM
drive and noticed it was nosier than the old one, it would just make a
strange 2 second noise every 30 seconds or so and had it replaced twice to
be told that's how they are, I mentioned the older drive didn't make these
noises.

bar

Yes and No.

All depends on the manufacturer.

Generally the better the brand the quieter the drive.

"Clayton" wrote:

> Would a 4200RPM harddrive be quieter than a 5400RPM? I ask this question
> because I upgraded a Toshiba notebook from a 20GB 4200RPM to a 40GB 5400RPM
> drive and noticed it was nosier than the old one, it would just make a
> strange 2 second noise every 30 seconds or so and had it replaced twice to
> be told that's how they are, I mentioned the older drive didn't make these
> noises.

Hi, some laptop HD's actually 'park the head' to conserve power, maybe
that's the click you are hearing....
ChrisC
> Yes and No.
>
> All depends on the manufacturer.
>
> Generally the better the brand the quieter the drive.
>
> "Clayton" wrote:
>
>> Would a 4200RPM harddrive be quieter than a 5400RPM? I ask this question
>> because I upgraded a Toshiba notebook from a 20GB 4200RPM to a 40GB
>> 5400RPM
>> drive and noticed it was nosier than the old one, it would just make a
>> strange 2 second noise every 30 seconds or so and had it replaced twice
>> be told that's how they are, I mentioned the older drive didn't make
>> these
>> noises.

clayton

Maybe it is, what's a good hard drive?