Weird TCP/IP network problems--connected yet not

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip (More info?)

I have an HP laptop with WinXP Home (SP1 but I'm downloading SP2) on
our workgroup that had been working fine for months, but has suddenly
sprouted an odd networking problem.

It can "see" all the other PC's on the workgroup, but all of a sudden
it can't see the Linux fileserver. The reason I believe it's the fault
of the laptop, is that none of the other 15 PC's on the workgroup is
having a problem connecting to the Linux box, AND the laptop is showing
some other unusual problems.

It has a standard, on-board "Local Area Connection" NIC, and a "1394
Connection". (I think that's always been disabled.) When I "ipconfig
/all" I get the main NIC's info (although not the 1394, even when it's
enabled.) But if I "ipconfig /renew" I get:
"The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for
this operation."
Even though it's online, on the 'net, and connecting to other PC's.

I've tried cold booting (unplugged AC, battery, and even CAT-5 cable
for a minute.) I've "repaired" the connection, and it gives the
standard sucessful repair message. I've checked all the TCP/IP settings
and all is fine.

(By not "seeing" the fileserver, I mean not only can I not connect to
any of the shares the other Windows XP PC's can connect to, I can't
even ping its IP address.)

Any ideas? What else can I do to troubleshoot?

Thanks for any help!
Liam
4 answers Last reply
More about weird network problems connected
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip (More info?)

    It sounds like the needed protocol cannot "bind" to the NIC. One
    complication can be that more than one protocol may be in use. Usually I'd
    try to get things to work by disconnecting the NIC from the LAN. Then,
    remove all protocols. Reboot, and install only those needed. (usually TCP/IP
    and whatever else is needed for sharing. Sometimes things work better if a
    reboot is done between each protocol install.

    <news@celticbear.com> wrote in message
    >I have an HP laptop with WinXP Home (SP1 but I'm downloading SP2) on
    > our workgroup that had been working fine for months, but has suddenly
    > sprouted an odd networking problem.
    >
    > It can "see" all the other PC's on the workgroup, but all of a sudden
    > it can't see the Linux fileserver. The reason I believe it's the fault
    > of the laptop, is that none of the other 15 PC's on the workgroup is
    > having a problem connecting to the Linux box, AND the laptop is showing
    > some other unusual problems.
    >
    > It has a standard, on-board "Local Area Connection" NIC, and a "1394
    > Connection". (I think that's always been disabled.) When I "ipconfig
    > /all" I get the main NIC's info (although not the 1394, even when it's
    > enabled.) But if I "ipconfig /renew" I get:
    > "The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for
    > this operation."
    > Even though it's online, on the 'net, and connecting to other PC's.
    >
    > I've tried cold booting (unplugged AC, battery, and even CAT-5 cable
    > for a minute.) I've "repaired" the connection, and it gives the
    > standard sucessful repair message. I've checked all the TCP/IP settings
    > and all is fine.
    >
    > (By not "seeing" the fileserver, I mean not only can I not connect to
    > any of the shares the other Windows XP PC's can connect to, I can't
    > even ping its IP address.)
    >
    > Any ideas? What else can I do to troubleshoot?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    > Liam

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip (More info?)

    Brian McMullen wrote:
    > For starters, don;t worry about the 1394 connection. Thats for a
    firewire
    > device.
    > Is the linux box running samba?
    > -Brian

    Ah, OK. Did not know that.
    And of course, as I have 15 other Windows PC's that see and use the
    Linux fileserver without a problem. It's just this one laptop that
    suddenly stopped being able to.
    Someone else thought it might be a protocol issue....
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip (More info?)

    Chuck wrote:
    > It sounds like the needed protocol cannot "bind" to the NIC. One
    > complication can be that more than one protocol may be in use.
    Usually I'd
    > try to get things to work by disconnecting the NIC from the LAN.
    Then,
    > remove all protocols. Reboot, and install only those needed. (usually
    TCP/IP
    > and whatever else is needed for sharing. Sometimes things work better
    if a
    > reboot is done between each protocol install.

    Well, here are the protocols it has listed:

    Client for M.S. Networks
    File and Printer Sharing for M.S. Networks
    QoS Packet Scheduler (I have no idea what that one is)
    TCP/IP

    I don't know about that 3rd one, but the other three are needed. Think
    I should try removing them and reinstalling them?
    If it's a corrupt file or reg setting, won't Windows just reuse the
    same files and reg settings?

    Thanks for any advice!
    Liam
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip (More info?)

    For starters, don;t worry about the 1394 connection. Thats for a firewire
    device.
    Is the linux box running samba?
    -Brian
    <news@celticbear.com> wrote in message
    >I have an HP laptop with WinXP Home (SP1 but I'm downloading SP2) on
    > our workgroup that had been working fine for months, but has suddenly
    > sprouted an odd networking problem.
    >
    > It can "see" all the other PC's on the workgroup, but all of a sudden
    > it can't see the Linux fileserver. The reason I believe it's the fault
    > of the laptop, is that none of the other 15 PC's on the workgroup is
    > having a problem connecting to the Linux box, AND the laptop is showing
    > some other unusual problems.
    >
    > It has a standard, on-board "Local Area Connection" NIC, and a "1394
    > Connection". (I think that's always been disabled.) When I "ipconfig
    > /all" I get the main NIC's info (although not the 1394, even when it's
    > enabled.) But if I "ipconfig /renew" I get:
    > "The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for
    > this operation."
    > Even though it's online, on the 'net, and connecting to other PC's.
    >
    > I've tried cold booting (unplugged AC, battery, and even CAT-5 cable
    > for a minute.) I've "repaired" the connection, and it gives the
    > standard sucessful repair message. I've checked all the TCP/IP settings
    > and all is fine.
    >
    > (By not "seeing" the fileserver, I mean not only can I not connect to
    > any of the shares the other Windows XP PC's can connect to, I can't
    > even ping its IP address.)
    >
    > Any ideas? What else can I do to troubleshoot?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    > Liam

TCP/IP Windows XP