Windows XP corrupting HD - what is the solution?

Jonathan

Hi!

I have read many posts about this problem, it would seem it is well
known (and yet another indication of poor quality from Microsoft). I
used my PC for over a year with Windows XP without a hitch, but only
recently it started to give me the blue 'Windows has been stopped to
protect your hardware' screen with various errors on it; recently I
got sick of my PC crawling along because it was full of irremovable
files and such, so I reformatted it and did a clean install of XP -
big mistake! It repeatedly gave me the blue 'corrupt HD' screen, and
I was all ready to dump my HD (as many other people have said) until I
tried to install XP again, without installing anything else. Now it
seems to work just fine, although I only did that today so there's
still time.

My question is this: what am I to do to fix it? Is there a website I
should look at to find a list of updated drivers or whatever for my
hardware for this shabbily written version of Windows? I am not going
to buy new hardware as I know my existing hardware works just fine in
it's own right.

Thanks!

"Windows XP corrupting HD - what is the solution?"
The question is far to vague.

Nothing in Windows physically damages your hardware.
It sounds like you are placing the blame to the wrong source.
If your drivers need updating, that is up to the hardware manufacturer and
not Microsoft.
Since the list of hardware manufacturers is nearly endless and the list of
specific hardware many times longer, there is no single list for updated
drivers.
You need to check with the specific hardware manufacturers for updated
drivers and compatibility issues.

You also need to keep your computer safe and secure:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/security.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Jonathan" <jonny_morrisuk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I have read many posts about this problem, it would seem it is well
> known (and yet another indication of poor quality from Microsoft). I
> used my PC for over a year with Windows XP without a hitch, but only
> recently it started to give me the blue 'Windows has been stopped to
> protect your hardware' screen with various errors on it; recently I
> got sick of my PC crawling along because it was full of irremovable
> files and such, so I reformatted it and did a clean install of XP -
> big mistake! It repeatedly gave me the blue 'corrupt HD' screen, and
> I was all ready to dump my HD (as many other people have said) until I
> tried to install XP again, without installing anything else. Now it
> seems to work just fine, although I only did that today so there's
> still time.
>
> My question is this: what am I to do to fix it? Is there a website I
> should look at to find a list of updated drivers or whatever for my
> hardware for this shabbily written version of Windows? I am not going
> to buy new hardware as I know my existing hardware works just fine in
> it's own right.
>
> Thanks!

jonny_morrisuk@yahoo.co.uk (Jonathan) wrote:

<snip>

>My question is this: what am I to do to fix it? Is there a website I
>should look at to find a list of updated drivers or whatever for my
>hardware for this shabbily written version of Windows? I am not going
>to buy new hardware as I know my existing hardware works just fine in
>it's own right.
>
>Thanks!

Hardware drivers are the responsibility of the hardware manufacturers,
not Microsoft.

If you suspect that you may have a driver related problem then you
need to check with the manufacturer(s) of the device(s) concerned -
computer, motherboard, video card, printer, sound card, etc etc - and
obtain the latest Windows XP driver for the exact model that you have.

If you are getting corruption on the hard drive then there a number of
possible causes:

1. The hard drive itself. Get the free diagnostic utility from the
hard drive manufacturer's web site and run it to check out your drive.
Also ensure that S.M.A.R.T. monitoring for the hard drive is enabled
in your computer's BIOS setup.

2. Motherboard drivers. If you have a major brand computer then
check with the computer manufacturer's web site for updates for your
exact model number. Otherwise check with the motherboard
manufacturer's web site.

3. Virus/spyware infestation. Ensure that your antivirus software is
completely up to date, with the virus definitions not more than a week
old, and do a complete scan of your hard drive. Then get a "second
opinion" by doing a free online virus scan at one of the following web
sites:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

Next try the free online spyware scanner at MVP Jim Eshelman's web
site at http://aumha.org/a/noads.htm and if anything is found then use
his Quick Fix procedure at http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

--
Treeman

Jonathan

Thankyou, yours has been the most helpful post by far :D

I know for a fact that my PC is totally clean as I completely wiped it
and started afresh from the WindowsXP install CD, ran the latest
version of AVG after the install and after installing various other
pieces of software, so I can definitely rule out any infection.

I am aware that no physical damage can occure from this fault, and it
IS a fault with Windows XP in my opinion because it has not occured
with any other Windows version on the exact same hardware.

As for the drivers, I would expect a massive corporation such as
Microsoft to invest the time and money to making sure their software
IS 100% compatible with EVERY piece of hardware. Don't tell me they
can't afford it because we all know they have the money to buy half
the world, probably. (anyone who takes that comment seriously needs a
big kick!! ;)

Anyway, I will look for some updated drivers for my hardware, but to
be honest I might just prefer to roll back to Win2k for (relative)
stability and piece of mind.

I am more used to the Silicon Graphics way of doing things - they make
the hardware and the software so things are 99.9% reliable. It amazes
me why Microsoft don't do the same, just buy a few major PC component
manufacturers and make their own 100% Windows compatible PC, problem
solved!

Thanks again!

jonny_morrisuk@yahoo.co.uk (Jonathan) wrote in

> I have read many posts about this problem, it would seem it is
> well known (and yet another indication of poor quality from
> Microsoft). I used my PC for over a year with Windows XP
> without a hitch, but only recently it started to give me the
> blue 'Windows has been stopped to protect your hardware' screen
> with various errors on it;

Suggest you check your disk drive for hardware faults, using the
manufacturer's diagnostic utility. Let us know the outcome...

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 04:09:46 -0700, Jonathan wrote:

> I am more used to the Silicon Graphics way of doing things - they make
> the hardware and the software so things are 99.9% reliable. It amazes
> me why Microsoft don't do the same, just buy a few major PC component
> manufacturers and make their own 100% Windows compatible PC, problem
> solved!

With SGI not actually testing every vendors products in the world, you
have the same issues that MS has if SGI worked with every vendors product.
I suppose you don't know about the MS Certifications? If it's certified,
and the vendor has taken the time to get a cert, it will work perfectly
with Windows. If you purchase non-certified products, then it's your
responsibility and the vendors to see that you can make it work with
Windows (just like with SGI or AIX or HPUX or Apple OS/X or any other).

Don't blame MS for the vendor and your choice, you have every opportunity
to purchase certified products if you wanted to.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Jonathan;
"...making sure their software IS 100% compatible with EVERY piece of
hardware."
Impossible, no one not even Microsoft can do that.
If you look you will see even the major hardware players have a difficult
time keeping their hardware drivers up to date.

If you want 100% compatibility, buy and stick with an OEM computer such as
Gateway or Dell.
The OEMs test compatibility of the systems they sell usually including
peripherals they also sell.

I also think you would find that "few major PC component manufacturers"
would be way more than a few after you take into account not just your
needs, but others as well.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

> Thankyou, yours has been the most helpful post by far :D
>
> I know for a fact that my PC is totally clean as I completely wiped it
> and started afresh from the WindowsXP install CD, ran the latest
> version of AVG after the install and after installing various other
> pieces of software, so I can definitely rule out any infection.
>
> I am aware that no physical damage can occure from this fault, and it
> IS a fault with Windows XP in my opinion because it has not occured
> with any other Windows version on the exact same hardware.
>
> As for the drivers, I would expect a massive corporation such as
> Microsoft to invest the time and money to making sure their software
> IS 100% compatible with EVERY piece of hardware. Don't tell me they
> can't afford it because we all know they have the money to buy half
> the world, probably. (anyone who takes that comment seriously needs a
> big kick!! ;)
>
> Anyway, I will look for some updated drivers for my hardware, but to
> be honest I might just prefer to roll back to Win2k for (relative)
> stability and piece of mind.
>

> I am more used to the Silicon Graphics way of doing things - they make
> the hardware and the software so things are 99.9% reliable. It amazes
> me why Microsoft don't do the same, just buy a few major PC component
> manufacturers and make their own 100% Windows compatible PC, problem
> solved!
>
> Thanks again!

I had this on one of my PCs. It was caused by a faulty IDE cable, at least
it was cheap to replace. If you decide to try a new cable, to eliminate
this as a possibility buy a round one as they are easier to fit and get a
known brand like Belkin or Akasa.