AK31 v2 1.4 ATHLON Posts, 2100+XP Won't

Hi. I'm new to upgrading PC's and need some help. Hopefully someone
will know. Please!

I have just purchaced some PC upgrade parts from newegg:

2 sticks of DDRAM 512MB PMI 64X64 184P PC2100

1 2100+ XP 1.73 ATHLON TBRED

Current CPU is an ATHLON 1.4 - Been running since 8/2001 with no
problems

Upgraded vid card a few months ago with a Sapphire ATI 9600XT. Works
fine, no prob, set to AGP 4X. Has a Lite ON DVD player and a Yamaha
CD-RW. Power supply is a name brand 350W.

My motherboard, an AK31 v2, has the BIOS ver AK31S20P (the most
current according to shuttle
ftp://ftp.shuttle.com/BIOS/ak31/V2.x/readmeak31v2x.htm ).

The system boots fine with the original CPU, and new ram posts. Have
RAM in slots 1 and 2.

Swapped CPU and system will not POST. Green light is on board, all
fans fire up, HDD light comes on but no video.

Swap back in old CPU and everything comes up nice. POST and then OS
fires up.

Obviously being a n00b I'm missing a step or a bad CPU? Any help
appreciated.

Is PS good enough? I read swapping RAM into slots 1 and 4 is "better"
setup than 1 and 2. Also, have not cleared CMOS at this point and was
hoping to avoid it because I am (perhaps wrongly) that the BIOS update
would be lost when I clear the CMOS, and require a reflash?

Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about ak31 athlon posts 2100
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    On 25 Aug 2004 07:36:14 -0700, jimsfastls1@yahoo.com (Jimmy) wrote:

    >Hi. I'm new to upgrading PC's and need some help. Hopefully someone
    >will know. Please!
    >
    >I have just purchaced some PC upgrade parts from newegg:
    >
    >2 sticks of DDRAM 512MB PMI 64X64 184P PC2100
    >
    >1 2100+ XP 1.73 ATHLON TBRED
    >
    >Current CPU is an ATHLON 1.4 - Been running since 8/2001 with no
    >problems
    >
    >Upgraded vid card a few months ago with a Sapphire ATI 9600XT. Works
    >fine, no prob, set to AGP 4X. Has a Lite ON DVD player and a Yamaha
    >CD-RW. Power supply is a name brand 350W.
    >
    >My motherboard, an AK31 v2, has the BIOS ver AK31S20P (the most
    >current according to shuttle
    >ftp://ftp.shuttle.com/BIOS/ak31/V2.x/readmeak31v2x.htm ).
    >
    >The system boots fine with the original CPU, and new ram posts. Have
    >RAM in slots 1 and 2.
    >
    >Swapped CPU and system will not POST. Green light is on board, all
    >fans fire up, HDD light comes on but no video.
    >
    >Swap back in old CPU and everything comes up nice. POST and then OS
    >fires up.
    >
    >Obviously being a n00b I'm missing a step or a bad CPU? Any help
    >appreciated.
    >
    >Is PS good enough? I read swapping RAM into slots 1 and 4 is "better"
    >setup than 1 and 2. Also, have not cleared CMOS at this point and was
    >hoping to avoid it because I am (perhaps wrongly) that the BIOS update
    >would be lost when I clear the CMOS, and require a reflash?
    >
    >Thanks.

    It is safe for you to clear the CMOS, you won't loose the update, and
    you should then be able to enter setup.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Thanks, Paul.

    I made a dumb move. Purchaced a thoroughbred CPU rather than a palamino.
    This is this issue (I think) why it won't POST. Was going to attempt to
    lower the voltage on the CPU and re-install the thoroughbred. Looks like
    some folsk on the net have gotten thoroughbreds to work on AK31's but no
    specific soloution other than trial and error. Shuttles site says
    specifically Palimino (.18 micro)

    Time for a new mobo I guess....got my moneys worth out of this shuttle!

    "Jimmy" <jimsfastls1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi. I'm new to upgrading PC's and need some help. Hopefully someone
    > will know. Please!
    >
    > I have just purchaced some PC upgrade parts from newegg:
    >
    > 2 sticks of DDRAM 512MB PMI 64X64 184P PC2100
    >
    > 1 2100+ XP 1.73 ATHLON TBRED
    >
    > Current CPU is an ATHLON 1.4 - Been running since 8/2001 with no
    > problems
    >
    > Upgraded vid card a few months ago with a Sapphire ATI 9600XT. Works
    > fine, no prob, set to AGP 4X. Has a Lite ON DVD player and a Yamaha
    > CD-RW. Power supply is a name brand 350W.
    >
    > My motherboard, an AK31 v2, has the BIOS ver AK31S20P (the most
    > current according to shuttle
    > ftp://ftp.shuttle.com/BIOS/ak31/V2.x/readmeak31v2x.htm ).
    >
    > The system boots fine with the original CPU, and new ram posts. Have
    > RAM in slots 1 and 2.
    >
    > Swapped CPU and system will not POST. Green light is on board, all
    > fans fire up, HDD light comes on but no video.
    >
    > Swap back in old CPU and everything comes up nice. POST and then OS
    > fires up.
    >
    > Obviously being a n00b I'm missing a step or a bad CPU? Any help
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Is PS good enough? I read swapping RAM into slots 1 and 4 is "better"
    > setup than 1 and 2. Also, have not cleared CMOS at this point and was
    > hoping to avoid it because I am (perhaps wrongly) that the BIOS update
    > would be lost when I clear the CMOS, and require a reflash?
    >
    > Thanks.

Motherboards