Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel

Does the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel work in XP?

I have this steering wheel and I go to Control Panel to Game Controllers and
select Add and then the Microsoft Sidewinder (auto detect).

It then comes up with a message "Your gameport or gameport drivers are not
properly configured, please consult your device manager".

My device manager shows no problems and I have all my sound card updated
drivers. Does this mean this device don't work in XP? It has worked in 98
and ME for me in the past.

If it does work in XP, does anyone know if I need to download additional
drivers or software to make it work?

Thanks,
Ed.
8 answers Last reply
More about sidewinder force feedback wheel

    Ed, XP should have built-in drivers for Sidewinder. Take a look here

    "Ed." <esmithoh(at)zoominternet.net> wrote in message
    > Does the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel work in XP?
    >
    > I have this steering wheel and I go to Control Panel to Game Controllers
    > and select Add and then the Microsoft Sidewinder (auto detect).
    >
    > It then comes up with a message "Your gameport or gameport drivers are not
    > properly configured, please consult your device manager".
    >
    > My device manager shows no problems and I have all my sound card updated
    > drivers. Does this mean this device don't work in XP? It has worked in 98
    > and ME for me in the past.
    >
    > If it does work in XP, does anyone know if I need to download additional
    > drivers or software to make it work?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ed.

    OK, thanks for the reply and the link. I will check it out.

    I forgot to mention and don't know if it makes any difference or not but
    this newer computer has onboard sound and no onboard gameport. The steering
    wheel had a gameport plug on it but also has the adapter from it to USB and
    I am trying to use as USB. My USB ports are working cause other things will
    work in them.

    Does this make any difference with XP not being able to detect and use it's
    built in drivers cause there is no gameport?

    Thanks,
    Ed.

    "Rich Barry" <rbarry@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Ed, XP should have built-in drivers for Sidewinder. Take a look here
    >

    > "Ed." <esmithoh(at)zoominternet.net> wrote in message
    >> Does the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel work in XP?
    >>
    >> I have this steering wheel and I go to Control Panel to Game Controllers
    >> and select Add and then the Microsoft Sidewinder (auto detect).
    >>
    >> It then comes up with a message "Your gameport or gameport drivers are
    >> not properly configured, please consult your device manager".
    >>
    >> My device manager shows no problems and I have all my sound card updated
    >> drivers. Does this mean this device don't work in XP? It has worked in 98
    >> and ME for me in the past.
    >>
    >> If it does work in XP, does anyone know if I need to download additional
    >> drivers or software to make it work?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Ed.

    Yes, it won't work with an adapter. The USB Controller needs to have the
    correct data hard coded in the actual device so that it knows what is
    connecting to it. No data = no connection. Since you cannot add the data
    to the FF Wheel you have a couple of options...

    Buy a separate soundcard with a gameport controller on it.
    or
    Buy a new Wheel.

    There is a Sidewinder FF Wheel with a USB connection but all Sidewinder
    devices are now discontinued. You can still often find them at EBay.
    Logitech also currently manufacture a similar device.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    > OK, thanks for the reply and the link. I will check it out.
    >
    > I forgot to mention and don't know if it makes any difference or not but
    > this newer computer has onboard sound and no onboard gameport. The
    > steering wheel had a gameport plug on it but also has the adapter from it
    > to USB and I am trying to use as USB. My USB ports are working cause other
    > things will work in them.
    >
    > Does this make any difference with XP not being able to detect and use
    > it's built in drivers cause there is no gameport?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ed.
    >
    > "Rich Barry" <rbarry@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> Ed, XP should have built-in drivers for Sidewinder. Take a look here
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216096/EN-US/
    >>

    >> "Ed." <esmithoh(at)zoominternet.net> wrote in message
    >>> Does the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel work in XP?
    >>>
    >>> I have this steering wheel and I go to Control Panel to Game Controllers
    >>> and select Add and then the Microsoft Sidewinder (auto detect).
    >>>
    >>> It then comes up with a message "Your gameport or gameport drivers are
    >>> not properly configured, please consult your device manager".
    >>>
    >>> My device manager shows no problems and I have all my sound card updated
    >>> drivers. Does this mean this device don't work in XP? It has worked in
    >>> 98 and ME for me in the past.
    >>>
    >>> If it does work in XP, does anyone know if I need to download additional
    >>> drivers or software to make it work?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Ed.

    I believe I saw on the Microsoft hardware site that many of
    the earlier FF joysticks and wheels are not supported by XP.
    A new FF wheel is needed that is supported by XP. It will be
    USB.

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in
    message news:%23V4OB$YOFHA.1476@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    | Yes, it won't work with an adapter. The USB Controller
    needs to have the
    | correct data hard coded in the actual device so that it
    knows what is
    | connecting to it. No data = no connection. Since you
    cannot add the data
    | to the FF Wheel you have a couple of options...
    |
    | Buy a separate soundcard with a gameport controller on it.
    | or
    | Buy a new Wheel.
    |
    | There is a Sidewinder FF Wheel with a USB connection but
    all Sidewinder
    | devices are now discontinued. You can still often find
    them at EBay.
    | Logitech also currently manufacture a similar device.
    | --
    | Cari (MS-MVP)
    | Printing & Imaging
    |
    | In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    |
    | "Ed." <esmithoh(at)zoominternet.net> wrote in message
    | > OK, thanks for the reply and the link. I will check it
    out.

    | > I forgot to mention and don't know if it makes any
    difference or not but
    | > this newer computer has onboard sound and no onboard
    gameport. The
    | > steering wheel had a gameport plug on it but also has
    the adapter from it
    | > to USB and I am trying to use as USB. My USB ports are
    working cause other
    | > things will work in them.
    | >
    | > Does this make any difference with XP not being able to
    detect and use
    | > it's built in drivers cause there is no gameport?
    | >
    | > Thanks,
    | > Ed.
    | >
    | > "Rich Barry" <rbarry@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    | >> Ed, XP should have built-in drivers for Sidewinder.
    Take a look here
    | >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216096/EN-US/
    | >>

    | >> "Ed." <esmithoh(at)zoominternet.net> wrote in message

    gameport drivers are

    It has worked in

    I can clear up some of this for you guys. :) There were two major releases
    of Sidewinder devices. The version 3 and version 4. The version 3 devices
    were all gameport devices with the exception of some of the Precision Pro's
    and the Freestyle Pro gamepad. Those devices came with a USB dongle that
    allowed them to operate on the USB bus. As Cari pointed out those devices
    had USB firmware on the device that allowed it to communicate on the USB
    bus. The two force feedback devices (the stick and the wheel) did not have
    the capability of connecting on the USB bus because the method they used to
    transmit force data was through the MIDI channels of the MIDI/gameport
    connector. Since gameport devices don't notify Windows they connected the
    user has to use the Add... button in the Gaming Options control panel to add
    the device. That will use the version of the 3.02 drivers that were
    specially modified and built into Windows XP.
    The version 4 devices are USB only and have drivers built into Windows XP.
    Just plug them in and they should be detected and load the drivers.
    Hope that helps.

    Joshua Smith
    OpenGL Test Lab
    Microsoft
    -----

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

    >I believe I saw on the Microsoft hardware site that many of
    > the earlier FF joysticks and wheels are not supported by XP.
    > A new FF wheel is needed that is supported by XP. It will be
    > USB.

    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in
    > message news:%23V4OB$YOFHA.1476@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > | Yes, it won't work with an adapter. The USB Controller
    > needs to have the
    > | correct data hard coded in the actual device so that it
    > knows what is
    > | connecting to it. No data = no connection. Since you
    > cannot add the data
    > | to the FF Wheel you have a couple of options...
    > |
    > | Buy a separate soundcard with a gameport controller on it.
    > | or
    > | Buy a new Wheel.
    > |
    > | There is a Sidewinder FF Wheel with a USB connection but
    > all Sidewinder
    > | devices are now discontinued. You can still often find
    > them at EBay.
    > | Logitech also currently manufacture a similar device.
    > | --
    > | Cari (MS-MVP)
    > | Printing & Imaging
    > |
    > | In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    > |
    > | "Ed." <esmithoh(at)zoominternet.net> wrote in message
    > | > OK, thanks for the reply and the link. I will check it
    > out.
    > | >
    > | > I forgot to mention and don't know if it makes any
    > difference or not but
    > | > this newer computer has onboard sound and no onboard
    > gameport. The
    > | > steering wheel had a gameport plug on it but also has
    > the adapter from it
    > | > to USB and I am trying to use as USB. My USB ports are
    > working cause other
    > | > things will work in them.
    > | >
    > | > Does this make any difference with XP not being able to
    > detect and use
    > | > it's built in drivers cause there is no gameport?
    > | >
    > | > Thanks,
    > | > Ed.
    > | >
    > | > "Rich Barry" <rbarry@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Take a look here

    > work in XP?

    > to Game Controllers
    > detect).

    > gameport drivers are
    > manager".

    > sound card updated
    > It has worked in

    > download additional

    Thanks to all for the replies. It makes sense now. I will pick up a cheap
    sound card with a gameport and give it a try. I am not sure if the USB
    adapter connector that I am using is actually the one that came with the
    steering wheel. In fact, I am not sure if a USB Adapter even came with it. I
    might have just tried using the one that came with the Joy Stick I have. If
    so, then that might explain why not working also.

    Thanks again,
    Ed.

    "Joshua Smith [MSFT]" <joshsm@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> needs to have the
    >> | correct data hard coded in the actual device so that it
    >> knows what is
    >> | connecting to it. No data = no connection. Since you
    >> cannot add the data
    >> | to the FF Wheel you have a couple of options...
    >> |
    >> | Buy a separate soundcard with a gameport controller on it.
    >> | or
    >> | Buy a new Wheel.
    >> |
    >> | There is a Sidewinder FF Wheel with a USB connection but
    >> all Sidewinder
    >> | devices are now discontinued. You can still often find
    >> them at EBay.
    >> | Logitech also currently manufacture a similar device.
    >> | --
    >> | Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> | Printing & Imaging
    >> |
    >> | In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >> |
    >> | "Ed." <esmithoh(at)zoominternet.net> wrote in message

    Have you updated the drivers for the specific device - checked for XP
    drivers?
    I presume you would need the correct device drivers for XP. 98/ME drivers
    obviously won't work.

    Being that it is a microsoft hardware device, I'm sure they'd go out of
    their way to make sure their own hardware products worked with their OS, and
    therefore provide XP drivers for it.

    "Ed." <esmithoh(at)zoominternet.net> wrote in message
    > Does the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel work in XP?
    >
    > I have this steering wheel and I go to Control Panel to Game Controllers
    > and select Add and then the Microsoft Sidewinder (auto detect).
    >
    > It then comes up with a message "Your gameport or gameport drivers are not
    > properly configured, please consult your device manager".
    >
    > My device manager shows no problems and I have all my sound card updated
    > drivers. Does this mean this device don't work in XP? It has worked in 98
    > and ME for me in the past.
    >
    > If it does work in XP, does anyone know if I need to download additional
    > drivers or software to make it work?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ed.

    USB is 'plug and play' so it *should* detect the device.

    "Ed." <esmithoh(at)zoominternet.net> wrote in message
    > OK, thanks for the reply and the link. I will check it out.
    >
    > I forgot to mention and don't know if it makes any difference or not but
    > this newer computer has onboard sound and no onboard gameport. The
    > steering wheel had a gameport plug on it but also has the adapter from it
    > to USB and I am trying to use as USB. My USB ports are working cause other
    > things will work in them.
    >
    > Does this make any difference with XP not being able to detect and use
    > it's built in drivers cause there is no gameport?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ed.
    >
    > "Rich Barry" <rbarry@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> Ed, XP should have built-in drivers for Sidewinder. Take a look here
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216096/EN-US/
    >>

    >> "Ed." <esmithoh(at)zoominternet.net> wrote in message
    >>> Does the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel work in XP?
    >>>
    >>> I have this steering wheel and I go to Control Panel to Game Controllers
    >>> and select Add and then the Microsoft Sidewinder (auto detect).
    >>>
    >>> It then comes up with a message "Your gameport or gameport drivers are
    >>> not properly configured, please consult your device manager".
    >>>
    >>> My device manager shows no problems and I have all my sound card updated
    >>> drivers. Does this mean this device don't work in XP? It has worked in
    >>> 98 and ME for me in the past.
    >>>
    >>> If it does work in XP, does anyone know if I need to download additional
    >>> drivers or software to make it work?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Ed.

Microsoft Windows XP