Proper way to reinstall NVIDIA Universal drivers

I selected the NVIDIA audio drivers from Windows update after I had already
installed the Universal drivers for my motherboard. After installing from
Windows Update I did not have any audio and received a message that my
motherboard drivers could no longer be found.

To correct the problem I just re-ran the install program for NVIDIA and
selected to overwrite all files and then got my audio back. I then had
trouble with NERO so I uninstalled and reinstalled that, but I am still
receiving memory error messages.

What is the proper way to reinstall the NVIDIA universal drivers. I do have
driver cleaner, but have not used it yet because I was not sure how to
reinstall the NVIDIA drivers correctly. Do I do this in safe mode? Which
user do I select in safe mode--the one that says Administrator or my User
Account?
5 answers Last reply
More about proper reinstall nvidia universal drivers

    "Bernard Craig" <silverfox@netnitco.net> wrote in message
    >I selected the NVIDIA audio drivers from Windows update after I had
    >already installed the Universal drivers for my motherboard. After
    >installing from Windows Update I did not have any audio and received
    >a message that my motherboard drivers could no longer be found.
    >
    > To correct the problem I just re-ran the install program for NVIDIA
    > and selected to overwrite all files and then got my audio back. I
    > then had trouble with NERO so I uninstalled and reinstalled that,
    > but I am still receiving memory error messages.
    >
    > What is the proper way to reinstall the NVIDIA universal drivers. I
    > do have driver cleaner, but have not used it yet because I was not
    > sure how to reinstall the NVIDIA drivers correctly. Do I do this in
    > safe mode? Which user do I select in safe mode--the one that says
    > Administrator or my User Account?

    If anything like the Vid card drivers, uninstall from add/remove
    software applet in control panel first. What MB model and chipset?
    What sound (on board or separate card?)?

    They said: NIVIDIA Universal drivers --> that means the chipset is an
    NVIDIA.

    "Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > They said: NIVIDIA Universal drivers --> that means the chipset is
    > an NVIDIA.

    Assuming the poster knows his/her hardware, yes it would indicate that
    it is. I never assume. Unless the poster provides exact model numbers
    and specs. you can't be sure what they meant. I have people tell me
    everyday what they have in a system. At least what they "think" they
    have! ;)

    Your biggest problem was installing the drivers form Windows Update. A thing
    NEVER to do.
    Always get drivers from manufacturers website

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Bernard Craig" <silverfox@netnitco.net> kirjoitti viestissä
    > I selected the NVIDIA audio drivers from Windows update after I had
    already
    > installed the Universal drivers for my motherboard. After installing from
    > Windows Update I did not have any audio and received a message that my
    > motherboard drivers could no longer be found.
    >
    > To correct the problem I just re-ran the install program for NVIDIA and
    > selected to overwrite all files and then got my audio back. I then had
    > trouble with NERO so I uninstalled and reinstalled that, but I am still
    > receiving memory error messages.
    >
    > What is the proper way to reinstall the NVIDIA universal drivers. I do
    have
    > driver cleaner, but have not used it yet because I was not sure how to
    > reinstall the NVIDIA drivers correctly. Do I do this in safe mode? Which
    > user do I select in safe mode--the one that says Administrator or my User
    > Account?

    I have an ABIT NF7-S v2.0 Motherboard that requires the NVIDIA Universal
    motherboard drivers. My CPU is AMD Barton 2500+. Video card is ATI
    compatible S80 Stealth which uses the ATI Catalyst drivers.

    When I reran the install for the NVIDIA drivers it asked if I wanted to
    overwrite the files already in the temp directory which I did. I am afraid
    when I try to uninstall, I am going to have a problem because of this.

    At what point do I run the NVIDIA removal utility? do I do this in safe
    mode? If I get a new hardware wizard after I reinstall and reboot, do I
    cancel out of it or point it to the temp directory--one of the posts
    mentioned this?

    I never install drivers from Windows Update, but I was having problems with
    Media Player 10 and for some reason I thought they were updated codec's or
    something. It ended up they were older drivers.

    I will also turn off firewall and unplug scanner, webcam & printer.

    I have a feeling that I will end up doing a reformat over this. I have
    since installed the rest of my hardware and trying to uninstall everything
    now will probably create a bigger mess, but I will give it a try. I am now
    having trouble with Nero and my Logitech Media keyboard.
    "Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Your biggest problem was installing the drivers form Windows Update. A
    > thing
    > NEVER to do.
    > Always get drivers from manufacturers website
    >

    > --
    > Tumppi
    > Reply to group
    > Most learned on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
    > Helsinki, Finland (remove _NOSPAM)
    > (translations from FI/SE not always accurate)
    >

    > "Bernard Craig" <silverfox@netnitco.net> kirjoitti viestissä
    >> I selected the NVIDIA audio drivers from Windows update after I had
    > already
    >> installed the Universal drivers for my motherboard. After installing
    >> from
    >> Windows Update I did not have any audio and received a message that my
    >> motherboard drivers could no longer be found.
    >>
    >> To correct the problem I just re-ran the install program for NVIDIA and
    >> selected to overwrite all files and then got my audio back. I then had
    >> trouble with NERO so I uninstalled and reinstalled that, but I am still
    >> receiving memory error messages.
    >>
    >> What is the proper way to reinstall the NVIDIA universal drivers. I do
    > have
    >> driver cleaner, but have not used it yet because I was not sure how to
    >> reinstall the NVIDIA drivers correctly. Do I do this in safe mode? Which
    >> user do I select in safe mode--the one that says Administrator or my User
    >> Account?

Drivers Nvidia Windows XP