  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
Share
August 30, 2004 8:11:03 AM

Hi everyone. Having owned my Shuttle for the past year, I figured
that it was time to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version. Since
deciding to do this, I've run into a number of problems that I cant
seem to get around.

First of all, I cant tell what version BIOS I'm currently running. I
know that the version number is supposed to be displayed on the Bootup
Memory Test screen (the screen with the Energy Star), but this screen
zips by so quickly that I can never pause it in time to get the
version number. Does anyone know of a way to pause the bootup process
and go through it step-by-step so I can see the version I have?

I've tried using F8 for the Step-by-Step boot, but that just lets the
system rip through the test and config screens before stopping at a
DOS command screen. I still don't get to see any information
displayed on those two screens.

Secondly, how do I know which version of Shuttle I have? I know that
my case/mobo combination is the SB61G2, but how can I find out if it's
the base version or Version 3? I don't want to accidentally install
the wrong BIOS and thereby screw up my computer.

Thank you for any help with these problems.

More about : shuttle bios upgrade blues

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 30, 2004 7:47:20 PM

On 30 Aug 2004 04:11:03 -0700, cc.jones2@verizon.net (Chris) wrote:

>Hi everyone. Having owned my Shuttle for the past year, I figured
>that it was time to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version. Since
>deciding to do this, I've run into a number of problems that I cant
>seem to get around.

What is new in the new BIOS? Do you have any trouble with your PC?
Don't fix anything that ain't broken.

Personally I don't upgrade the BIOS "for fun", I need to feel that the
new BIOS will give me an advantage, so if I don't have any
compatibility, stability or other problems, and the BIOS don't seem to
give me new features I need, I don't upgrade. In theory, a new BIOS
might give you problems....

>First of all, I cant tell what version BIOS I'm currently running. I
>know that the version number is supposed to be displayed on the Bootup
>Memory Test screen (the screen with the Energy Star), but this screen
>zips by so quickly that I can never pause it in time to get the
>version number. Does anyone know of a way to pause the bootup process
>and go through it step-by-step so I can see the version I have?

Use the Pause-key, then another key to continue, use Pause-key again
etc.

Also, the software for upgrading the BIOS will show the old version.

>Secondly, how do I know which version of Shuttle I have? I know that
>my case/mobo combination is the SB61G2, but how can I find out if it's
>the base version or Version 3? I don't want to accidentally install
>the wrong BIOS and thereby screw up my computer.

V3 is just a few months old, so if you have had your for a while, it's
an earlier version. I think you also can look at the code on the back.
Aslo, the first SB61G2's had 200W PSU, while the V3 has 250W SilentX
PSU.

--
Clas Mehus
Dataguiden : http://www.pcworld.no/dataguiden/

Chris

1. When your PC starts hit DEL or ESC key or whatever is required by your
M/Board to
allow you to boot into Bios setup. There you should find a quick boot
option you can disable.

2. The support pages of www.Shuttle.com/hq/ are very helpful in helping you
to identify
all other version info (if needed) -
http://www.shuttle.com/hq/support/download/download.asp
and have very clear instructions on how to flash the Bios.

Rob

"Chris" <cc.jones2@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hi everyone. Having owned my Shuttle for the past year, I figured
> that it was time to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version. Since
> deciding to do this, I've run into a number of problems that I cant
> seem to get around.
>
> First of all, I cant tell what version BIOS I'm currently running. I
> know that the version number is supposed to be displayed on the Bootup
> Memory Test screen (the screen with the Energy Star), but this screen
> zips by so quickly that I can never pause it in time to get the
> version number. Does anyone know of a way to pause the bootup process
> and go through it step-by-step so I can see the version I have?
>
> I've tried using F8 for the Step-by-Step boot, but that just lets the
> system rip through the test and config screens before stopping at a
> DOS command screen. I still don't get to see any information
> displayed on those two screens.
>
> Secondly, how do I know which version of Shuttle I have? I know that
> my case/mobo combination is the SB61G2, but how can I find out if it's
> the base version or Version 3? I don't want to accidentally install
> the wrong BIOS and thereby screw up my computer.
>
> Thank you for any help with these problems.
Related resources
September 4, 2004 8:30:23 AM

"Chris" <cc.jones2@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hi everyone. Having owned my Shuttle for the past year, I figured
> that it was time to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version. Since
> deciding to do this, I've run into a number of problems that I cant
> seem to get around.
>
> First of all, I cant tell what version BIOS I'm currently running. I
> know that the version number is supposed to be displayed on the Bootup
> Memory Test screen (the screen with the Energy Star), but this screen
> zips by so quickly that I can never pause it in time to get the
> version number. Does anyone know of a way to pause the bootup process
> and go through it step-by-step so I can see the version I have?
>
> I've tried using F8 for the Step-by-Step boot, but that just lets the
> system rip through the test and config screens before stopping at a
> DOS command screen. I still don't get to see any information
> displayed on those two screens.
>
> Secondly, how do I know which version of Shuttle I have? I know that
> my case/mobo combination is the SB61G2, but how can I find out if it's
> the base version or Version 3? I don't want to accidentally install
> the wrong BIOS and thereby screw up my computer.
>
> Thank you for any help with these problems.

If you use WinXP, go to Start > Run. Type in msinfo32. Under system
summary, you will see the BIOS Version/Date.

Cheers
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 5, 2004 1:04:57 AM

Chris wrote:
> Hi everyone. Having owned my Shuttle for the past year, I figured
> that it was time to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version. Since
> deciding to do this, I've run into a number of problems that I cant
> seem to get around.
>
> First of all, I cant tell what version BIOS I'm currently running. I
> know that the version number is supposed to be displayed on the Bootup
> Memory Test screen (the screen with the Energy Star), but this screen
> zips by so quickly that I can never pause it in time to get the
> version number. Does anyone know of a way to pause the bootup process
> and go through it step-by-step so I can see the version I have?
>
> I've tried using F8 for the Step-by-Step boot, but that just lets the
> system rip through the test and config screens before stopping at a
> DOS command screen. I still don't get to see any information
> displayed on those two screens.
>
> Secondly, how do I know which version of Shuttle I have? I know that
> my case/mobo combination is the SB61G2, but how can I find out if it's
> the base version or Version 3? I don't want to accidentally install
> the wrong BIOS and thereby screw up my computer.
>
> Thank you for any help with these problems.

Boot. first you get the video card bios screen, then you get your bios
screen - click PAUSE before it gets a chance to flick to the next screen.
There is a bunch of info about your bios hardware chip and your bios
software (flash) version.

I think you will have to pull the mobo and look at it to get the mobo
version number.
hth
Kristi
--
Shuttle AN35N Ultra, XP2600Bart, 512mb, GeF4Ti4200, WinXP Pro SP2
* * *