From: "JP" <jpurvisno_spam@telus.net>
Newsgroups: comp.periphs.printers
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 7:04 PM
Subject: Network Printing - Win98 & Lexmark Optra - directly to the IP
address

> I just fired this question off to comp.networks and I probably should have
> come here first.
>
> Here's the Problem...
>
> I'm trying to get a WIN98 PC to connect directly to the IP address of a
> networked printer.
> The printer is a Lexmark Optra R.
> From my XP boxes there is no problem.
>
> When I run Lexmark's Print Server Setup Utility, I get the notification
> "Communication failure with the network print server"
>
> I have tried disabling Bootp and reenabling it through the printer control
> panel.
> My printer has no means to disable DHCP and I can't remember what the
other
> protocol was but it's not there either.
>
> At one point I got a cryptic error message consisting of three numbers .
..
> 1004
> 3000
> 4000
> I have no idea what they mean.
>
> Lexmark provides a DOS utility to set IP numbers etc. and it also allows
the
> increasing of timeout settings.
> I increased the Connection Timeout to 8 sec from 4 and the Transmission
> timeout to 16.
>
> I went into ""Win.ini and deleted references to prevous attempts at
> installing ports.
>
> From Printer Properties "Details" there is a Port Settings button.
> After installing the Lexmark software . . . ( Lexmark_Network_en.exe and
> netwn.exe) I finally avoided Window's "nothing to configure" message" and
> was taken to Lexmark screen called "Print Server Settings" .
>
> This screen showed my correct MAC address for the printer and the
> information tab seemed complete except that there was no entry beside
"Host
> Name".
> There was also a button called "reset print server" which when pushed
caused
> the printer to go offline so I know its communicating.
>
> The SNMP traps button took me to a screen where again the host name was
not
> entered but where there were two trap destinations listed . . . Listed As
..
> . .
> 00: Undefined
> 01:Undefined
>
> Well, that's about all the pertinent information I can think of.
> I would be grateful for some suggestions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> JP

1 answer Last reply
More about repost network printing win98 lexmark optra direc

    Hi,

    Have a look at the ACITS LPR software available from the University of Texas
    on http://www.utexas.edu/academic/otl/software/lpr/ . I've used it to
    connect to Lexmark MarkNet Pro print servers, as well as the Lexmark
    MarkVision software.

    Regards
    Barry

Printers Lexmark Peripherals