SB51G problem

I'm having problems building an SB51G system. Right now when I plug
in just the CPU and memory, I get nothing on the VGA port, though the
blue light on the front comes on and the cpu fans spin. If I plug in
a DVD and HD, I get the same symptoms, though the DVD light will come
on and the disk will spin, and it appears that the HD is spinning. HD
and DVD work on an old PC.

I already RMA'd the CPU once thinking that was the problem.

I've tried different memory sticks, but I don't have another CPU to
try. One web site suggested powering up with the cpu in, but without
the heat sink and fan, to see if the CPU gets hot. The site said if
it doesn't get hot, something is wrong. Well, mine didn't get hot, so
I guess something is wrong, but I'd be surprised if I really received
2 bad cpu's.

Thanks,
Sean

sysinfo
sb51g barebones system
intel celeron d, 478, 2.66 Ghz, 533 Mhz FSB, 256KB L2 cache
memory: have tied both kingston 512 MB and hynix 512 MB

Clear the cmos using the clear cmos jumper. Then, with the computer
unplugged, remove the battery and leave it for a few minutes just to be
sure. Then put the battery in and try again. I have had this fix two or
three motherboard problems when building systems or replacing motherboards.
This is usually in the troubleshooting section of the motherboard manual.
My guess, is that when testing the motherboards they use different memory or
processor and upon powering up with a different processor and memory when
YOU build it, something fails to auto negotiate the new stuff. JUST A GUESS
ON THAT THEORY, but the process often works. Please let us know if that was
the case.

--Dan

"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<0cAWc.10685$P92.8952@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>...
> Clear the cmos using the clear cmos jumper. Then, with the computer
> unplugged, remove the battery and leave it for a few minutes just to be
> sure. Then put the battery in and try again. I have had this fix two or
> three motherboard problems when building systems or replacing motherboards.
> This is usually in the troubleshooting section of the motherboard manual.
> My guess, is that when testing the motherboards they use different memory or
> processor and upon powering up with a different processor and memory when
> YOU build it, something fails to auto negotiate the new stuff. JUST A GUESS
> ON THAT THEORY, but the process often works. Please let us know if that was
> the case.

I had forgotten to mention that I cleared the CMOS before, but I went
ahead and did it again, and took out the battery as you suggested, but
I'm getting the same results. :-(

One thing I did notice and had somehow missed before, is that the cpu
support page goes up to 2.6 Ghz Celeron, while I actually have a 2.66.
I wonder if that could cause the problem?

/Sean

Could be the CPU speed I guess, got another CPU laying around or a desktop
PC you can take apart? It seems like it would work but you never know until
you try it.

> One thing I did notice and had somehow missed before, is that the cpu
> support page goes up to 2.6 Ghz Celeron, while I actually have a 2.66.
> I wonder if that could cause the problem?
>
> /Sean

"Sean Butler" <seanb724@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I had forgotten to mention that I cleared the CMOS before, but I went
> ahead and did it again, and took out the battery as you suggested, but
> I'm getting the same results. :-(
>
> One thing I did notice and had somehow missed before, is that the cpu
> support page goes up to 2.6 Ghz Celeron, while I actually have a 2.66.
> I wonder if that could cause the problem?
>
> /Sean

I believe that would be one of the new CeleronDs. Check for a BIOS update.

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/processors/celeron_D/index.htm?iid=ipp_browse+featureprocess_celerond&

They also have the 533Mhz FSB.
www.coribright.com

> > One thing I did notice and had somehow missed before, is that the cpu
> > support page goes up to 2.6 Ghz Celeron, while I actually have a 2.66.
> > I wonder if that could cause the problem?
> >
> > /Sean
>
> I believe that would be one of the new CeleronDs. Check for a BIOS update.
>
> http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/processors/celeron_D/index.htm?iid=ipp_browse+featureprocess_celerond&
>
> They also have the 533Mhz FSB.

Turns out the SB51G does not support the Celeron D, which is not
something that is obvious from the CPU support list. At least not to
me. I got a P4 that is supported, and am now installing the OS.

/Sean