ss51g problems

I think this may have started when I added 512mb of ram. The ram I
started with is 2100. I added 2700. The system sees all the ram but
sometimes the system reverts back to default monitor setting while
watching movies. I think this only started after I added the faster
ram.

I left the system unused for 8 months when I went to China, Upon my
return I attempted to set the time from within windows xp pro but
while it would appear to take the time setting with no error messages
the time never changed. Tonight I tried resetting it in the bios but
when I enter the bios I can only hit the page up key or any other key
three times and the bios freezes with a message in a red box saying
something about loading failsafe defaults. AT that point though I can
only exit via the reset or restart but when I go back the bios
calendar was incremented.

I guess the first thing I need to do is to get the bios so that I can
do more than one keystroke before it hangs. Is a flash the answer to
this kind of problem? Msinfo says the bios is LTD 6.00 PG 7/17/02.

Usually there aren't any problems aside from playing movies but I only
discovered the bios freeze problem tonight and I'm not sure what is
going on.

thanks for any suggestions.

Mike
2 answers Last reply
More about ss51g problems
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 04:35:05 -0700, Mike Maas
    <docmaas-nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I think this may have started when I added 512mb of ram. The ram I
    >started with is 2100. I added 2700. The system sees all the ram but
    >sometimes the system reverts back to default monitor setting while
    >watching movies. I think this only started after I added the faster
    >ram.
    >
    >I left the system unused for 8 months when I went to China, Upon my
    >return I attempted to set the time from within windows xp pro but
    >while it would appear to take the time setting with no error messages
    >the time never changed. Tonight I tried resetting it in the bios but
    >when I enter the bios I can only hit the page up key or any other key
    >three times and the bios freezes with a message in a red box saying
    >something about loading failsafe defaults. AT that point though I can
    >only exit via the reset or restart but when I go back the bios
    >calendar was incremented.
    >
    >I guess the first thing I need to do is to get the bios so that I can
    >do more than one keystroke before it hangs. Is a flash the answer to
    >this kind of problem? Msinfo says the bios is LTD 6.00 PG 7/17/02.
    >
    >Usually there aren't any problems aside from playing movies but I only
    >discovered the bios freeze problem tonight and I'm not sure what is
    >going on.
    >
    >thanks for any suggestions.
    >
    >Mike
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.shuttle (More info?)

    Mike Maas wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 04:35:05 -0700, Mike Maas
    > <docmaas-nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >>I think this may have started when I added 512mb of ram. The ram I
    >>started with is 2100. I added 2700. The system sees all the ram but
    >>sometimes the system reverts back to default monitor setting while
    >>watching movies. I think this only started after I added the faster
    >>ram.
    >>
    >>I left the system unused for 8 months when I went to China, Upon my
    >>return I attempted to set the time from within windows xp pro but
    >>while it would appear to take the time setting with no error messages
    >>the time never changed. Tonight I tried resetting it in the bios but
    >>when I enter the bios I can only hit the page up key or any other key
    >>three times and the bios freezes with a message in a red box saying
    >>something about loading failsafe defaults. AT that point though I can
    >>only exit via the reset or restart but when I go back the bios
    >>calendar was incremented.
    >>
    >>I guess the first thing I need to do is to get the bios so that I can
    >>do more than one keystroke before it hangs. Is a flash the answer to
    >>this kind of problem? Msinfo says the bios is LTD 6.00 PG 7/17/02.
    >>
    >>Usually there aren't any problems aside from playing movies but I only
    >>discovered the bios freeze problem tonight and I'm not sure what is
    >>going on.
    >>
    >>thanks for any suggestions.
    >>
    >>Mike

    It sounds like a dead battery (for the CMOS).

RAM Motherboards