SB61G2 - knackered BIOS - how to replace?

Hi,

In a moment of madness I decided to upgarde my BIOS, even though I had no
need to do so.

Sod's law dictates that in such circumstances I was bound to kill my BIOS -
and lo and behold I did.

I somehow lost video. After a bit of faffing around, the video mysteriously
came back and I quick reflashed back to the original BIOS. Unfortunately I
then accidentally flashed it again but accidentally bombed it out half way
through. Doh! I'm now back to no video at all, and can't boot off the
AWDFLASH floppy (or CD) anymore.

So a few questions:

1. Where is the BIOS chip located on an SB61G2 (V1 I think)? I can't see it
in the mainboard manual.
2. Is it easily removable, or is it soldered in?
3. Any recommendations for where to get a replacement, good BIOS?

Cheers,

Fred.
In the UK.

"Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> In a moment of madness I decided to upgarde my BIOS, even though I had no
> need to do so.
>
> Sod's law dictates that in such circumstances I was bound to kill my
BIOS -
> and lo and behold I did.
>
> I somehow lost video. After a bit of faffing around, the video
mysteriously
> came back and I quick reflashed back to the original BIOS. Unfortunately I
> then accidentally flashed it again but accidentally bombed it out half way
> through. Doh! I'm now back to no video at all, and can't boot off the
> AWDFLASH floppy (or CD) anymore.
>
> So a few questions:
>
> 1. Where is the BIOS chip located on an SB61G2 (V1 I think)? I can't see
it
> in the mainboard manual.
> 2. Is it easily removable, or is it soldered in?
> 3. Any recommendations for where to get a replacement, good BIOS?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Fred.
> In the UK.

I don't know exactly where the bios chip is on your board - but a while ago
I posted an answer to a query regarding a different shuttle board - it may
still be relevant.
The poster had found a supplier for a replacement bios (sorry,don't know
where - try a google search).

The bios is the square shaped "PLCC type" chip in a small socket
near the CPU under the fan. (May need to remove CPU heatsink and the fan to
get good access)
You are advised to use a special extractor tool.
It is possible BUT NOT RECOMMENDED to use two very small screwdrivers or
paperclips instead, inserted into the recesses at two corners. There is a
risk that you could crack the socket or damage the motherboard if you use
this method!
See this guide http://www.thehistoryofcomputers.com/items/3460014432.html
and here http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=194 (just for the chip removal
pictures - I don't advise hot-swapping the chips)

Dave

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 01:42:23 +0100, "Fred Finisterre"
<finisterre@gmail.com> wrote:

>In a moment of madness I decided to upgarde my BIOS, even though I had no
>need to do so.
>
>Sod's law dictates that in such circumstances I was bound to kill my BIOS -
>and lo and behold I did.
>
>I somehow lost video. After a bit of faffing around, the video mysteriously
>came back and I quick reflashed back to the original BIOS. Unfortunately I
>then accidentally flashed it again but accidentally bombed it out half way
>through. Doh! I'm now back to no video at all, and can't boot off the
>AWDFLASH floppy (or CD) anymore.
>
>So a few questions:
>
>1. Where is the BIOS chip located on an SB61G2 (V1 I think)? I can't see it
>in the mainboard manual.
>2. Is it easily removable, or is it soldered in?
>3. Any recommendations for where to get a replacement, good BIOS?

- Have you tried clearing the CMOS?
- If you have a floppy, this might work:
http://www.computerworld.no/bildearkiv/77C7DA89-9C93-DBBD-C3B5A48F110373A5.jpg
- Many of the motherboardmanufaturers will be able to send you a new
BIOS-chip. The chip removable and located next to the floppyconnector
on this motherboard if I remember correctly (have one of these
systems).

(hmm.. been doing BIOS-flashing and other firmware-updates weekly for
sevral years... not sure how many times I have done it... a lot...
still no bad flashes....)

--
Clas Mehus
Dataguiden : http://www.pcworld.no/dataguiden/

"Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> In a moment of madness I decided to upgarde my BIOS, even though I had no
> need to do so.
>
> Sod's law dictates that in such circumstances I was bound to kill my
> BIOS -
> and lo and behold I did.
>
> I somehow lost video. After a bit of faffing around, the video
> mysteriously
> came back and I quick reflashed back to the original BIOS. Unfortunately I
> then accidentally flashed it again but accidentally bombed it out half way
> through. Doh! I'm now back to no video at all, and can't boot off the
> AWDFLASH floppy (or CD) anymore.
>
> So a few questions:
>
> 1. Where is the BIOS chip located on an SB61G2 (V1 I think)? I can't see
> it
> in the mainboard manual.
> 2. Is it easily removable, or is it soldered in?
> 3. Any recommendations for where to get a replacement, good BIOS?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Fred.
> In the UK.

Had similar problems strange as have flashed fair few boards with no trouble
before.
Got new chip from an Italian supplier sorry at moment cant find addy but
will look they gave great service and quite cheap. was not that hard to do,
but you must get tool for job, it is not soldered in just needs care and
patience. What is strange is that since putting new chip in it has worked
perfectly but before from day one had little problems with it, all have been
solved including problem setting up speakers.

regards Mike