XP SP2 install problems

Mother board: SY-K7V DRAGON Plus!
http://www.soyogroup.com/products/proddesc.php?id=37
Processor: AXDA2700DKV3D (AMD Athlon)
Hard Drive: Seagate 60GB IDE Model ST360021A
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce2 Ti 64MB AGP type of video card.

I have been trying to install WinXP SP2 on the system. I receive the same
symtoms when I use WinXP CD.
The system sees the the Full space of the hard drive.
I have updated the BIOS to the latest release from Soyo.
The WinXP sp2 cd boots from the cd drive (On the secondary IDE channel)
It comes to the point in the install where it wants to format the hard disk.
When I select Quick Format (NTFS) the PC rests. When I select the full
format the PC resets. I have tried very numerous different BIOS settings.
All with the same result.

Additional info:
If I try to install win2k the disk is accessed and formated. The setup
continues, The installation continues to the end. The GUI interface is
displayed (in the setup). However when completely done with the install.
Once the system reboots it resets when it begins to bring up the GUI after
the splash screen is displayed.

Some History:
The CPU fan died in the system about a week ago. I had to replace the CPU as
it had failed. The CPU had a bubble on it. The model of that CPU was:
AX2000DMT3C also an AMD Athlon. Alegedly the current CPU is compatable with
the old one. I did look at the FSB. The numbers are the same. The speed
rating the Mother Board vendor provides seems to indicate it will work.

Most signicantly, the PC was running WinXP while on the old CPU. I do backup
my data so when I replaced the CPU I figured I simply would drop the old
partition and reinstall WinXP SP2. I did not do the original install so I do
not know what if any special things were done. Additionally, when the CPU
was replaced the error code beeps lead me to clear the BIOS. I do not know
the original special if any BIOS settings. Additionally, as I stated I did
flash the BIOS with the most current version.

My questions: How can I tell if the problem is a slightly incompatablity
between the new processor and the old processor?

Additionally how can I tell what is failing? How can I see XP error codes
when the thing fails during the install? Any other advice would be helpful.

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Last time I had problems like this it was down to the memory. In your case
there are two possible ideas that come to mind, either the memory has
developed a fault, or (and more likely) when you cleared the BIOS settings
it went back to a default setting that is not full compatible with your
setup.
You might like to cheack and see if you can find a recommended set of memory
settings for the motherboard, memory and processor by trawling the web.
No assurances that this will sole your problems, so
Good luck!
Richard

"Oxnard" <shankeypNO_SPAM@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Mother board: SY-K7V DRAGON Plus!
> http://www.soyogroup.com/products/proddesc.php?id=37
> Processor: AXDA2700DKV3D (AMD Athlon)
> Hard Drive: Seagate 60GB IDE Model ST360021A
> Video Card: Nvidia GeForce2 Ti 64MB AGP type of video card.
>
> I have been trying to install WinXP SP2 on the system. I receive the same
> symtoms when I use WinXP CD.
> The system sees the the Full space of the hard drive.
> I have updated the BIOS to the latest release from Soyo.
> The WinXP sp2 cd boots from the cd drive (On the secondary IDE channel)
> It comes to the point in the install where it wants to format the hard
> disk. When I select Quick Format (NTFS) the PC rests. When I select the
> full format the PC resets. I have tried very numerous different BIOS
> settings. All with the same result.
>
> Additional info:
> If I try to install win2k the disk is accessed and formated. The setup
> continues, The installation continues to the end. The GUI interface is
> displayed (in the setup). However when completely done with the install.
> Once the system reboots it resets when it begins to bring up the GUI after
> the splash screen is displayed.
>

> Some History:
> The CPU fan died in the system about a week ago. I had to replace the CPU
> as it had failed. The CPU had a bubble on it. The model of that CPU was:
> AX2000DMT3C also an AMD Athlon. Alegedly the current CPU is compatable
> with the old one. I did look at the FSB. The numbers are the same. The
> speed rating the Mother Board vendor provides seems to indicate it will
> work.
>
> Most signicantly, the PC was running WinXP while on the old CPU. I do
> backup my data so when I replaced the CPU I figured I simply would drop
> the old partition and reinstall WinXP SP2. I did not do the original
> install so I do not know what if any special things were done.
> Additionally, when the CPU was replaced the error code beeps lead me to
> clear the BIOS. I do not know the original special if any BIOS settings.
> Additionally, as I stated I did flash the BIOS with the most current
> version.
>
> My questions: How can I tell if the problem is a slightly incompatablity
> between the new processor and the old processor?
>
> Additionally how can I tell what is failing? How can I see XP error codes
> when the thing fails during the install? Any other advice would be
> helpful.

are your vga settings correct in bios? I had similar problems, changed
this setting and eureka!
Fibs