Shuttle SB61G2 V2 bios upgrade to fb61s03e.bin - problems

Tags:
  • Shuttle
  • BIOS
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
September 1, 2004 1:38:33 AM

I bought Shuttle SB61G2 V2 few weeks ago.
Installed :

Setup A:

- Pentium 4 2.80C Ghz Northwood (130 nm) - CPU Revision 1B
- installed CD-DVD combo
- installed Windows98 first partition
- installed Windows2000 second partition
Watched DVD movies on Windows98, happy for a week.

Then I thought to upgrade my BIOS from :

http://www.shuttle.com/hq/support/download/dwn2.asp?mod...

upgraded BIOS to fb61s03e.bin - SB61G2 (FB61V1.x,V2.x) , 6/17/2004
( Factory installed had a date xx/xx/2003 which I did not take a
backup - mistake - which woked well in my above setup A.)

After flashing the BIOS fb61s03e.bin from shuttle site, now Windows98
does not recognize my CD ROM when boot up.

I also deleted Windows2000, when re-installing now Windows2000 Halts
on re-boot.

Shuttle has intel-865G chipset - is this a Intel-865 microcode update
issue?
Since factory installed (older) BIOS worked , I want to get the old
BIOS but I do not know how. ( Cleared CMOS setting (JP1) to get
factory -set but it loads June-2004 version of BIOS which has the same
problem).

Now Windows98 boots but does not recognize CD,
Unable to install W2k - halts on reboot

- I know my hardware is ok since I checked by installing SUSE LINUX
9.1 - it works - CD-is recognized.

But I need Windows98 and Windows2000 to work correctly. Any help or
suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks, -Reader

More about : shuttle sb61g2 bios upgrade fb61s03e bin problems

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 1, 2004 9:59:32 PM

reader wrote:

> Since factory installed (older) BIOS worked , I want to get the old
> BIOS but I do not know how. ( Cleared CMOS setting (JP1) to get
> factory -set but it loads June-2004 version of BIOS which has the same
> problem).
>
> Now Windows98 boots but does not recognize CD,
> Unable to install W2k - halts on reboot
>
> - I know my hardware is ok since I checked by installing SUSE LINUX
> 9.1 - it works - CD-is recognized.
>
> But I need Windows98 and Windows2000 to work correctly. Any help or
> suggestion is appreciated.
>
> Thanks, -Reader

Direct access to all BIOS-versions:

ftp://ftp.shuttle.com/BIOS/fb61/fb61v1/
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 2, 2004 1:30:07 AM

Arild Bjørk <abjork@online-takeaway.no> wrote in message news:<2pmcuiFmp2vaU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> reader wrote:

Thanks a lot for the link.

I flashed the older BIOS (fb61s038.bin) and my Windows98 is able to
access the CD-drive.

Also noticed the latest BIOS (fb61s03e.bin) has enabled few of the
additional IDE features. After disbling the unwanted IDE features in
BIOS, just to satisfy Win98, now my Win98 is able to see CD-drive with
the latest BIOS (fb61s03e.bin).

Thanks
!