Shuttle BIOS upgrade blues

Hi everyone. Having owned my Shuttle for the past year, I figured
that it was time to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version. Since
deciding to do this, I've run into a number of problems that I cant
seem to get around.

First of all, I cant tell what version BIOS I'm currently running. I
know that the version number is supposed to be displayed on the Bootup
Memory Test screen (the screen with the Energy Star), but this screen
zips by so quickly that I can never pause it in time to get the
version number. Does anyone know of a way to pause the bootup process
and go through it step-by-step so I can see the version I have?

I've tried using F8 for the Step-by-Step boot, but that just lets the
system rip through the test and config screens before stopping at a
DOS command screen. I still don't get to see any information
displayed on those two screens.

Secondly, how do I know which version of Shuttle I have? I know that
my case/mobo combination is the SB61G2, but how can I find out if it's
the base version or Version 3? I don't want to accidentally install
the wrong BIOS and thereby screw up my computer.

Thank you for any help with these problems.
4 answers Last reply
More about shuttle bios upgrade blues
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    On 30 Aug 2004 04:11:03 -0700, cc.jones2@verizon.net (Chris) wrote:

    >Hi everyone. Having owned my Shuttle for the past year, I figured
    >that it was time to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version. Since
    >deciding to do this, I've run into a number of problems that I cant
    >seem to get around.

    What is new in the new BIOS? Do you have any trouble with your PC?
    Don't fix anything that ain't broken.

    Personally I don't upgrade the BIOS "for fun", I need to feel that the
    new BIOS will give me an advantage, so if I don't have any
    compatibility, stability or other problems, and the BIOS don't seem to
    give me new features I need, I don't upgrade. In theory, a new BIOS
    might give you problems....

    >First of all, I cant tell what version BIOS I'm currently running. I
    >know that the version number is supposed to be displayed on the Bootup
    >Memory Test screen (the screen with the Energy Star), but this screen
    >zips by so quickly that I can never pause it in time to get the
    >version number. Does anyone know of a way to pause the bootup process
    >and go through it step-by-step so I can see the version I have?

    Use the Pause-key, then another key to continue, use Pause-key again
    etc.

    Also, the software for upgrading the BIOS will show the old version.

    >Secondly, how do I know which version of Shuttle I have? I know that
    >my case/mobo combination is the SB61G2, but how can I find out if it's
    >the base version or Version 3? I don't want to accidentally install
    >the wrong BIOS and thereby screw up my computer.

    V3 is just a few months old, so if you have had your for a while, it's
    an earlier version. I think you also can look at the code on the back.
    Aslo, the first SB61G2's had 200W PSU, while the V3 has 250W SilentX
    PSU.

    --
    Clas Mehus
    Dataguiden : http://www.pcworld.no/dataguiden/

    Chris

    1. When your PC starts hit DEL or ESC key or whatever is required by your
    M/Board to
    allow you to boot into Bios setup. There you should find a quick boot
    option you can disable.

    2. The support pages of www.Shuttle.com/hq/ are very helpful in helping you
    to identify
    all other version info (if needed) -
    http://www.shuttle.com/hq/support/download/download.asp
    and have very clear instructions on how to flash the Bios.

    Rob

    "Chris" <cc.jones2@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone. Having owned my Shuttle for the past year, I figured
    > that it was time to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version. Since
    > deciding to do this, I've run into a number of problems that I cant
    > seem to get around.
    >
    > First of all, I cant tell what version BIOS I'm currently running. I
    > know that the version number is supposed to be displayed on the Bootup
    > Memory Test screen (the screen with the Energy Star), but this screen
    > zips by so quickly that I can never pause it in time to get the
    > version number. Does anyone know of a way to pause the bootup process
    > and go through it step-by-step so I can see the version I have?
    >
    > I've tried using F8 for the Step-by-Step boot, but that just lets the
    > system rip through the test and config screens before stopping at a
    > DOS command screen. I still don't get to see any information
    > displayed on those two screens.
    >
    > Secondly, how do I know which version of Shuttle I have? I know that
    > my case/mobo combination is the SB61G2, but how can I find out if it's
    > the base version or Version 3? I don't want to accidentally install
    > the wrong BIOS and thereby screw up my computer.
    >
    > Thank you for any help with these problems.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    "Chris" <cc.jones2@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone. Having owned my Shuttle for the past year, I figured
    > that it was time to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version. Since
    > deciding to do this, I've run into a number of problems that I cant
    > seem to get around.
    >
    > First of all, I cant tell what version BIOS I'm currently running. I
    > know that the version number is supposed to be displayed on the Bootup
    > Memory Test screen (the screen with the Energy Star), but this screen
    > zips by so quickly that I can never pause it in time to get the
    > version number. Does anyone know of a way to pause the bootup process
    > and go through it step-by-step so I can see the version I have?
    >
    > I've tried using F8 for the Step-by-Step boot, but that just lets the
    > system rip through the test and config screens before stopping at a
    > DOS command screen. I still don't get to see any information
    > displayed on those two screens.
    >
    > Secondly, how do I know which version of Shuttle I have? I know that
    > my case/mobo combination is the SB61G2, but how can I find out if it's
    > the base version or Version 3? I don't want to accidentally install
    > the wrong BIOS and thereby screw up my computer.
    >
    > Thank you for any help with these problems.

    If you use WinXP, go to Start > Run. Type in msinfo32. Under system
    summary, you will see the BIOS Version/Date.

    Cheers
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Chris wrote:
    > Hi everyone. Having owned my Shuttle for the past year, I figured
    > that it was time to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version. Since
    > deciding to do this, I've run into a number of problems that I cant
    > seem to get around.
    >
    > First of all, I cant tell what version BIOS I'm currently running. I
    > know that the version number is supposed to be displayed on the Bootup
    > Memory Test screen (the screen with the Energy Star), but this screen
    > zips by so quickly that I can never pause it in time to get the
    > version number. Does anyone know of a way to pause the bootup process
    > and go through it step-by-step so I can see the version I have?
    >
    > I've tried using F8 for the Step-by-Step boot, but that just lets the
    > system rip through the test and config screens before stopping at a
    > DOS command screen. I still don't get to see any information
    > displayed on those two screens.
    >
    > Secondly, how do I know which version of Shuttle I have? I know that
    > my case/mobo combination is the SB61G2, but how can I find out if it's
    > the base version or Version 3? I don't want to accidentally install
    > the wrong BIOS and thereby screw up my computer.
    >
    > Thank you for any help with these problems.

    Boot. first you get the video card bios screen, then you get your bios
    screen - click PAUSE before it gets a chance to flick to the next screen.
    There is a bunch of info about your bios hardware chip and your bios
    software (flash) version.

    I think you will have to pull the mobo and look at it to get the mobo
    version number.
    hth
    Kristi
    --
    Shuttle AN35N Ultra, XP2600Bart, 512mb, GeF4Ti4200, WinXP Pro SP2
    * * *

Shuttle BIOS Motherboards