Hard Disk problem Invalid Signature in partition table

Hi

I rebooted my machine today and my data drive (2nd NTFS drive and not
bootable) did not show up in My Computer.

Using the Disk Manager it reported that the drive (Maxtor 200GB) was
Not Initialized and Unallocated. I ran Norton Disc Doctor which
reported "Invalid signature in partition table" immediatelyand asked
me if I wanted to correct this, as I was unsure if it would wipe my
data I said no.

I've had a similar problem before so I ran GetBackNTFS which duly
scanned the hard drive and picked up the files on the disk, when I got
to the screen where it asked me to choose a file system it was blank
and no files were listed for me to select so I am stuck.

Ironically I have just installed a third hard drive for backup up and
now this happens, any help on getting my data back would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

Andy
2 answers Last reply
More about hard disk problem invalid signature partition table

    "Andy" <andy.boyle@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I rebooted my machine today and my data drive (2nd NTFS drive and not
    > bootable) did not show up in My Computer.
    >
    > Using the Disk Manager it reported that the drive (Maxtor 200GB) was
    > Not Initialized and Unallocated. I ran Norton Disc Doctor which
    > reported "Invalid signature in partition table" immediatelyand asked
    > me if I wanted to correct this, as I was unsure if it would wipe my
    > data I said no.
    >
    > I've had a similar problem before so I ran GetBackNTFS which duly
    > scanned the hard drive and picked up the files on the disk, when I got
    > to the screen where it asked me to choose a file system it was blank
    > and no files were listed for me to select so I am stuck.
    >
    > Ironically I have just installed a third hard drive for backup up and
    > now this happens, any help on getting my data back would be greatly
    > appreciated.

    those 80 wire cables are *very* fragile...
    you might have damaged one of them when you added the new drive...

    before you attempt any data recovery...
    replace the ide cable on the drive you cannot read

    andy.boyle@gmail.com (Andy) wrote in message news:<5c7e7f8a.0504030854.51e5c0bd@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi
    >
    > I rebooted my machine today and my data drive (2nd NTFS drive and not
    > bootable) did not show up in My Computer.
    >
    > Using the Disk Manager it reported that the drive (Maxtor 200GB) was
    > Not Initialized and Unallocated. I ran Norton Disc Doctor which
    > reported "Invalid signature in partition table" immediatelyand asked
    > me if I wanted to correct this, as I was unsure if it would wipe my
    > data I said no.
    >
    > I've had a similar problem before so I ran GetBackNTFS which duly
    > scanned the hard drive and picked up the files on the disk, when I got
    > to the screen where it asked me to choose a file system it was blank
    > and no files were listed for me to select so I am stuck.
    >
    > Ironically I have just installed a third hard drive for backup up and
    > now this happens, any help on getting my data back would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Andy

    And if the cable is ok then you could try some free recovery software
    http://www.hddrecovery.com.au/HDD_Tool_Box.htm or try R Studio
    http://www.hddrecovery.com.au/HDD_R_Studio.htm if you feel more
    comfortable with commercial software.

    good hunting