Proper way to reinstall NVIDIA Universal drivers

a b \ Driver
April 4, 2005 4:45:17 PM

I selected the NVIDIA audio drivers from Windows update after I had already
installed the Universal drivers for my motherboard. After installing from
Windows Update I did not have any audio and received a message that my
motherboard drivers could no longer be found.

To correct the problem I just re-ran the install program for NVIDIA and
selected to overwrite all files and then got my audio back. I then had
trouble with NERO so I uninstalled and reinstalled that, but I am still
receiving memory error messages.

What is the proper way to reinstall the NVIDIA universal drivers. I do have
driver cleaner, but have not used it yet because I was not sure how to
reinstall the NVIDIA drivers correctly. Do I do this in safe mode? Which
user do I select in safe mode--the one that says Administrator or my User
Account?
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
April 4, 2005 4:45:18 PM

"Bernard Craig" <silverfox@netnitco.net> wrote in message
>I selected the NVIDIA audio drivers from Windows update after I had
>already installed the Universal drivers for my motherboard. After
>installing from Windows Update I did not have any audio and received
>a message that my motherboard drivers could no longer be found.
>
> To correct the problem I just re-ran the install program for NVIDIA
> and selected to overwrite all files and then got my audio back. I
> then had trouble with NERO so I uninstalled and reinstalled that,
> but I am still receiving memory error messages.
>
> What is the proper way to reinstall the NVIDIA universal drivers. I
> do have driver cleaner, but have not used it yet because I was not
> sure how to reinstall the NVIDIA drivers correctly. Do I do this in
> safe mode? Which user do I select in safe mode--the one that says
> Administrator or my User Account?

If anything like the Vid card drivers, uninstall from add/remove
software applet in control panel first. What MB model and chipset?
What sound (on board or separate card?)?
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
April 5, 2005 1:58:57 AM

They said: NIVIDIA Universal drivers --> that means the chipset is an
NVIDIA.

"Slippery_one" <Slippery_one@nospam.net> wrote in message

> "Bernard Craig" <silverfox@netnitco.net> wrote in message
>>I selected the NVIDIA audio drivers from Windows update after I had
>>already installed the Universal drivers for my motherboard. After
>>installing from Windows Update I did not have any audio and received a
>>message that my motherboard drivers could no longer be found.
>>
>> To correct the problem I just re-ran the install program for NVIDIA and
>> selected to overwrite all files and then got my audio back. I then had
>> trouble with NERO so I uninstalled and reinstalled that, but I am still
>> receiving memory error messages.
>>
>> What is the proper way to reinstall the NVIDIA universal drivers. I do
>> have driver cleaner, but have not used it yet because I was not sure how
>> to reinstall the NVIDIA drivers correctly. Do I do this in safe mode?
>> Which user do I select in safe mode--the one that says Administrator or
>> my User Account?
>>

> If anything like the Vid card drivers, uninstall from add/remove software
> applet in control panel first. What MB model and chipset? What sound (on
> board or separate card?)?

a b \ Driver
April 5, 2005 2:34:35 PM

"Yves Leclerc" <yvesleclercNOSPAM@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> They said: NIVIDIA Universal drivers --> that means the chipset is
> an NVIDIA.

Assuming the poster knows his/her hardware, yes it would indicate that
it is. I never assume. Unless the poster provides exact model numbers
and specs. you can't be sure what they meant. I have people tell me
everyday what they have in a system. At least what they "think" they
have! ;)
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
April 5, 2005 5:44:55 PM

Your biggest problem was installing the drivers form Windows Update. A thing
NEVER to do.
Always get drivers from manufacturers website

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Bernard Craig" <silverfox@netnitco.net> kirjoitti viestissä
> I selected the NVIDIA audio drivers from Windows update after I had
already
> installed the Universal drivers for my motherboard. After installing from
> Windows Update I did not have any audio and received a message that my
> motherboard drivers could no longer be found.
>
> To correct the problem I just re-ran the install program for NVIDIA and
> selected to overwrite all files and then got my audio back. I then had
> trouble with NERO so I uninstalled and reinstalled that, but I am still
> receiving memory error messages.
>
> What is the proper way to reinstall the NVIDIA universal drivers. I do
have
> driver cleaner, but have not used it yet because I was not sure how to
> reinstall the NVIDIA drivers correctly. Do I do this in safe mode? Which
> user do I select in safe mode--the one that says Administrator or my User
> Account?

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
April 5, 2005 5:44:56 PM

I have an ABIT NF7-S v2.0 Motherboard that requires the NVIDIA Universal
motherboard drivers. My CPU is AMD Barton 2500+. Video card is ATI
compatible S80 Stealth which uses the ATI Catalyst drivers.

When I reran the install for the NVIDIA drivers it asked if I wanted to
overwrite the files already in the temp directory which I did. I am afraid
when I try to uninstall, I am going to have a problem because of this.

At what point do I run the NVIDIA removal utility? do I do this in safe
mode? If I get a new hardware wizard after I reinstall and reboot, do I
cancel out of it or point it to the temp directory--one of the posts
mentioned this?

I never install drivers from Windows Update, but I was having problems with
Media Player 10 and for some reason I thought they were updated codec's or
something. It ended up they were older drivers.

I will also turn off firewall and unplug scanner, webcam & printer.

I have a feeling that I will end up doing a reformat over this. I have
since installed the rest of my hardware and trying to uninstall everything
now will probably create a bigger mess, but I will give it a try. I am now
having trouble with Nero and my Logitech Media keyboard.

!