I think this may have started when I added 512mb of ram. The ram I
started with is 2100. I added 2700. The system sees all the ram but
sometimes the system reverts back to default monitor setting while
watching movies. I think this only started after I added the faster
ram.

I left the system unused for 8 months when I went to China, Upon my
return I attempted to set the time from within windows xp pro but
while it would appear to take the time setting with no error messages
the time never changed. Tonight I tried resetting it in the bios but
when I enter the bios I can only hit the page up key or any other key
three times and the bios freezes with a message in a red box saying
something about loading failsafe defaults. AT that point though I can
only exit via the reset or restart but when I go back the bios
calendar was incremented.

I guess the first thing I need to do is to get the bios so that I can
do more than one keystroke before it hangs. Is a flash the answer to
this kind of problem? Msinfo says the bios is LTD 6.00 PG 7/17/02.

Usually there aren't any problems aside from playing movies but I only
discovered the bios freeze problem tonight and I'm not sure what is
going on.

thanks for any suggestions.

Mike

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 04:35:05 -0700, Mike Maas
<docmaas-nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I think this may have started when I added 512mb of ram. The ram I
>started with is 2100. I added 2700. The system sees all the ram but
>sometimes the system reverts back to default monitor setting while
>watching movies. I think this only started after I added the faster
>ram.
>
>I left the system unused for 8 months when I went to China, Upon my
>return I attempted to set the time from within windows xp pro but
>while it would appear to take the time setting with no error messages
>the time never changed. Tonight I tried resetting it in the bios but
>when I enter the bios I can only hit the page up key or any other key
>three times and the bios freezes with a message in a red box saying
>something about loading failsafe defaults. AT that point though I can
>only exit via the reset or restart but when I go back the bios
>calendar was incremented.
>
>I guess the first thing I need to do is to get the bios so that I can
>do more than one keystroke before it hangs. Is a flash the answer to
>this kind of problem? Msinfo says the bios is LTD 6.00 PG 7/17/02.
>
>Usually there aren't any problems aside from playing movies but I only
>discovered the bios freeze problem tonight and I'm not sure what is
>going on.
>
>thanks for any suggestions.
>
>Mike

cjt

Mike Maas wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 04:35:05 -0700, Mike Maas
> <docmaas-nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>I think this may have started when I added 512mb of ram. The ram I
>>started with is 2100. I added 2700. The system sees all the ram but
>>sometimes the system reverts back to default monitor setting while
>>watching movies. I think this only started after I added the faster
>>ram.
>>
>>I left the system unused for 8 months when I went to China, Upon my
>>return I attempted to set the time from within windows xp pro but
>>while it would appear to take the time setting with no error messages
>>the time never changed. Tonight I tried resetting it in the bios but
>>when I enter the bios I can only hit the page up key or any other key
>>three times and the bios freezes with a message in a red box saying
>>something about loading failsafe defaults. AT that point though I can
>>only exit via the reset or restart but when I go back the bios
>>calendar was incremented.
>>
>>I guess the first thing I need to do is to get the bios so that I can
>>do more than one keystroke before it hangs. Is a flash the answer to
>>this kind of problem? Msinfo says the bios is LTD 6.00 PG 7/17/02.
>>
>>Usually there aren't any problems aside from playing movies but I only
>>discovered the bios freeze problem tonight and I'm not sure what is
>>going on.
>>
>>thanks for any suggestions.
>>
>>Mike

It sounds like a dead battery (for the CMOS).